PDA

View Full Version : Honeymoon Soon; Need new camera

arejayesss
04-16-2008, 04:01 PM
I've had a Canon Powershot A520 for a few years now, and I think with the impending honeymoon I should upgrade. The canon has served me well, and still works good, but lately it seems like it burns through AA batteries like our cars burn through gas:eek: I don't know if this is a characteristic of aging digital cameras, but in addition the pics are not as clear as I would like them. I am not an expert AT ALL when it comes to cameras. I don't need any fancy schmancy (sp?) camera. Sure it would be nice to have a DSR or DSL whatever, but I don't want to break the bank. What would you guys suggest for me?

CRUZTAKER
04-16-2008, 04:15 PM
If you are partial to Cannon, I am sure someone will recommend an entry level DSLR pretty soon.

If you are open to other manufacturers, I have suggestions, but will hold for the moment. ;)

arejayesss
04-16-2008, 04:27 PM
I'm as open as my throttle at the race track. The canon was a christmas gift from my mother a few years back. Prior to that, I had a sony ? that actually held a floppy disk (3.5" I think) inside it. So let me have it, open up the floodgates.:banana:

Breadfan
04-16-2008, 05:54 PM
I gave some advice in this thread: http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?t=43257

I think Impslayer got a good camera with the S5.

If you can't got dSLR something like that is a very nice camera.

If you can/want to go dSLR, there's a ton out there. I do like my Nikon D40 entry level, it's not the best but I've gotten some good shots with it. On the Canon side the Rebel XTi is real nice for entry level.

If you want a pocket camera the Canon's are nice as are the thin/small Casio elixims.

Breadfan
04-16-2008, 05:55 PM
I'm as open as my throttle at the race track. The canon was a christmas gift from my mother a few years back. Prior to that, I had a sony ? that actually held a floppy disk (3.5" I think) inside it. So let me have it, open up the floodgates.:banana:

A Mavica?

Too bad there were no 5.25" disk cameras that'd rule.

CRUZTAKER
04-16-2008, 06:51 PM
You're open....very cool.

Get a DSLR.

Check out Nikon D40X.
You won't beat performance for price ratio.

Spend a bit more and want major flexability in lenses...
Sony Alpha booya.

You seem to be at turning point. Please do not waste your money on a point and shoot nor a camera with digital zoom (even as an option).

jdando
04-16-2008, 07:41 PM
I'm as open as my throttle at the race track. :banana:

How open is the wallet? I think the S5 IS is a decent unit. DSLR can cost some big coin. The getting lenses is like crack. I need a big white lens man....

oldekid
04-16-2008, 08:01 PM
First of all. . . . . congratulations!

Next, just what kind of pictures do you want to take on your honeymoon? :banana:

Since you are used to dealing with an SD card, why not stick with Canon, and just upgrade? They have several that use the same memory card, and as you have probably read on here, the Powershot S5IS is one of those. It's a great bang for the buck, and will give you great results. I think it gets pretty good mileage out of a set of batteries too.

There is also the G series Canons, like the latest G9. It has 12MP and is more of a compact, but really loaded with features. You may want to check it out.

I admire CRUZTAKER for holding off on a Nikon suggestion :bows:, and I certainly wouldn't ignore that idea either. I am not that familiar with Nikon cameras, but I know they have many options available too, and also make a great camera.

Shop around, search the web, and good luck!

arejayesss
04-17-2008, 02:48 AM
I gave some advice in this thread: http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?t=43257

I think Impslayer got a good camera with the S5.

If you can't got dSLR something like that is a very nice camera.

If you can/want to go dSLR, there's a ton out there. I do like my Nikon D40 entry level, it's not the best but I've gotten some good shots with it. On the Canon side the Rebel XTi is real nice for entry level.

If you want a pocket camera the Canon's are nice as are the thin/small Casio elixims.
Yes, I have read that thread, lots of good info. I think I should get a big boys camera at this point, with the option to upgrade stuff later.

arejayesss
04-17-2008, 02:50 AM
A Mavica?

Too bad there were no 5.25" disk cameras that'd rule.

