PDA

View Full Version : Visiting Vancouver; Ideas?

arejayesss
04-16-2008, 02:53 PM
Vancouver here we come! We (my fiance and I) will be flying into Vancouver on May 11th (Sunday) sometime around dinnertime. We will stay overnight and be boarding an Alaskan Cruise line on Monday for our Honeymoon. Any thoughts on a nice inexpensive place to stay Sunday night? Also dining in the Area? Or maybe at least places to avoid at all costs:rolleyes: Thanks in advance!

Hotrauder
04-16-2008, 02:55 PM
Have a great trip. Bring your rain coat.:rolleyes: Dennis

RoyLPita
04-16-2008, 04:49 PM
Ryan,
Aren't honeymoons supposed to be a mystery to most until the trip is over?:confused:

freakstatus
04-16-2008, 05:04 PM
Right on! There is lots to do in Vancouver. How will you be getting around? Most cab drivers will know all the good spots to hit. Unfortunately most hotels near the cruise ship terminal are upper class and really expensive. I would try the Executive Hotel, The Best Western, or The Holiday Inn all of which are on Howe St. If you want to shell out some bigger bucks and stay near the cruise ship terminal, try The Fairmont Waterfront or Canada Place. What time will you be arriving? 3 places in downtown Vancouver to go are: Robson Street where all the big shopping is and cool little restaurants. Stanley Park/English Bay area, and Granville Island public market. If its after dark, I would stick to Robson street or Granville Island as with most parks...the weirdos come out at night. Being Sunday night, I'm not sure how late the shops are open on Robson, but there are a ton of cool little restaurants; Milestones, Moxies Grill, Cactus Club, are a few. Gastown is a scenic sort of historic area of Vancouver with coblestone streets etc. But it is located close to the east side seedy area and I wouldn't want you to wander in to Mutieland. Hope that helps....have fun. Maybe DeMinimus will chime in as he lives there...

arejayesss
04-16-2008, 05:19 PM
Ryan,
Aren't honeymoons supposed to be a mystery to most until the trip is over?:confused:

Too late now:D I probably won't EVER tell ANYBODY what we did on our honeymoon, except during the daytime hours.:lol:

FreakStatus;
Nice ideas! I have read about a few of those places in my searches. I don't think we will be 'getting around' too much since our stay is short. Hopefully we will be within walking distance of cool stuff and the cruise ship for monday. Thanks and keep em' comin!!

Canadasvt
04-16-2008, 05:55 PM
Bring your rain coat.

Come on, that's so untrue!

An umbrella works just fine ;)

WPG_Merc
04-16-2008, 06:17 PM
Vancouver is always a happening town unlike the Peg.
Have a great time. EH.
:)

:canada:

de minimus
04-16-2008, 10:18 PM
Congrats on the upcoming nuptials! My parents have been on the Alaska cruise and say it's fantastic.
You'll probably want to stay near the cruise ship terminal so check out the Pan Pacific hotel. The Wedgewood is also nice and a short cab drive away. I doubt either are inexpensive - this is Vancouver.
Dining? Oodles of options, depends on what you like. Yaletown has lots of great places - check out trip advisor.

Blue03
04-16-2008, 11:33 PM
Congrats on the wedding and cruise! I'm just a gringo tourist but I always come out with a smile on my face from The Fish House in Stanley Park. I've enjoyed it several times in the past and keep going back. I think it would be a short cab ride from where ever you spend the night in the Downtown/Cruise area. Have a great trip! :)

http://www.fishhousestanleypark.com/about_aboutus.html

freakstatus
04-16-2008, 11:56 PM
arejayesss...Let me know which hotel you end up choosing and I'll let you know whats around it within walking distance.

arejayesss
04-17-2008, 02:24 AM
Actually, the Pan Pacific Hotel is one that came up in our discussion last night. Seems like a real nice place, and close too. We will be deciding shortly, and I will fill you guys in. Previously, I have been to Windsor, and Pointe Pelee (sp?) I grew up in the detroit area. The closest I've been to Vancouver is Oregon, which was beautiful by the way. Thanks again guys for your great ideas!

Ryan

de minimus
04-17-2008, 08:12 AM
I'd concur with Bruce's recommendation on the Fish House...very good and not a long taxi trip to Stanley Park. if you like seafood the Sandbar on Granville island is also good.

freakstatus
04-17-2008, 10:34 AM
If your staying at the Pan Pacific there will be quite alot to do right in that area. Lots of shops and restaurants within a block in all directions. The Harbour Centre revolving restaurant is about two blocks away. If you want to hit Robson street, just go about 6 blocks up Howe St. and your there. Gastown is really close as well, but don't wander too far past Gastown or you'll find yourself in crack alley....
Have fun.

