PDA

View Full Version : Capitol Raceway Imports vs. Domestics 04/13/08

ctrlraven
04-15-2008, 05:58 PM
CheeseheadBob's Trilogy that I had the unbelievable pleasure of piloting.

12.297 @ 111.72
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NSJtxzB6vE
5NSJtxzB6vE

12.531 @ 98.55
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Olq7DFCXZM0
Olq7DFCXZM0

12.507 @ 99.02
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXKCPb_v5FM
AXKCPb_v5FM

NATEHAWK
12.68 @ 105
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cr4O6-WXxgA
Cr4O6-WXxgA

Breadfan
04-15-2008, 06:24 PM
Awesome runs!

Hahahaha bye bye imports!

Until I saw the acura I thought you were racing against a chainsaw

ctrlraven
04-15-2008, 06:30 PM
First run of the day, had to show the crowd what the MM was all about.
Thanks to "joefireman18" for getting the great pics!
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a164/ctrlraven/IVD%20Capitol%20Aprl%2013th%20 2008/IMG_1106.jpg
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a164/ctrlraven/IVD%20Capitol%20Aprl%2013th%20 2008/IMG_1108.jpg
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a164/ctrlraven/IVD%20Capitol%20Aprl%2013th%20 2008/IMG_1109.jpg
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a164/ctrlraven/IVD%20Capitol%20Aprl%2013th%20 2008/IMG_1110.jpg
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a164/ctrlraven/IVD%20Capitol%20Aprl%2013th%20 2008/IMG_1111.jpg
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a164/ctrlraven/IVD%20Capitol%20Aprl%2013th%20 2008/IMG_1112.jpg
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a164/ctrlraven/IVD%20Capitol%20Aprl%2013th%20 2008/IMG_1113.jpg
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a164/ctrlraven/IVD%20Capitol%20Aprl%2013th%20 2008/IMG_1114.jpg

merc
04-15-2008, 06:33 PM
Nice pictures and Video's. Way to represent. Sorry I could not make the event. I had a birthday to attend plus I broke my 3rd gear Saturday a Cecil. There will be another day.

joefireman18
04-15-2008, 06:41 PM
I never laughed so hard. when every one was done running and choking, I lost it.
Dam that was funny.
I have to say, that was the best burn out of the day.

NATEHAWK
04-15-2008, 06:45 PM
My first run was 12.47 @ 109mph but someone not saying any name "cough silversurfer cough" forgot to hit record. But its all cool more sweet runs to be had.

ctrlraven
04-15-2008, 06:59 PM
Nice pictures and Video's. Way to represent. Sorry I could not make the event. I had a birthday to attend plus I broke my 3rd gear Saturday a Cecil. There will be another day.

That sucks Mark, don't feel too bad about your 3rd gear. After Capitol 3rd gear and O/D went out on Bob's car. I have never felt so bad about anything like that in my life. I was able to limp the car back to his house with nothing else happening. I don't know if it's something I did or not. First run down the track car pulled like a champ and nothing felt or sounded different than when I have ran my car besides the s/c whine and loud buzzing of an import trailing behind me lol. Can't wait to see Bob run it once things get fixed and upgraded.

Big House
04-15-2008, 07:05 PM
Chris,

Did you run your car?

Big House
04-15-2008, 07:14 PM

Will you have that fixed by Sunday? I was hoping to see the 11 sec beast.

ctrlraven
04-15-2008, 07:23 PM
Chris,

Did you run your car?
No I drove CheeseheadBob's car for the event. My car is at it's fastest now of 13.7's. Need 4.10 gears to climb the next ladder.