YUP!! That was it. It was a Sony Mavica. OH MAN was I cool when I had that:lol: I had just gotten out of high school and all my band friends were so astonished by the thing.

arejayesss
04-17-2008, 02:55 AM
You're open....very cool.

Get a DSLR. I may have to.

Check out Nikon D40X.I just did, and :eek:
You won't beat performance for price ratio.

Spend a bit more and want major flexability in lenses...
Sony Alpha booya. I think maybe overkill?

You seem to be at turning point. Please do not waste your money on a point and shoot nor a camera with digital zoom (even as an option). Agreed, Like that tampon commercial, I may have to 'upgrade'

Thanks for your input, and I miss your old Avatar.

arejayesss
04-17-2008, 02:57 AM
How open is the wallet? I think the S5 IS is a decent unit. DSLR can cost some big coin. The getting lenses is like crack. I need a big white lens man....

My wallet is as open as my throttle at a stoplight:lol:
No, not really. I think this will be an important investment to make, and since we are already spending all this other money on the wedding and honeymoon etc, we might as well remember it vividly

arejayesss
04-17-2008, 03:00 AM
First of all. . . . . congratulations! Thank You!

Next, just what kind of pictures do you want to take on your honeymoon? :banana: HEY NOW!! The pics that are not making the wedding album?

No, really this is the reason for my whole idea. We are taking an Alaskan Cruise which will probably have about 8,463,998,275,009,156 UNBELIEVABLE photo opportunities. I think I am sold on Nikon D40x

oldekid
04-17-2008, 05:45 AM
No, really this is the reason for my whole idea. We are taking an Alaskan Cruise which will probably have about 8,463,998,275,009,156 UNBELIEVABLE photo opportunities. I think I am sold on Nikon D40x
An Alaskan cruise should be awesome. The D40x looks like a pretty good deal. What ever you get, practice with it as much as possible before you go, and be sure to share some shots with us when you get back.
:beer:

arejayesss
04-17-2008, 05:56 AM
An Alaskan cruise should be awesome. The D40x looks like a pretty good deal. What ever you get, practice with it as much as possible before you go, and be sure to share some shots with us when you get back.
Oh, I will. I will probably open a Flickr account or something to put all our wedding / honeymoon photos on. I have some cool shots I took when I first got my Canon. Let me see here...........actually all I have at work here is a couple newer ones.
One of rain at the condo and one from our vacation last year. When I get home I'll post some of the artsy photos i took when I first got it.

ckadiddle
04-17-2008, 06:07 AM
While you are buying yourself a new camera, buy the wife-to-be a new purse sized digicam to keep with her.

MarauderTJA
04-17-2008, 06:23 AM
Ryan, I have a Sony Cybershot 8 megapixel camera. It takes great quality pictures, video clips and comes with the software and cables for easy downloading of pictures to your computer. The re-chargable battery last along time as well. I also bought a nice carrier case that you can wear comfortably on your belt. Price was very reasonable as well around $400.

CRUZTAKER
04-17-2008, 06:47 AM

If you can afford the optional long lens for the D40, 300mm, you had might as well get to start. You can always get faster lenses later. The 18-300 is multipurpose for most folks.

If you will be shooting outdoors in Alsaska, pick up a polarizer filter for the lens. For the D40 it shouldn't be much more that $20. I paid $28 for a 72mm polarizer for my D80. Make sure it has an adjustable ring.

It helps A LOT on extra bright sunny skys. Easy to screw over the existing UV filter that (should) come with your new camera.

Breadfan
04-17-2008, 06:59 AM
I would also compare the Canon Digital Rebel XTi, it's pretty close competition for the D40. It does offer just a few things above it, mainly a 9 section focus area, opposed to the D40x's rather limited 3 section.

Also, compare D40 to D40x. The D40 is only a 6megapixel compared to the D40x's 10. You can get a D40 kit with 18-55 lens for $475 and add a 55-200vr for $200 maybe less these days.

There's alot to think about here, first off, to double the size of a 6mp image, you need to essentailly go to 24mp. So, 10mp isn't all that much of a bigger image...

Also, the 6mp CCD will have slightly larger pixels which means each pixel gets more light. In theory this "can" mean better low light performance, in reality though the differen't is probably negligible.