RoyLPita
04-17-2008, 12:54 PM
Come on, that's so untrue!

An umbrella works just fine ;)

Ryan,
Pack the "his" and "hers" umbrellas.

BTW, when you both get to Alaska, There may not be any darkness at night.

arejayesss
04-17-2008, 12:55 PM
Ryan,
Pack the "his" and "hers" umbrellas.

BTW, when you both get to Alaska, There may not be any darkness at night.

:eek: I better go get fitted for a brown paper bag!!!

Taemian
04-17-2008, 07:10 PM
Hey! Let me know what time your flight gets here. Let's see what we can do about an SB Marauder "limo" ride to the Pan Pacific. ;) After all, we're all family here, right? Can't promise anything right now, but I'll be glad to drive you two if the time is do-able for me. We Canadians try to be good hosts, eh?:canada:

BTW, Pan Pacific is right next to the cruise line terminals, but NOT inexpensive. I'd try one of the major chains (Best Western, Holiday Inn) since you're basically only going to be there a few hours.

arejayesss
04-17-2008, 07:27 PM
Hey! Let me know what time your flight gets here. Let's see what we can do about an SB Marauder "limo" ride to the Pan Pacific. ;) After all, we're all family here, right? Can't promise anything right now, but I'll be glad to drive you two if the time is do-able for me. We Canadians try to be good hosts, eh?:canada:

BTW, Pan Pacific is right next to the cruise line terminals, but NOT inexpensive. I'd try one of the major chains (Best Western, Holiday Inn) since you're basically only going to be there a few hours.

I believe we are arriving around 7:00pm. It looks like the Pan Pacific will be a little pricey, so we are looking at the other options. I don't think we could turn down an SB marauder Limo ride!!:banana: That would continue our Wedding / Honeymoon SB Marauder extravaganza! (Mike from San Antonio is our getaway driver after the reception)

I still love my calendars and it would be great to meet the man behind them:beer:

arejayesss
04-17-2008, 08:19 PM
Hotel Booked!!! I love Priceline.com sometimes. Just got a great deal on a room at the Hyatt Regency Vancouver!! Close to everything, and ALOT more affordable than it was.

chader
04-18-2008, 06:47 AM
Have a great honeymoon.I'm sure our west coast boys will take great care of you

freakstatus
04-18-2008, 08:54 AM
Nice. I'm not sure if it will matter but The Hyatt is where many local high schools hold their graduation banquets, and May is Grad season. May be a little early though so I think you'll be ok.

Have fun riding in Ians (Taemians) SB. It looks cool with the light flint interior and sunroof. Definitely feels more luxurious than my black with charcoal....although mine is faster.. (at least until he figures out that Trilogy install manual). Haha.

arejayesss
04-18-2008, 09:00 AM
Nice. I'm not sure if it will matter but The Hyatt is where many local high schools hold their graduation banquets, and May is Grad season. May be a little early though so I think you'll be ok.

Have fun riding in Ians (Taemians) SB. It looks cool with the light flint interior and sunroof. Definitely feels more luxurious than my black with charcoal....although mine is faster.. (at least until he figures out that Trilogy install manual). Haha.

Well thats alright. I figure I can make some extra money by selling them cigarettes and beer:beatnik:

I know what you're saying about the light colors. Before the MM I had a 99 Grand Marquis LS White with white leather seats:eek: A sharp contrast to the Black on Black I have now. Black leather is so much easier to keep clean though, or at least make it look like its clean:D

freakstatus
04-18-2008, 09:07 AM
Cool. Just didn't want you to get caught up in a fracas of drunk high school girls in prom dresses in the hallway as you get ice at 2 in the morning...unless of course you want that.;)

RoyLPita
04-18-2008, 09:09 AM
:eek: I better go get fitted for a brown paper bag!!!

Blindfolds wouldn't work?

arejayesss
04-18-2008, 09:55 AM
Blindfolds wouldn't work?
Only on her:D

arejayesss
04-18-2008, 09:57 AM
Cool. Just didn't want you to get caught up in a fracas of drunk high school girls in prom dresses in the hallway as you get ice at 2 in the morning...unless of course you want that.;)

I do not know what you mean by that at all. I mean, why would I need ice at 2am?

freakstatus
04-18-2008, 05:28 PM
I do not know what you mean by that at all. I mean, why would I need ice at 2am?

..Its your honeymoon...;)

arejayesss
04-18-2008, 07:21 PM
..Its your honeymoon...;)

Oh, sorry, I guess your sarcasm blocker is on:lol:

freakstatus
04-18-2008, 10:46 PM
Oh, sorry, I guess your sarcasm blocker is on:lol:

Ahhh..Gotcha.

