PDA

View Full Version : 4R70W - 2nd Accumulator

Ford_w/loctite
04-22-2008, 05:16 AM
Hey guys, I've been reading up on the 4R70W & before she comes apart I have one question I was hoping you all could answer. One of the updates that is called for with the 4R70W is changing out the 1-2 Accumulator from aluminum to the steel one. My question is: Were the 2003 4R70W's already updated with this part or are they still the aluminum style? (I haven't removed the valve body to do a visual & would like to have it ready when I do, if need be)

Thanks in advance for your help!

Josh
03' MM

Loco1234
04-22-2008, 05:54 AM
It is a realitively cheap part that comes with the Ford master tranny rebuilt kit.
Although I do think they made that change around 2001 so the 2003 tranny should already be done...

Ford_w/loctite
04-22-2008, 10:36 AM
Although I do think they made that change around 2001 so the 2003 tranny should already be done...

Can anybody confirm that? The transmission update book says in 97' they updated the 1-2 accumulator, but doesn't state when or if the other accumulator was updated. :help:

Ford_w/loctite
04-22-2008, 04:52 PM
The transmission update book says in 97' they updated the 1-2 accumulator, but doesn't state when or if the other accumulator was updated. :help:

Whoops, :o what I ment to say was that they updated the 2-3 (NOT THE 1-2) Accumulator in 97, but it doesn't state if and/or when the 1-2 Accumulator was updated. This is from the ATSG Update Handbook, BTW.

HwyCruiser
04-22-2008, 05:57 PM
I just received the parts to do this on my '94 Mark VIII. This is a fairly typical upgrade for older 4R70W's.

Part #s:
F7AZ-7F251-AA, Accumulator Piston
F4AZ-7F247-A, 1-2 Cover and Seal
F75Z-7F284-AA, Upper (Blue) Spring
F7AZ-7F284-BA, Lower (purple) spring

Paid about $54 shipped (thanks Ray!). I don't know when they changed the piston design, but they say if your noticing a sluggish shift or hunting it's time to check the 2nd accumulator piston o-rings and springs. I haven't dropped the pan yet but from what I understand you don't need to remove the valve body to get to the 2nd accumulator. A good time to do the J-mod though if your so inclined. I've got a Transgo modified vb on the Mark so I'm actually trying to soften the 1-2 up a bit.

whd507
04-22-2008, 07:09 PM
I had to replace the piston on my 95 TC and the spring. I thought it was fixed in 97?

KillJoy
04-22-2008, 07:14 PM
Contact Darrin....... at BC Automotive.

He did WONDERS on my Trans........ and he DEFINATELY knows hits stuff!

:up:

KillJoy

JACook
04-26-2008, 01:10 AM
F7AZ-7F284-BA, Lower (purple) spring

That's actually the part number for the violet spring. The purple one is F3LY-7F284-A.

BTW, the light blue upper and purple lower is the hot tip for those who have done the J-Mod,
but don't like the lift-throttle harshness with the lower 1-2 accumulator spring removed.

Also, the bonded accumulator pistons were a mid-year '97 change. All '98 and newer 4R70Ws
and all 4R75Ws already have the bonded steel pistons.

http://www.p71interceptor.com/tranny/accumulators/tsb971111.pdf

Marauderjack
04-26-2008, 04:31 AM
BTW, the light blue upper and purple lower is the hot tip for those who have done the J-Mod,
but don't like the lift-throttle harshness with the lower 1-2 accumulator spring removed.

^^ +10!!!

Marauderjack:D

Brian Humphries
04-26-2008, 10:51 AM
Does any1 have the part # for the plate that gets all the holes drilled in it? and the thread for the J-mod in general?

fastblackmerc
04-26-2008, 12:10 PM
Search and ye shall find!

Ford_w/loctite
05-04-2008, 04:08 PM
I know there's allot of different opions on what should be done with this tranny (e.g. "J-mod" or tune"). My feelings have always been, do it right the first time. Especially when comes to transmissions. So I went to something I've used for years on Chevy transmissions (Yes, I said it :P),a shift kit from the guys at Transgo. The way I see it, they've been messing with transmissions for a long time & gotta know something by now. :bows:

I gotta tell ya, this has made the difference. She no longer has sloppy shifts from 2-3, the 1-2 is firm (I didn't install the second spacer, for those who know about this kit) although it still has good manners at low speeds. And at WOT she nails it every time! BTW - My MM is still in stock form. Tune will come next.