The D40x offers more MP and I think instead of a 2.5fps continuous mode a 3fps continuous. You have to decide if the minimal feature enhancements are worth the extra money.

Here is a 6mp full size image from my D40 so you see how big they come off the camera. This image is compressed so quality a bit down from what came off the camera: IMAGE HERE (http://www.ionicflux.com/gallery/albums/capitol01/DSC_0142142.jpg) (Image shot using camera's "Action" automatic mode so you can see how images look using preset modes if you haven't let learned manual modes)

Now I'm not trying to push Nikon on anyone, but since I have a D40 a lot of my info comes from the frame of reference I have.

I personally feel you can get good images from something like an entry level DSLR (In my case Nikon D40) and if you get into it you can upgrade the camera body later down the road (again in my case D200 or D300).

Such is not a bad way to go. I know there are better camera's than entry level like I shoot with now but i'm very happy with the images I get still, until I get my skill level beyond the capabilities of this camera, I will be fine.

Remember a good photographer can get great shots witha crummy camera. Entry level dslr can get you good shots, let you learn, and take great shots with the right care.

So yeah anyway I'd check out Nikon D40/D40x and the Canon Digital Rebel/Rebel XTi. There are others like the Pentax K100D which some people love but honestly if you plan to upgrade things later on going Nikon or Canon you will have plenty of open upgrade paths be it camera body or lens.

arejayesss
04-17-2008, 07:26 AM
While you are buying yourself a new camera, buy the wife-to-be a new purse sized digicam to keep with her.
I think she could just keep my canon powershot in her purse.

Ryan, I have a Sony Cybershot 8 megapixel camera. Price was very reasonable as well around $400.Is that DSLR though?

If you can afford the optional long lens for the D40, 300mm, you had might as well get to start. You can always get faster lenses later. The 18-300 is multipurpose for most folks.

If you will be shooting outdoors in Alsaska, pick up a polarizer filter for the lens. For the D40 it shouldn't be much more that $20. I paid $28 for a 72mm polarizer for my D80. Make sure it has an adjustable ring.

It helps A LOT on extra bright sunny skys. Easy to screw over the existing UV filter that (should) come with your new camera. Good tip, I think I may have to do that.

Remember a good photographer can get great shots witha crummy camera. Entry level dslr can get you good shots, let you learn, and take great shots with the right care.

Yeah, but a bad photographer can get great shots with a non-crummy camera:P I have secretly always wanted a Nikon, I remember them growing up and seeing my parents / grandparents using them (Non-Digital of course)
I found this deal, for the D40x w/ 2 lenses and some other goodies, sounds like everything I need but the polarizing filter. What do you think?
Nikon (http://www.fotoconnection.com/p67959-nikon-d40x-package-5-28-80mm.html) D40x Package 5 - (28-80mm & 70-300mm f/4-5.6G + much more) (http://www.fotoconnection.com/p67959-nikon-d40x-package-5-28-80mm.html) http://img2.fotoconnection.com/product/75x75/b2bcd3ae3d251fcab9501c64b2c166 ff.jpg (http://www.fotoconnection.com/p67959-nikon-d40x-package-5-28-80mm.html)

This package includes:
Nikon D40x, 70-300mm f/4-5.6G Nikkor Lens, 28-80mm f/3.3-5.6G Nikkor Lens, Full Size Tripod, 1GB Secure Digital Memory Card, Medium Size Camera and Camcorder Case, SD/MM High Speed Card Reader, Protective Lens Pouch, Memory Card Case (holds sup to six cards), Lens Cap Keeper, LCD Screen Protector, Lens/LCD Cleaning System, Wrist Strap for Digital Cameras and Cell Phones More Info (http://www.fotoconnection.com/p67959-nikon-d40x-package-5-28-80mm.html)
$604.99
(Free Shipping)Buy now (http://www.fotoconnection.com/cart.php?FormAction=Add&IndexID=67959)

CanadaMarauder
04-17-2008, 07:31 AM
I have the Canon Powershot A640, Compact, Black, and 10 megapixels (so it says) but hey it was $329 love the easy use and quality

oldekid
04-17-2008, 07:31 AM
Be very careful! Any time you are getting something at almost half the normal price, make sure you check the vendor out.

arejayesss
04-17-2008, 07:37 AM
Be very careful! Any time you are getting something at almost half the normal price, make sure you check the vendor out.

