PDA

View Full Version : KillJoy's Brake Dilema

KillJoy
04-15-2008, 09:32 AM
The beginning of next month, we will be headed to TN. While there, I am considering a trip to Deal's Gap. My car currently has EBC Pads and Rotors w/ SS lines. IMO, these are no better than stock, and were weak at the KY Meet. So.....Here is my delima:

I want a Big Brake Kit. I have already decided which one I want. However, I do not want to spend the amount of money they cost, at this time.

SO..... I am looking at stock Pads and Rotors.

I have several options here.....

I am definately using Ceramix Pads. But, do I just install Pads only? If I do this, I would like to turn the Rotors. However, the Rotors could possibly need to be beat to hell to break free. I did put anti-seize on them when I installed them.... so... I won't know until I try.

If I do Pads and Rotors, I am at about $400 Front and Rear. A BBK is about $1500.

HOWEVER, the BBK would not include Rear Brakes.

Help me out all..... what would YOU do?????

:dunno:

KillJoy

RF Overlord
04-15-2008, 09:40 AM
Steve, if you applied anti-seize when you installed the rotors, they *should* come apart easily, however if the rotors are not severely scored or gouged, I'd just hit them with some garnet paper or something similar to break the glaze and install the pads. That's what I'm doing to Phoebe this weekend when I install the ceramic pads I got from Dennis.

Breadfan
04-15-2008, 09:41 AM
If the rotor is stuck you can get it off using PB Blaster, some heat, and at worst a rubber mallet. It will take longer to get off if it's truly stuck in this manner but will protect it from damage.

FYI I put new pads on my OEM brakes this weekend. I know I may be chastized for what I'm about to say but I did not remove my rotors for turning or replacement just put new pads in.

I know where you are coming from I want a big brake kit and know what I want but I opted for $60 brake pads instead of $1500 brakes for now.

ctrlraven
04-15-2008, 09:48 AM
I feel you man. I had EBC rotors with their Green Stuff street pads and were deathly awful even with SS lines. Pads were eating up the rotors. Switched to the Napa pads and everything was great. 23k miles later on the rotors I know they are wrapped. I am just going to either get stock rotors or something close to stock for the meanwhile. Over the weekend I drove a MM with a BBK, omg I loved it!

fastblackmerc
04-15-2008, 09:57 AM
IMHO... the only way to go is with a big brake upgrade for the front. You'll love it. Car stops on a dime and give you $00.09 back in change.

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u133/fastblackmerc/MM%20Mods/TCE%20Brake%20Upgrade/Complete2.jpg
http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u133/fastblackmerc/MM%20Mods/TCE%20Brake%20Upgrade/TCESetup1.jpg
http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u133/fastblackmerc/MM%20Mods/TCE%20Brake%20Upgrade/New1.jpg

Zack
04-15-2008, 10:30 AM
Wish I could say I am happy with the Wildwoods.

They make a horrible grinding noise (with the 2 pads I have tried) they absolutely destroy factory rims with the dust, and they dont like to get dirty, cause its almost impossible to get them looking decent again.

RF Overlord
04-15-2008, 10:53 AM
Interesting...

I'm very happy with the Wilwoods (not Wildwoods) on The Blackbird. They have excellent pedal feel and make no noise at all, although the pads Todd at TCE supplied DO shed a fair amount.

Breadfan
04-15-2008, 11:08 AM
What kinda pads do the Wilwoods use? Is it the Wilwoods or Baer's that use Corvette C5 pads?

KillJoy
04-15-2008, 11:13 AM
I am not sure. It seems all vendors of BBK's do not like letting it be known what their parts are interchangable with. Like.... this BBK will work on this, this or this.

:rolleyes:

KillJoy

Breadfan
04-15-2008, 11:22 AM
Probaby the Baers that use C5's pads anyway C5's use floating calipers stock and that is close to stock C5 calipers

FordNut
04-15-2008, 11:35 AM
Get the Baer kit. Yes, it's the Baer that crosses to th vette pads. When the rotors wear out, replace them with the DBA rotors I found, the info is posted here somewhere. When you need new pads, use the Metal Masters. They're getting harder to find, but work better than anything else I've had on my car.

KillJoy
04-15-2008, 11:40 AM
Get the Baer kit. Yes, it's the Baer that crosses to th vette pads. When the rotors wear out, replace them with the DBA rotors I found, the info is posted here somewhere. When you need new pads, use the Metal Masters. They're getting harder to find, but work better than anything else I've had on my car.

Funny you should post here. I was told to get the Brake Setup that YOU use :D I was just not to the point yet to dive in, so I had not yet bothered.

Where did you get your Baer's from? Will they ship w/o Pads / Rotors? Do you know if the Caliper and Bracket cross to anything else? Ho close are the Baer Brakes to a stock C5 Caliper?