Also, I in response to my opening question the 1-2 accumulator is the updated steel version in stock form. :beer:

Cheers!

Josh
03' 300A - Garage fresh shift kit!
86' Cutlass Salon - "Sweet Cheeks"
74' El Camino - "El Ticket Getter"

HwyCruiser
05-04-2008, 05:04 PM
After I replaced the 2nd accumulator springs and spacer that came with the Transgo kit and updated to the newer steel piston and cap I'm kinda liking the shift kit on the Mark VIII. The 1-2 firmness matches the 2-3 pretty well and I really like the crispness of the shifts.

TooManyFords
05-04-2008, 06:39 PM
After I replaced the 2nd accumulator springs and spacer that came with the Transgo kit and updated to the newer steel piston and cap I'm kinda liking the shift kit on the Mark VIII. The 1-2 firmness matches the 2-3 pretty well and I really like the crispness of the shifts.
And where are the pictures of the new ride?? Hmm??

:D

HwyCruiser
05-04-2008, 08:52 PM
And where are the pictures of the new ride?? Hmm??

:D

Between working on the transmission and replacing an upper control arm (sounds easy, wasn't) I've been working on shining it up. Here's how it looks when I close my eyes: link (http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll105/LincTudor/Mark%20VIII/LoweredMarkVIII.jpg)

That one isn't mine but it's the same idea, black / lowered / sunroof, etc., just needs some more quality time with the Porter Cable to shine it up as good.

RF Overlord
05-05-2008, 07:02 AM
a shift kit from the guys at Transgo. The way I see it, they've been messing with transmissions for a long time & gotta know something by now. You may want to read this post (http://forums.modulardepot.com/showthread.php?t=4121&highlight=transgo). Scroll down to reply #8 from SCT Guy...that's Jerry Wroblewski, the father of the 4R70W and one of the most knowledgeable people on earth when it comes to this transmission.

Marauderjack
05-05-2008, 02:45 PM
I wasn't going to comment but my trans guy said the same thing Jerry W. said in the above link about the Transgo kit......It does work but jeopardizes the transmission in the process!!:shake:

I did the J-Mod and the 1-2 shift was way too harsh.....put in Mustang 1-2 accumulator springs and it is much better.....I may try the Marauder 1-2 springs just for kicks next time I drop the pan!!

Everything else about the J-Mod is fine by me and very inexpensive as well as easy!!:beer:

Marauderjack:burnout:

Ford_w/loctite
05-06-2008, 10:54 AM
Hmmm... :o

Guess I'll just have to see what happens. So far it's been all right, and I like the way it is now. I'll keep everyone posted and let them know if any problems arise.

Darrin
05-07-2008, 08:59 AM
I want to tell you guys that if you need either both springs or just that lower spring then I can sell them to you for FAR less than the price from Ford.

Call me at 317-514-0816 if you need anything.

Darrin

JimmyXR7
05-18-2008, 08:02 AM
. . . a shift kit from the guys at Transgo. . .
I gotta tell ya, this has made the difference. She no longer has sloppy shifts from 2-3, the 1-2 is firm (I didn't install the second spacer, for those who know about this kit) although it still has good manners at low speeds. And at WOT she nails it every time! BTW - My MM is still in stock form. Tune will come next.

Josh
03' 300A - Garage fresh shift kit!
86' Cutlass Salon - "Sweet Cheeks"
74' El Camino - "El Ticket Getter"

I purchased my Marauder used at a dealer with 30k on it. When I run Wide open throttle and it shifts to 2 nd gear it spins the tires. I have new OEM BFG on the rear (2K miles).
Do you think it could have had a shift kit installed in it?
Jim

RF Overlord
05-19-2008, 08:12 AM
It could have a shift kit, a j-mod, or a tune...no way to tell without contacting the previous owner(s).

Stranger in the Black Sedan
05-22-2008, 11:27 AM
The stock MM did not spin the tires shifting, no way no how. So you most likely have a tune. The stock tune is so worthless that there are an unfortunate few still driving around w/ the stock tune. So buying a used MM may well end you up w/ a tune.