WOW:eek: It only took me a few minutes to find several bad reviews on that website. I guess I'll continue looking............

oldekid
04-17-2008, 07:40 AM
WOW:eek: It only took me a few minutes to find several bad reviews on that website. I guess I'll continue looking............Glad you checked them out. I have heard some real horror stories of people who thought they got a bargain. I would find a more reputable merchant to deal with.

arejayesss
04-17-2008, 07:57 AM
I would find a more reputable merchant to deal with.
Anyone you could recommend? There are like a bunch out there!

Breadfan
04-17-2008, 08:08 AM
Amazon.com

B&H

Abes of Maine

KEH

Sorry to lazy to find links

But yeah beware of grey market stuff...

oldekid
04-17-2008, 08:11 AM
Anyone you could recommend? There are like a bunch out there!There are a bunch. B&H Photo is supposed to be real good, but I'm thinking they are not taking orders right now. I would also suggest Amazon.com. I don't know if your local Circuit City, or Best Buy stores carry that model or not, but if so, sometimes they have some decent prices.

I haven't bought many high priced cameras online. I normally deal with a local camera store when I buy my camera bodies and lenses. They won't match some of the online prices, but it's much easier to take it back if there are problems.

arejayesss
04-17-2008, 08:12 AM
Amazon.com

B&H

Abes of Maine

KEH

Sorry to lazy to find links

But yeah beware of grey market stuff...

Ahh, yes thank you. I think I think I can handle finding 'amazon.com' without a link:lol: Time for shoppin'!!

Breadfan
04-17-2008, 08:15 AM
Ahh, yes thank you. I think I think I can handle finding 'amazon.com' without a link:lol: Time for shoppin'!!

:lol:

BTW I got my stuff from Amazon...no issues thusfar.

Paul T. Casey
04-17-2008, 08:35 AM
Olympus E510. It's what my wife uses. Here's some examples http://gcasey.zenfolio.com/p217497994/ . As for honeymoon photos.....

dreydin
04-17-2008, 08:46 AM
nekkid pics?

Breadfan
04-17-2008, 08:53 AM
BTW if you go Nikon look for VR lenses, you can do OK with the 18-55 in non-VR but something longer you'll want VR - vibration reduction, Nikon's version of IS - image stabilization.

Helps you get clearer shots especially at slower shutter speeds and big zooms.

Same goes for if you go Canon, as I think Canon also puts their stabilizer in the lens.

Some dslr's do image stabilization in the body I do not know the pro's and con's of each method.

arejayesss
04-17-2008, 08:56 AM
Olympus E510. It's what my wife uses. Here's some examples http://gcasey.zenfolio.com/p217497994/ . As for honeymoon photos.....

Wow, nice pics! As for the honeymoon photos, I'm just waiting for somebody to crack a joke about using the macro setting:lol:

jdando
04-17-2008, 09:38 AM
thread drift alert....

Open up that wallet for Alaska!

Canon 100-400mm IS $1400
Canon 500mm IS $5200
Canon 70-200 $1500
Canon 17-55 $1000
Canon 10-22 $690

Canon 1ds mkIII $8000

fancy carbon fiber tripod $1000

After I win the Powerball I will get all this and MORE :lol:

CRUZTAKER
04-17-2008, 09:39 AM
Anyone you could recommend? There are like a bunch out there!

MAKE ABSOLUTELY SURE that if you buy a Nikon, it is from an AUTHORIZED vendor or your warranty will be denied.

I cannot stress any furhter about AVOIDING internet sell houses. Nikon will NOT warrent the product and there is a very good chance it will be greymarket.

Go to a CAMERA STORE or a big box store to make your purchase.

arejayesss
04-20-2008, 06:08 AM
I think I like Ritz Camera, I called them and they were very helpful and informative. The advantage of buying online from them or anyone, mainly is the tax savings. Although you then have to wait for a week or so for it to be delivered:bigcry: For a thousand dollar purchase, you would save $60. (Fl.=6%) I think It would be better to just walk in to a Ritz Camera store and talk and deal face to face.