Sunday's at Capitol are done till the next Import vs. Domestic event sometime later this year. Sunday Test & Tune is on first month and last month of the season. Otherwise it's Friday nights.

merc
04-15-2008, 07:31 PM

It's down for the count for a couple of months. Chris is working on it now. P.M. me with a phone number and I will call you tomorrow.

merc
04-15-2008, 07:34 PM
That sucks Mark, don't feel too bad about your 3rd gear. After Capitol 3rd gear and O/D went out on Bob's car. I have never felt so bad about anything like that in my life. I was able to limp the car back to his house with nothing else happening. I don't know if it's something I did or not. First run down the track car pulled like a champ and nothing felt or sounded different than when I have ran my car besides the s/c whine and loud buzzing of an import trailing behind me lol. Can't wait to see Bob run it once things get fixed and upgraded. Did his O/D light flash on and off. If so send me a p.m. with a phone number. Bob's car is in limp mode.

merc
04-15-2008, 07:36 PM
My first run was 12.47 @ 109mph but someone not saying any name "cough silversurfer cough" forgot to hit record. But its all cool more sweet runs to be had.

Looking good Nate. Glad to see your run on film.:)

ctrlraven
04-15-2008, 07:37 PM
Did his O/D light flash on and off. If so send me a p.m. with a phone number. Bob's car is in limp mode.

I can't remember but I will PM you his number maybe you can offer some insight.

2ndMDRebel
04-15-2008, 07:57 PM
Whats going on with the CAM racers... alot of breakage happening this season.

NATEHAWK
04-15-2008, 08:10 PM
Im doing maybe two more race days then im done. Dont want the bad luck to come my way.

ctrlraven
04-15-2008, 08:17 PM
Im doing maybe two more race days then im done. Dont want the bad luck to come my way.

Smart man lol, I know my LSD was starting to go last time I raced my car from watching the video. Need to get that money so your friend can rebuild my rear and drop in the 4.10s.

NATEHAWK
04-15-2008, 08:36 PM
Let me know when you ready man..........

DOOM
04-16-2008, 12:42 AM
Congrats chris, chris (HI-C), and nate. All you guys kicked ass at the track.

Cheeseheadbob
04-16-2008, 06:21 AM
No flashing light, just no third gear. 1st and 2nd are strong, there is just nothing in O/D. The car is getting picked up Thursday a.m. and should be diagnosed by Friday. I could probably use some advice as to what is required for a beefed-up tranny. Any insight would be helpful. Thanks.
Did his O/D light flash on and off. If so send me a p.m. with a phone number. Bob's car is in limp mode.

sd8683
04-16-2008, 07:22 AM
What does it mean if you O/D light flashes on and off?

SILVERSURFER03
04-16-2008, 08:02 AM
Hey What About Me ....... I Thought I Did A Good Job ......

Sorry Nate I Was Slipp'n.. But I Did All Your Runs Chris ... Make One Little Mistake And They Forget To Even Say You Were There Filming Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa Yes Im Wineing And I Did Get Hi-c

merc
04-16-2008, 08:06 AM
What does it mean if you O/D light flashes on and off?

The OD light is flashing because the transmission hs set a code, Take it to your local auto parts store and let them scan if for free. Then come back with the code number and the discription of the code.

No flashing light, just no third gear. 1st and 2nd are strong, there is just nothing in O/D. The car is getting picked up Thursday a.m. and should be diagnosed by Friday. I could probably use some advice as to what is required for a beefed-up tranny. Any insight would be helpful. Thanks.

What could cause my AODE (or 4R70W) to lose 3rd gear, and Overdrive?

This could be a small or large problem. We will start with a possible cause that would not require transmission removal. If the car shifts from first to second, and then stays in second, never shifting to third or OD it may have a number 2 shift solenoid that is failing to activate, or failing to seal when activated. This could be caused by a defective solenoid, wiring problem, or bad processor. If you have had any recent electrical problems one of the above problems is more likely. This same condition could also be caused by a stuck 1-2 shift solenoid in the valve body. In either case call Darrin at BC Automotive and ship your transmission to him. This is the best advice I can give.

