PDA

View Full Version : Porky's Cruise Nights in Des Moines, IA

Eric91Z
04-18-2008, 06:04 AM
Well, those of you from Des Moines, IA may or may not know much about Porky's Cruise Nights. It is a restuarant that has done cruise nights for 20+ years. Well the land that the place is on was sold to Hy-Vee last year and that area will be torn down in the name of a new grocery store.

But, I just found out that Porky's will be doing about 3 months of cruise nights this year. Most likely the April-June time frame (maybe May-July, don't know for sure).

But that means that we can plan some cruises there. I will probably try to hit about every Wednesday and Saturday night I can during that time frame. Hoping John (TooManyFords) can try to bring ProRauder down at least once in that time frame. And hoping some of you other Iowa guys can make it down at least once before they close.

Just thought I would share. Porky's does their car nights on Wednesday and Saturday and Bike Nights on Tuesday and Thursday (I think that's right for the bikes).

Feel free to get a hold of me if you can make it to town for a cruise night sometime.

Black_Noise
04-18-2008, 09:33 AM
that sucks that they are closing.

Eric91Z
04-18-2008, 09:45 AM
that sucks that they are closing.

I agree. I have spent the majority of my life, especially since getting my license living within a couple miles of there and always being up there. Although the food service has not been the best the last few years, they cater more to the motorcycle crowd, and they have lost some of the parking space they used to have, but it is still the best car cruise night in the area. Just make sure you don't show up before 6:00pm as they only let the older cars and Corvettes park in the lot before 6pm.

TooManyFords
04-18-2008, 05:35 PM
I'll do my best to get down there!

John

kcsd823
04-18-2008, 06:13 PM
Just where is this at?

Eric91Z
04-18-2008, 08:46 PM
Just where is this at?

Corner of Douglas Ave. and Beaver Ave. If you take I-80/35 to the Merle Hay Road exit. Go south on Merle Hay about a mile or so to Douglas Ave. Turn east on Douglas and go a couple miles and it is on the South side of the road.

Black Dynamite
04-18-2008, 08:55 PM
Maybe I'll try to make it down for one of these.
Man, Im not old by any means but I remember when there were a LOT more cruise nights all over the place. So rare anymore...

Eric91Z
05-21-2008, 05:53 AM
Hey guys, Porky's is still open - for now. So if you want to plan a Saturday cruise night there I am up for it. I could even do this Saturday, but not sure how busy they will be with it being a 3 day, Holiday weekend. Lot of people normally travel out of town.

But let me know and I am up for making it there one Saturday if you guys want to head to Des Moines.

TooManyFords
05-21-2008, 09:22 AM
Eric, I'll just have to see when it gets out of the shop. I had it back for the World Street Challenge last weekend after getting the BigStuff3 installed and now it goes back next week to get the axle narrowed and caged. So maybe sometime in July if Porky's is still around I can make it. Maybe...

Cheers!

Pops
05-21-2008, 09:26 AM
John how did you do at the World Street Challenge?

TooManyFords
05-21-2008, 10:01 AM
I registered for the Mod-Motor/LSx/Hemi Shoot-out and did not compete after my first test-n-tune pass. Car ran great on the dyno but we never got to tune for nitrous, just ran out of time and got there at 1AM Friday morning. We tuned for the 150+ nitrous in the timing tables and then found that it was not correctly wired. With the timing way to conservative and no spray, it only ran a 13.14 @ 92 and change. I went out and bought the USB-Serial adapter I needed on Saturday but decided against messing with it during quallifying rounds.

I just parked it in the pits and looked pretty. (the car, not me...)

:D

I now have the nitrous hooked up and figured out all the nuances of the BigStuff3 tuning and am ready to go back to FLP for more dyno time.

Pops
05-21-2008, 10:05 AM
I would have waited like you did John. Not the place to try new stuff.