I think I have decided on the D40X. There are several bundle packages available that include two lenses. Alot of them have a 200mm lense instead of the 300mm that had been suggested in this thread. Is it worth it to upgrade to the 300mm? I guess it would go better with my 300A MM:D I have also seen the D80 out there. It is more, but seems like its a good step up. At my entry level, would it be worth it to upgrade and just get the D80? From what I've read the D40x is a very nice camera with alot of options available and would probably be MORE than enough for what I want to use it for. Also, are there any other tips for me purchasing the D40x? I will be getting the following:

-D40x Body
-Two lenses either 18-55mm & 55-200mm
- Or the second lense up to 300mm (I think I need to get the VR on the zoom)

-Full size Tripod
-Battery and charger (Should I get 2 batteries?)
-Polarizing filter
-Carrying case & lense caps / covers (I think this is included)
-Memory card, at least 1 GB (Maybe bigger?)
Am I missing anything?

Thanks for all your help,

Sincerely,

DSLR Newbie

arejayesss
04-20-2008, 07:25 AM
Okay, after doing some more research this morning, I realized that the D80 has several advantages over the D40x.

-Lense choice seems to be much more vast with D80
D40x = All functions possible with AF-S
D80 = All functions possible with all AF Nikkor lenses

-Manufacturer's claim on battery life D40x-up to 520 Pictures
D80 - up to 2700 Pictures:eek:
-Focus areas/sensors D40x = 3 / D80 = 11

-Auto Exposure Bracketing D80 = 2 to 3 exposures in increments between 1/3 to 2.0 EV (±2 EV) D40x= NONE

- High ISO and Long Exposure Noise reduction D80 Yes and Yes D40x No and No

Thoughts?

arejayesss
04-20-2008, 07:29 AM
This is the package I'm looking at. Ritz camera has it for $1250
Includes: D80 DSLR Camera, AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor 18-55mm and AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor VR 55-200mm Lens with Vibration Reduction
PLUS - Bonus Nikon Gadget Bag and 2-Instructional DVDS!

CRUZTAKER
04-20-2008, 08:03 AM
Very nice!
The D80 body will retain it's value over the years. I got nearly a 70% return on my D70 body on ebay after 2.5 years of use.

I currently shoot with D80 while in my transition to a D3 series.

Indeed the the Nikkor Lenses are priced unussually high compared to other manufacturers, but they are very, very good glass.

I only bought one Nikkor lens. My 18-200 with VR. Very pricey...around $750 with VR, but from what I learned using a few Tamaron long lenses with my D80 was that the 'snap to focus' was much slower, and terrible loud compared to the Nikkor.

I will however buy another manufacturers 10-20mm wide. I haven't made up my mind, but I have 3 I like. These range $290-$400 as compared to the Nikkor at a rediculous >$800. This lens will be solely used for landscapes, so I don't worry about auto-focus times, motor noise, nor lack of VR.

If you get a speedlight, get the SB-800. I have a SB-600, and although it works fine, I need a bit more power at times. If you want a deal on a used 600 let me know. I have been itching to upgrade.

If you need any help/suggestions with this unit, ask anytime.

AND!...I have a special something something I can forward you for Nikon editing.

CRUZTAKER
04-20-2008, 08:07 AM
This is the package I'm looking at. Ritz camera has it for $1250

Includes: D80 DSLR Camera, AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor 18-55mm and AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor VR 55-200mm Lens with Vibration Reduction
PLUS - Bonus Nikon Gadget Bag and 2-Instructional DVDS!

Carrying two lenses can be cumbersome, and difficult to change in certain conditions.

If both lenses you mention have similar speed (f-stop wise), why not go for an all purpose 18-200 for now? Perhaps even with the VR is budget permits.

oldekid
04-20-2008, 08:16 AM
It sounds like you are already upgrading, and that is probably a good thing. Since I don't know much about the Nikons, I doubt that I can help. I do agree with CRUZTAKER though about having a good walk around lens for your body. I have a 300mm prime lens that stays in it's case a lot. My walk around lens is the Canon 24-105mm F4.0L IS (image stabilization). That gives me decent wide angle and mild telephoto coverage, that also doesn't weigh a ton.