If your transmission shifts from first to second, seems to hold second longer than normal, and then finally neutrals out completely at the point where it would normally shift to OD then the most likely cause is a damaged Direct Clutch Pack. This would require transmission removal and disassembly to repair. The Direct Clutch pack is the last one to come out of the transmission during disassmebly, so plan on a complete overhaul while it is apart. You may also want to upgrade your direct clutch. Another possible cause of the same symptoms is a broken stub shaft.

sd8683
04-16-2008, 08:13 AM
The OD light is flashing because the transmission hs set a code, Take it to your local auto parts store and let them scan if for free. Then come back with the code number and the discription of the code.

It happened to me a few months ago, I turned the car off and a few minutes later I turned it back on and it went away, no problems since, do you think I should get it checked out?

merc
04-16-2008, 08:24 AM
It happened to me a few months ago, I turned the car off and a few minutes later I turned it back on and it went away, no problems since, do you think I should get it checked out?

You can create this O/D flash by leaving your car in 2nd gear or manually shift while at wide open throttle (WOT). Clearing the code is simple. Remove the battery cables for a couple of minutes. Clearing the code might not solve the problem. The next step is to contact your local transmission shop if you continue to exhibit issues.

sd8683
04-16-2008, 08:35 AM
You can create this O/D flash by leaving your car in 2nd gear or manually shift while at wide open throttle (WOT). Clearing the code is simple. Remove the battery cables for a couple of minutes. Clearing the code might not solve the problem. The next step is to contact your local transmission shop if you continue to exhibit issues.

Ok will do, thanks for your help.

ctrlraven
04-16-2008, 09:20 AM

What could cause my AODE (or 4R70W) to lose 3rd gear, and Overdrive?

This could be a small or large problem. We will start with a possible cause that would not require transmission removal. If the car shifts from first to second, and then stays in second, never shifting to third or OD it may have a number 2 shift solenoid that is failing to activate, or failing to seal when activated. This could be caused by a defective solenoid, wiring problem, or bad processor. If you have had any recent electrical problems one of the above problems is more likely. This same condition could also be caused by a stuck 1-2 shift solenoid in the valve body. In either case call Darrin at BC Automotive and ship your transmission to him. This is the best advice I can give.

If your transmission shifts from first to second, seems to hold second longer than normal, and then finally neutrals out completely at the point where it would normally shift to OD then the most likely cause is a damaged Direct Clutch Pack. This would require transmission removal and disassembly to repair. The Direct Clutch pack is the last one to come out of the transmission during disassmebly, so plan on a complete overhaul while it is apart. You may also want to upgrade your direct clutch. Another possible cause of the same symptoms is a broken stub shaft.

Yeah when I drove the car back to Bob's it would not shift into 3rd at all and I had to leave the O/D off. Turning the O/D on just made the car feel like it was in Neutral. Also while in 2nd if the rpms were below I want to say 2700-3000rpms it felt like it was in Neutral, tap the gas to get the rpms up above 3000 and the car would start moving again like it caught 2nd gear.

Cheeseheadbob
04-16-2008, 12:41 PM
The first thing my guy at the speed shop said, it may be a solenoid. He is going to run a computer diagnostic on the tranny. After he figures out what the problem is, we will sit down and decide what I want to do. I am leaning toward having them build a tranny which will handle up to 750 RWHP. I have no intention of having my motor built to that extreme, but it will be nice to know that the trans could handle it if I did....:D

merc
04-16-2008, 01:01 PM
The first thing my guy at the speed shop said, it may be a solenoid. He is going to run a computer diagnostic on the tranny. After he figures out what the problem is, we will sit down and decide what I want to do. I am leaning toward having them build a tranny which will handle up to 750 RWHP. I have no intention of having my motor built to that extreme, but it will be nice to know that the trans could handle it if I did....:D

Don't fool yourself, all and any transmissions will fail Bob. The 4R70W doesn't like high rpms, that's a fact. You might be able to increase the HP up to a peak of 750 in concept, but you can still damage the transmission by doing every day mistakes.

