PDA

View Full Version : must rotors be resurfaced

burt ragio
04-21-2008, 01:34 PM
At 55000 miles it is almost time for new front brake pads. I'am considering Hawk HPS pads. I have heard most brake pads are self seating today. Because my rotors are still smooth with no groves do I need to have them resurfaced ?

Hadamustang1
04-21-2008, 01:41 PM
Yes.. Unless you live in a trailor park.. Its the right thing to do. Also get the
Bearings repacked at the same time..

Paul T. Casey
04-21-2008, 01:49 PM
Re-surfacing will also lighten them up a little, freeing up maybe.1 mph on the big end. Seriously, they may have built up a little bit of a glaze, so re-surfacing is in order.

cyclopsram
04-21-2008, 01:54 PM
when reinstalling the wheels, be sure to torque them to spec or you risk warping your rotors...

Stranger in the Black Sedan
04-21-2008, 02:07 PM
Yes.. Unless you live in a trailor park.. Its the right thing to do. Also get the

Bearings repacked? Are you still in the 1960s? You can't pack a sealed hub

Blackmobile
04-21-2008, 02:07 PM
At 55000 miles it is almost time for new front brake pads. I'am considering Hawk HPS pads. I have heard most brake pads are self seating today. Because my rotors are still smooth with no groves do I need to have them resurfaced ?

No not really, BUT if you don't, before the end of the life of your pads the rotors would probably start to squeal when braking. So best suggestion is to get them cut.

I say this because I've been exactly where you are suggesting to go.

P.S.
If they are in good shape then they won't have to take off too much metal before they are perfect again.

TooManyFords
04-21-2008, 06:55 PM
Turning rotors that do not have grooves or pulsate due to warp is a TOTAL waste of money.

You can't "glaze" a rotor. Pads can glaze but not the rotors. The more you turn them the sooner they can warp due to heat and fatigue. There is a reason they are thick to begin with.

Get the good pads and be done!

John

wchain
04-21-2008, 07:09 PM
good information here
http://www.bendixbrakes.com/download/pdf/Twenty-first-Century-Rotors.pdf

GordonB
04-21-2008, 07:41 PM
Hi all,
Anyone ever heard of re-surfacing a rotor with a brake hone (stone) as opposed to CUTTING them? Seems like the LM Dealers only know how to CUT rotors and ten tell you the rotors have reached the Min wear point and you need to buy new rotors as well.
I have 58K on Blue and 48K on DTR and none of my rotors have any grooves at all. Not sure I trust any dealer mechanic to shave 0.002 off each side of my rotors -- I may ask one of the mechanics at the dealer Open House / Car Show.
Comments on when/when to get brake rotors honed?
GordonB

04-21-2008, 07:42 PM
Just because rotors LOOK flat to your naked eye does not mean they are truly flat. Turn them, please.

I have no idea what you are talking about w/ honing. A "brake hone" is for honing a master cylinder when you rebuild it.

Brake rotors can either be turned on a lathe (cheaper, most shops do it, but it record-grooves the rotor unless you break the grooves w/ a random orbit finishing tool) or ground (OE rotors are ground, ie on a stone, but its still not "honing")

GordonB
04-21-2008, 08:17 PM
Ok, OK. Sorry I used the wrong word. What I implied by my careless use of words was that few shops seems capable of finishing a rotor with a random orbit finishing tool or ground it on a stone after cutting it on a lathe.

Now that we have established my intent has anyone run into a good brake shop that "finishes rotors" after cutting?

GordonB

04-21-2008, 09:18 PM
Sure, just ask if they put a nondirectional finish on after lathing. Most shops don't, but the good shops do, and will tell you so up front if you ask. The nondirectional finish keeps the record grooving from wanting to pull the pads in the direction of the grooves, which can cause chatter.

I have had more bad experiences turning rotors than good since most shops don't know what they are doing w/ a brake lathe anymore (few will have the right tool for a rotor hat -- most use a brake drum clamp on a rotor hat, which does not center the rotor -- the machinist will just eyeball it, and you end up with a cut that is not concentric w /the axis of the rotor)

burt ragio
04-22-2008, 04:37 AM

What if I live in a double wide that is skirted and has a carport ?

burt ragio
04-22-2008, 04:55 AM
Sure, just ask if they put a nondirectional finish on after lathing. Most shops don't, but the good shops do, and will tell you so up front if you ask. The nondirectional finish keeps the record grooving from wanting to pull the pads in the direction of the grooves, which can cause chatter.

I have had more bad experiences turning rotors than good since most shops don't know what they are doing w/ a brake lathe anymore (few will have the right tool for a rotor hat -- most use a brake drum clamp on a rotor hat, which does not center the rotor -- the machinist will just eyeball it, and you end up with a cut that is not concentric w /the axis of the rotor)

Without coming off like an ass to a shop how would you ask if they have the correct lathe tools to do the job & if they but an orbital finish on ?

04-22-2008, 06:56 AM
Just ask, do you put a nondirectional finish on your rotors after cutting them? If they say no, they just cut them and give them to you, or if they have no idea, go to another shop.

This is why I just throw rotors away now, even if they have 90% left on them. It's not worth going to 20 shops to find someone that will cut them properly, unless you find a shop you can trust.

Hadamustang1
04-22-2008, 07:01 AM

Sorry: I was just being a smart ass.. Maybe I need my bearings packed with sand..
:flamer:

CanadaMarauder
04-22-2008, 07:31 AM
I have done brakes without machining and just (scuffing) with rotors with emory cloth and had no problems, but machining is good to get correct pad surface to rotor mating. That being said machining also makes them thinner and more prone to pulsation...When I did the brakes on my Marauder I installed a cheap ($30 each) pair of cross drilled rotors from my local parts store and have had NO problems with them. 3 Highway trips with multiple excessive speed stops/slowdowns still no pulsation...Just weigh your pros and cons.
My .02