Good luck, and I hope you get something soon.

arejayesss
04-20-2008, 08:22 AM
Yeah, I was looking at those flashes, and thought at this point I don't NEED them, yet. The built in pop up flash seems to have mixed reviews. Of course it will be better to get the external SUPER flashes, but maybe I should wait and experiment with the camera itself first and learn to adjust the ISO before just adding a flash.

arejayesss
04-20-2008, 08:38 AM
Carrying two lenses can be cumbersome, and difficult to change in certain conditions.

If both lenses you mention have similar speed (f-stop wise), why not go for an all purpose 18-200 for now? Perhaps even with the VR is budget permits.

Good point. I cannot argue with that, BUT (well I guess I can:D) The 18-200 VR lense is $750:eek: It is considerably cheaper to go with the two seperate lenses. Plus, I think it would help in my self tutorial on what subject can / should be shot from a said distance. Since I've never used a DSLR camera, I actually have no idea how to gauge distance of a subject and compare that to mm needed. If I have the 55-200 VR lense loaded, and want to take a shot from 5 ft away, would it work at all?

arejayesss
04-20-2008, 10:01 AM
I'm headed out to pick up tuxedo components and run some other errands, so I think I may just stop by Ritz camera shop and check out these cameras in person.

Breadfan
04-20-2008, 04:09 PM
Okay, after doing some more research this morning, I realized that the D80 has several advantages over the D40x.

-Lense choice seems to be much more vast with D80
Probably true, though AF-S choices will grow as the years go by. So yes you are right.
D40x = All functions possible with AF-S
D80 = All functions possible with all AF Nikkor lenses

-Manufacturer's claim on battery life D40x-up to 520 Pictures
D80 - up to 2700 Pictures:eek:
I took 677 pictures on Saturday and still had 3/3 battery bars on my D40.
-Focus areas/sensors D40x = 3 / D80 = 11
Three focus area's is a sore spot I have on the D40, you can do fine with them but more is better for sure!

-Auto Exposure Bracketing D80 = 2 to 3 exposures in increments between 1/3 to 2.0 EV (±2 EV) D40x= NONE

Is this additional over what the 40 series has? D40 has ISO 1600 plus a High ISO mode (probably a 3200) and noise reduction. I'm sure the D80 may have some better noise redution and higher ISO

Thoughts?

My thoughts are that you cannot go wrong with a D80. :beer:

Get VR is you can you will enjoy it when it's there!

arejayesss
04-20-2008, 05:14 PM
I bow to the camera experts at Ritz Camera. I know its different at each location, but WOW. I spoke at great length with a young guy going to school right now (For photography) who truely loves photography. He was very unbiased, although luckily he was a Nikon guy. I came back home. My fiance came home a short time later, and I said "hey, they're open till 6 if you want to go check it out" She said "alright" (I don't make any financial choices any more without her;) I learned my lesson on that one) So I showed her all the accesories that Cameron had taught me about, and the different possibilities we had. Showed her the ballpark figure (before we even left the house) I told her we can think about it some more, or do some more research.

arejayesss
04-20-2008, 05:24 PM
So in my best Cruztaker voice :

"BOOYAAH"

We cleaned up!!

Got the D80. We decided on the two seperate lenses (18-55 & 55-200VR) Also got an 8GB memory card, memory card case, nice backpack for travelling with the camera, a polarizing filter, and two lense protectors. The tripod we wanted was out of stock, we'll go get it tomorrow. All in all, not a bad little purchase. I think we will really get some great shots of our, well anything from now on:D I really want to thank you guys for all of your help in sorting out the differences on this stuff and pointing me in the right direction. Good pics to come soon............. stay tuned...........

CRUZTAKER
04-20-2008, 05:30 PM
If I have the 55-200 VR lense loaded, and want to take a shot from 5 ft away, would it work at all?

It will, however you will very limited as far as wide angle.

I assure you, the first time you are in close quarters, say a 12x12 dining room, and you want everyone in pic, there won't be enough room for you to back up to get everyone within the image.