1.) Excessive burnout's
2.) Manual shifts
3.) High RPM shifts (done in tuning)
4.) Trans brake
5.) Hot lapping
6.) Not changing fluid more regularly
7.) Running Slicks or drag radials that grip hard on launch.

BURNOUTS!! Start all burnouts in low gear then shift to high gear as soon as possible YOU MUST not let the tires hook while at hard throttle after leaving burnout box this will cause damage to high gear clutch pack, lift as soon as tires start to hook.

My transmission broke loose at 8,000 RPM's. The rev limiter was set to 6700 on the 2-3, and 6,500 on the 1-2. Somehow the car overran the ECU. If I had a stock motor I would be removing parts from the track. I over stun the blower so hard it spit fluid from the snout. I may have damaged seals. I never saw the boost gauge but I bet it was in the 18 plus area. Hopefully the only thing I need is a transmission repair. If the blower and motor is damaged I will down for the count for some time.

Pops
04-16-2008, 01:16 PM
Merc we found chunks of clutch in the pan on the GM. I think MMV might of been the cause. I am guilty of every thing in your list except for numbers one and six. Plus no trans brake. Need to watch the trans temp a little more!

Cheeseheadbob
04-16-2008, 01:30 PM
Mark, I know we are all on borrowed time if we race our cars. Chris said he saw the RPMs on my car at well over 7K if I remeber correctly!:eek: I am lucky I did not get a phone call saying that he was bringing my motor back in a milk crate. When I get my options, I will run a couple of them past the board here and see what folks think.
Don't fool yourself, all and any transmissions will fail Bob. The 4R70W doesn't like high rpms, that's a fact. You might be able to increase the HP up to a peak of 750 in concept, but you can still damage the transmission by doing every day mistakes.

1.) Excessive burnout's
2.) Manual shifts
3.) High RPM shifts (done in tuning)
4.) Trans brake
5.) Hot lapping
6.) Not changing fluid more regularly
7.) Running Slicks or drag radials that grip hard on launch.

BURNOUTS!! Start all burnouts in low gear then shift to high gear as soon as possible YOU MUST not let the tires hook while at hard throttle after leaving burnout box this will cause damage to high gear clutch pack, lift as soon as tires start to hook.

My transmission broke loose at 8,000 RPM's. The rev limiter was set to 6700 on the 2-3, and 6,500 on the 1-2. Somehow the car overran the ECU. If I had a stock motor I would be removing parts from the track. I over stun the blower so hard it spit fluid from the snout. I may have damaged seals. I never saw the boost gauge but I bet it was in the 18 plus area. Hopefully the only thing I need is a transmission repair. If the blower and motor is damaged I will down for the count for some time.

merc
04-16-2008, 01:34 PM
Mark, I know we are all on borrowed time if we race our cars. Chris said he saw the RPMs on my car at well over 7K if I remeber correctly!:eek: I am lucky I did not get a phone call saying that he was bringing my motor back in a milk crate. When I get my options, I will run a couple of them past the board here and see what folks think.

This is a good read. Good luck on you repair or rebuild. :beer: God Speed Bob.:burnout: I'll be here to help if needed.
http://www.mn12performance.com/mn12-techinfo/trans-tech/4r70w_rebuild.html

ctrlraven
04-16-2008, 01:54 PM

Oh no I never said well over 7000 rpms lol. Omg no I would never let my own car reach that let alone your beauty. 6700-6800 max and let off right away to avoid going to 7k rpms.

Get to show your boys the videos and pictures yet?

Cheeseheadbob
04-16-2008, 02:02 PM
I guess I had a senior moment. 6800 is close to 7000....:D I hope to have the verdict by Friday. The boys have not seen the vids/pics yet, I will have to show them tonight.
Oh no I never said well over 7000 rpms lol. Omg no I would never let my own car reach that let alone your beauty. 6700-6800 max and let off right away to avoid going to 7k rpms.

Get to show your boys the videos and pictures yet?