KillJoy

Breadfan
04-15-2008, 11:44 AM
Trilogy was at one a seller of the Baer kit. Since Wes sells Trilogy stuff too maybe Wes has 'em or has leads to them?

KillJoy
04-15-2008, 11:53 AM
Trilogy was at one a seller of the Baer kit. Since Wes sells Trilogy stuff too maybe Wes has 'em or has leads to them?

I was on Trilogy's Site a few days ago, and there is no longer a mention of the Brakes.

:(

KillJoy

wchain
04-15-2008, 01:33 PM
I do in fact carry the Baer Big Brake kit :beer:

TheDonk
04-15-2008, 01:33 PM
For those that want to look at a stock size replacement rotor to go w/
new ceramic pads --- Brembo now has aftermarket rotors to fit,
Front 27221 and Rear 27222. I've started w/ the front and paid $85 each.
I believe they also have drilled or slotted available, if that floats your boat. Just getting the alternative info out there.

KillJoy
04-15-2008, 01:49 PM
I do in fact carry the Baer Big Brake kit :beer:

Pricing?????

:D

KillJoy

FordNut
04-15-2008, 02:33 PM
Funny you should post here. I was told to get the Brake Setup that YOU use :D I was just not to the point yet to dive in, so I had not yet bothered.

Where did you get your Baer's from? Will they ship w/o Pads / Rotors? Do you know if the Caliper and Bracket cross to anything else? Ho close are the Baer Brakes to a stock C5 Caliper?

KillJoy

I actually got the KVR kit but had some issues. The calipers for the Baer kit are pretty much the same as the KVR, which are modified versions of the same calipers the 'vette uses. I think they're made by PBR. The Baer brackets are better. The Baer hats will fit the DBA rotors but the KVR won't.

You can order the pieces from Baer and put together your own kit, but it'll take a bit of work. The brackets and hats are the most critical items.

KillJoy
04-15-2008, 04:53 PM
Well all.... I just ordered a Baer Kit from Wes!

:up:

My impressions to follow!

KillJoy

Raudermaster
04-15-2008, 05:05 PM
I'll be right behind you Steve.

KillJoy
04-15-2008, 05:16 PM
I'll be right behind you Steve.

Well.... get hoppin' froggy!

KillJoy

Hack Goby
04-15-2008, 05:27 PM
Steve,What ever you do take 129 in from Knoxville.You will get double the twisties and be seasick by the time you get to Deal`s Gap.

Todd TCE
04-19-2008, 05:10 PM
Wish I could say I am happy with the Wildwoods.

They make a horrible grinding noise (with the 2 pads I have tried) they absolutely destroy factory rims with the dust, and they dont like to get dirty, cause its almost impossible to get them looking decent again.

FWIW, I informed Zack that I stock six pad compounds for the BSL6n caliper, of those six two are purely street performance pads, one is more of an AutoX pad, the other three dedicated track compounds. In addition to those I can also supply two others; Poly E and Poly Q pads for this caliper. The E compound is very similar to the D and BP20 while the Q pad (Raybestos Quietstop) is no longer listed on my page as I've had too many customer complaints over time about their breaking down with hard use. For users not wishing to exploit the benefits of the BBK and want only the best option in low dust and noise this may be a viable choice. I'm not sure on the grinding but I'd also check the clearance from the caliper bolt ends to the rotor (they are very close) and be certain of an ample 3/32" or so for good measure. Pad compounds vary in metallic content also and while some folks prefer the more aggressive application others do not. A trade off of bite for less noise and dust will also have a negative effect on torque so do consider options based upon expectations.

Other suppliers such as Hawk, Porterfield, Ferrodo and Cobalt may also offer pads for the Wilwood BSL6n caliper. Pads are sourced by the pad plate and these and nearly all Wilwood pads share no oem interchange. They are racing products which will require one look to new sources for options. This plate is a 7416 series and will cross reference to a Hawk HB521.650. While I'm not up to speed on what's offered for this from Hawk today they are one of the leading suppliers of aftermarket pads.

The other suppliers may be worth considering also but I'm even less familiar with there compounds to make any suggestions. Sorry.

Blk Mamba
04-19-2008, 05:22 PM
Are you talking about Tail of the Dragon, at Deals Gap?

318 curves in 11 miles!!!

Todd TCE
04-19-2008, 05:32 PM
I've run that road. With the MINI gang.

If someone goes with the Wilwood calipers call Zack and take his BP20s for that trip. You'll need them.

ts-pa
04-22-2008, 01:31 PM
Someday I'll check out that stretch of road. Just be careful of your speed, I've read that there are a lot of speed traps there.

KillJoy
04-22-2008, 01:35 PM
Due to some family issues... we just cancelled our vacation to TN.

:(

No twisties for me this time around.

KillJoy

Blk Mamba
04-22-2008, 03:22 PM
Someday I'll check out that stretch of road. Just be careful of your speed, I've read that there are a lot of speed traps there.

I've heard you take your life in your own hands regardless!