The key to portraits, is to shoot 70mm. This gives the final image the realism of the human eye. To do so, you must step back far enough, so that when zooming to 70mm, the portrait is tightly cropped.
Now that has nothing to do with wide angle...just thought I would share that.;)

Trust me, there are timesthe 18mm aggrivates me in tight spaces.

As far as the pop up flash, again, trust me. You will find that it will frequently cast awfull shadows behind the subject. Also, it's effective range, even when boosting flash exposure +/- to its max, is limited to about 10'. It alos occationally creates anawfull black 'half moon' below the image when shoot up close.

An external flash allows bounce of walls and ceilings since it tilts in several directions, effectively sending light down on the subject rather than right at it. They also have flip down diffusers attached to soften the light, although you may find yourself using a simple 3x5 card scotch taped to the flash to further bounce forward the light.

CRUZTAKER
04-20-2008, 06:15 PM
One last thing...ask the folks at Ritz if the Nikon reps come to their stores for classes. The classes are free to Nikon owners and very informative. I have caught several here locally.

All major manufacturers do what they call 'mentor series' trips. Nikon was the was the first, and still the most elaborate. They have all inclusive trips to major cities around the world hosted by some of the finest photographers around the globe. I would like to do one of these trips some day. It is an excellent opportunity to not only see a place and vacation, but to share tips and tricks with a wide variety of individuals.

I would also suggest a subscription to POPULAR PHOTOGRAPHY AND IMAGING. It is only $7-8 per year and offers a TON of ideas and information to enlighten the new user.

arejayesss
04-20-2008, 06:28 PM
One last thing...ask the folks at Ritz if the Nikon reps come to their stores for classes. The classes are free to Nikon owners and very informative. I have caught several here locally.

All major manufacturers do what they call 'mentor series' trips. Nikon was the was the first, and still the most elaborate. They have all inclusive trips to major cities around the world hosted by some of the finest photographers around the globe. I would like to do one of these trips some day. It is an excellent opportunity to not only see a place and vacation, but to share tips and tricks with a wide variety of individuals.

I would also suggest a subscription to POPULAR PHOTOGRAPHY AND IMAGING. It is only $7-8 per year and offers a TON of ideas and information to enlighten the new user.

Ahhhhhh.. Good tip. I'll be headed back there tomorrow to pick up the tripod. I'll ask him.

oldekid
04-20-2008, 06:49 PM
So in my best Cruztaker voice :

"BOOYAAH"

We cleaned up!!

Got the D80. We decided on the two seperate lenses (18-55 & 55-200VR) Also got an 8GB memory card, memory card case, nice backpack for travelling with the camera, a polarizing filter, and two lense protectors. The tripod we wanted was out of stock, we'll go get it tomorrow. All in all, not a bad little purchase. I think we will really get some great shots of our, well anything from now on:D I really want to thank you guys for all of your help in sorting out the differences on this stuff and pointing me in the right direction. Good pics to come soon............. stay tuned...........Final advice from me: Have fun, get some great shots and be sure to share them with us. Get used to your camera and lenses before the cruise. You'll be learning about your wife for years to come, but we just want to see some really cool pictures.
Most of all, congrats and have fun.

arejayesss
04-20-2008, 07:07 PM
Final advice from me: Have fun, get some great shots and be sure to share them with us. Get used to your camera and lenses before the cruise. You'll be learning about your wife for years to come, but we just want to see some really cool pictures.
Most of all, congrats and have fun.

I will have fun, and I will get plenty of great shots, and I will share them with you! From the looks of it, I'll be learning about this camera for years to come as well! Thank you again for your help, and I look forward to making you proud with my DSLR homework.

arejayesss
04-21-2008, 09:06 AM
Breadfan:
Is this additional over what the 40 series has? D40 has ISO 1600 plus a High ISO mode (probably a 3200) and noise reduction. I'm sure the D80 may have some better noise redution and higher ISO

I think I meant to say High ISO Noise Reduction & Long exposure Noise reduction. From what I understand, the D40X does not have these features.

Aren Jay
05-04-2008, 04:45 PM
Every consider one of these:

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&productId=8198552921665309451