Eric91Z
05-23-2008, 07:34 AM
I registered for the Mod-Motor/LSx/Hemi Shoot-out and did not compete after my first test-n-tune pass. Car ran great on the dyno but we never got to tune for nitrous, just ran out of time and got there at 1AM Friday morning. We tuned for the 150+ nitrous in the timing tables and then found that it was not correctly wired. With the timing way to conservative and no spray, it only ran a 13.14 @ 92 and change. I went out and bought the USB-Serial adapter I needed on Saturday but decided against messing with it during quallifying rounds.

I just parked it in the pits and looked pretty. (the car, not me...)

:D

I now have the nitrous hooked up and figured out all the nuances of the BigStuff3 tuning and am ready to go back to FLP for more dyno time.

Too bad on that. I talked to a buddy of mine that was down there for the weekend. He is good friends with Bob Kurgan who was also down there. Bob was tuning cars all weekend and even had a Dyno down there. Could have gotten you hooked up with him and had it taken care of pretty quick while you were there...

TooManyFords
07-30-2008, 07:13 AM
Just FYI, I'll be down to Porky's this Friday night.

John

Eric91Z
07-30-2008, 09:07 AM
Just FYI, I'll be down to Porky's this Friday night.

John

Why Friday night? Something special or are you just coming down? Car cruise nights are usually Wednesday and Saturday nights. Either way, let me know what time. I have to drop my daughter off in Ames Friday night by 5pm and then will be heading back down here. So I can make Friday night. I will be out of town on Saturday though (actually up kind of your way in Eldora camping/tubing).

TooManyFords
07-30-2008, 09:10 AM
Teh annual Family Reunion over in Mitchellville. I'm going to stay in Ankeny friday night with some cousins and go eat and hang out at Porky's till it closes (9PM?) and then go raise hell somewhere else.

Are there other cruising hangouts in Des Moines for when Porky's closes?

Eric91Z
07-30-2008, 10:01 AM
Teh annual Family Reunion over in Mitchellville. I'm going to stay in Ankeny friday night with some cousins and go eat and hang out at Porky's till it closes (9PM?) and then go raise hell somewhere else.

Are there other cruising hangouts in Des Moines for when Porky's closes?

Not really, then again I haven't been out cruising much like I used to do. I think they have pretty well shut down downtown Des Moines as far as cruising goes. I will post this up on SVTP.com and see if we can get some of those guys to come, too.

What time do you think you will be there?

TooManyFords
07-30-2008, 10:09 AM
Not really, then again I haven't been out cruising much like I used to do. I think they have pretty well shut down downtown Des Moines as far as cruising goes. I will post this up on SVTP.com and see if we can get some of those guys to come, too.

What time do you think you will be there?

Somwehere between 4pm and 6pm I guess. Time for dinner!

Eric91Z
07-30-2008, 10:15 AM
Somwehere between 4pm and 6pm I guess. Time for dinner!

Sounds good. I will be leaving Ames by 5pm or a little before, home to switch cars and then up to Porky's. Guessing I will get there a little after 6pm.

Iowa Rick
07-30-2008, 11:37 PM
My wife mentioned how she would like to get to the fair this year. Might be a chance to meet some of you Iowa guys. We'll bring the MM and probably stay at least one night. I don't have a date yet. Rick

The MM goes in the body shop 8/12 - the last big storm we had blew a fairly large limb onto the trunk. It goobered up the trunk on the drivers side corner by the back window. Estimate came in just under $1K for it and a small dent on the right front fender from blowing trash.

TooManyFords
08-01-2008, 02:29 PM
Eric, I ran into problems this afternoon and will not be in Des Moines tonight.

On the way out of town the old computer in the car started rebooting like the car had no voltage. The speedo, tach and all the idiot lights were going on and off, which didn't bother me until the transmission would not stay in gear. Seems like the drive back home in the rain from the Summer Nationals did my electrical system in.

It's too hot and muggy out to start tearing the car apart so it looks like it will have to be another day.

Sorry

John

Black_Noise
08-03-2008, 01:00 PM
i still want to see your car tomanyfords,