JamesHecker
04-18-2008, 11:46 PM
I'm late to the discussion as your already booked at the Hyatt, but the Pan Pacific is great! I'm sure the Hyatt will be also.

What cruise line are you sailing? We went on Royal Carribean for my birthday last year. Alaska blew me away! Glacier Bay is incredible. Helicopter ride to Mendenhall Glacier was amazing. Saw plenty of whales, porpoise, and dolphin.

Absolutly wonderful destination. I'm sure you will love it!

Congratulations!

Aren Jay
04-21-2008, 11:12 PM
Vancouver is like the first stop before you get to Japan or China. It really is just like it.

Set aside a day for walking around, star gazing, and avoid the drug scene.

If you like German food there was a great place on Robson street. It is the only non Chinese/Japanese looking place.

I'm not sure if there are any whales at Stanley park anymore. But the aquariam was always a great stop over.

Been a while since I've been to Vancouver (pronounced Vaincoover) by the locals.

Taemian
04-22-2008, 05:56 AM
Vancouver is like the first stop before you get to Japan or China. It really is just like it.

... and avoid the drug scene.

If you like German food there was a great place on Robson street. It is the only non Chinese/Japanese looking place.

Been a while since I've been to Vancouver (pronounced Vaincoover) by the locals.

"Let me introduce myself. Hi, just call me D1CC. I'm a typical ignorant WASP lout from cow country who considers any restaurant without a big yellow "M" on the sign, to be foreign food.

Also, if you don't look like me or my sister, you must be a foreigner. If you don't have the velvet Elvis posters in the living room and shag carpet in the bathroom like I do, your place must look like Japan or China, it really must!

Speaking from experience, I now say "Stay away from the drug scene!" (Especially those little blue pills...Sis starts looking really purtty after a few of them!)"

A hearty thank you to our fellow MM owner D1CC for the great way he used humour through sheer ignorance to give us all a laugh. That was a great one, buddy! For a minute I thought you were serious, but I guess not even you could be that much of an idiot in real life, huh?

http://www.robsonstreet.ca/shops/

There is just about every ethnicity on Robson's restaurant section. Chinese, Japanese, Afghani, Italian, French, Irish, North American, Vietnamese, Cambodian, Greek etc.

Please don't bother looking for pagodas and dojos on Robson; you won't find any. (They're all busy residing in D1CC's imagination right now.)

Look at the photo below and decide for yourself: China? Japan? Robson St? Ooooh the mystery!

de minimus
04-22-2008, 07:53 AM

Set aside a day for walking around, star gazing, and avoid the drug scene.

I'm not sure if there are any whales at Stanley park anymore. But the aquariam was always a great stop over.

You should have been a travel writer given your keen insight and experience. Vaincouver??:shake:

ParkRanger
04-22-2008, 08:51 AM
Probably too late to matter now but next time stay out of the city and take a driving tour to Squamish (only a couple of hours) Just beautiful scenery. Avoid Whistler and baby bears.

PR :burnout:

arejayesss
04-22-2008, 08:53 AM
Probably too late to matter now but next time stay out of the city and take a driving tour to Squamish (only a couple of hours) Just beautiful scenery. Avoid Whistler and baby bears.

PR :burnout:

Yeah, we are only staying for a short time. We are flying in Sunday night, staying over and then Monday we board the cruise ship. But thanks for your input. I'll have to 'Google' Squamish and check it out.

Aren Jay
04-22-2008, 07:33 PM
You should have been a travel writer given your keen insight and experience. Vaincouver??:shake:

Listen to everyone saying they are going to "vancoover" except for the locals who all say "Vaincoover" The younger people say it this way. Yet they still say "Van Coover ite"

The Calgarians you can distinguish as we say Calgry not Calgary. 1-1/2 syllables not 3. But we say "Cal gary in"
not "Calgry in".

Hey it has been a while, since I have been there.

We also say been alot.

freakstatus
04-27-2008, 02:15 PM
Actually, there are very few Japanese in Vancouver relatively speaking. The Asian population here is made up mostly of Chinese from Mainland China and Hong Kong. Also, a very high East Indian population as well. We take pride in being from a very ethnically diverse part of the country.

Canadasvt
04-28-2008, 09:01 PM
We take pride in being from a very ethnically diverse part of the country.

Unlike Toronto over here where all you'll see is crackers? :lol:

QWK SVT
04-29-2008, 01:17 PM
Unlike Toronto over here where all you'll see is crackers? :lol:

Uhmm... I live in Scarborough... It's a slightly different party mix, on this side of Yonge :D

Peter
05-01-2008, 02:13 PM
Uhmm... I live in Scarborough... It's a slightly different party mix, on this side of Yonge :D
I live in Agincourt, enough said.

Aren Jay
05-13-2008, 10:59 PM
So how was it? I guess the ship is internet free?