PDA

View Full Version : Is there a cat back exhaust

MarauderBoy
08-18-2003, 08:28 PM
After reading the closed Bill thread and subsequent comments I am wondering if there is simply a cat back, hi flow exhaust available. I posted a 263+ rwhp on Chicago gas with only Denso spark plugs, Five less than Bill, nine less than others with exhaust mods plus. It would seem to indicate that the headers/exhaust is worth roughly four+ to eight+ HP. I asked how much headers alone were worth when the headers were introduced but subsequent posts disregarded any numbers by suggesting that they are a component in larger HP numbers. Maybe they are worth it on the high end and i certainly agree Dennis in that sound is probably one of the reasons exhaust headers get the nod so often and quite frankly, the noise with the headers is great. But the hp gains might be comparable if there was simply a hi flow cat, xpipe exhaust available. Given the numbers, I can't say that the exhaust is that restrictive, only a little dull in the sound department. If sound is the main reason, is it possible to achieve the same sound with a cat back, xpipe only? Is your money better spent elsewhere first? Again, this is no flaming against previous post, just trying to spend my dollars wisely, gain HP and seek advice.

TAF
08-18-2003, 08:40 PM
Here you go MarauderBoy

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2828

Dennis Reinhart
08-19-2003, 03:38 PM
Thanks Taf and Right now I am having 6 sets of new Manifolds jet coated to test with the high flow cats and X pipe assembly, and I believe these may show more of a gain, but again let me test them before I quote any thing.

schuvwj
02-11-2004, 08:03 PM
Thanks Taf and Right now I am having 6 sets of new Manifolds jet coated to test with the high flow cats and X pipe assembly, and I believe these may show more of a gain, but again let me test them before I quote any thing.

Dennis would you please tell me what the differences are between the shorty Ford motor sport headers and so called Cobra headers?

Thanks!

FordNut
02-11-2004, 09:51 PM
After reading the closed Bill thread and subsequent comments I am wondering if there is simply a cat back, hi flow exhaust available.

The closest thing to what you're asking about is the Borla system. It is 2-1/4" with H-pipe instead of x-pipe. It consists of mufflers, pipes, and tailpipes. I believe the tailpipes have tips on them but they're different from the MM tips. It is all stainless and is expensive. I believe Joe (JOFLEWBYU2) has this system. It does not have high flow cats and does not replace the front part of the system which contains the cats. Nor does it replace the section behind the cats (about 1 ft. long) between the outlet of the cats to the flanges, which is only 2" dia. I don't believe he did before/after dyno pulls.

I had a custom system put together similar to this, connecting to the flanges and going to a Bassani x-pipe, then going to Edelbrock mufflers which are connected to the stock 2-1/4" tailpipes. It was all 2-1/2" stainless. I did dyno tests and this mod by itself only gave me about 4 hp. It did make a much more aggressive sound however. But it likely contributed quite a bit to the numbers after the headers and high flow cats were installed. And my rwhp is at 288, gaining a full 20 hp with before/after dyno tests of the header/high flow cat install. And the headers/cats even made it sound meaner than it did before.

Marauderjack
02-12-2004, 05:18 AM
FordNut....

How do you hang the mufflers?? The OEM hangers appear to be on the side of the mufflers along with the vibration damper thingy?? :(

I dualed a CV once and had to scramble to get a damper from a junk yard since the pipes rattled terribly with only one!! :bounce:

Did you use the dampers and if not does it rattle just off idle?? :nono:

Marauderjack :coolman:

Cobra25
02-12-2004, 06:32 AM
Dennis I have a quick question for you, It's something I don't understand, X Pipe / H pipe. Now lets say the H pipe is 2 inch ,you whould have a totle of 4 inch exhaust coming out ,now the X pipe 2 inch with 4 totle where it meets the X is that smaller than 4 inch or I'm I wrong, I just don't know and was wondering why the X is better than the H pipe if so. Thank You !

Logan
02-12-2004, 06:42 AM
I'd be remiss not to mention Kook's Headers..

Clicky Click (http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?t=5053) for the details on MY gains...

The stock exhaust system is completely worthless past 5200rpm and the power nose dives like a owl after a mouse... Switching to headers or Dennis' polished/ported/coated manifolds completely open up the powerband past 5200rpm...

FordNut
02-12-2004, 01:38 PM
FordNut....

How do you hang the mufflers?? The OEM hangers appear to be on the side of the mufflers along with the vibration damper thingy?? :(

I dualed a CV once and had to scramble to get a damper from a junk yard since the pipes rattled terribly with only one!! :bounce:

Did you use the dampers and if not does it rattle just off idle?? :nono:

Marauderjack :coolman:

I used the hangers for an '02 CV. They have 2 hangers for each muffler and attach at the back of the mufflers. Quite rigid. I didn't use any dampers and don't have any rattles.

CRUZTAKER
02-12-2004, 01:51 PM
I'd be remiss not to mention Kook's Headers...

I wanted to say that, but didn't because of the forum the thread was started in.
Thanks Logan.

schuvwj
02-13-2004, 05:32 AM

Dennis would you please tell me what the differences are between the shorty Ford motor sport headers and so called Cobra headers?

Thanks!

schuvwj
02-15-2004, 08:28 AM

Maybe sending this memo to Dennis Reinhart three times will create an answer.

""Dennis would you please tell me what the differences are between the shorty Ford motor sport headers and so called Cobra headers? HP gains?"

Cobra25
02-16-2004, 02:07 PM
I need to pick your brain for a minute, Magnaflow Hi flo vs Dyno Max Ultra-flo SS muffler's. Is the Dyno Max quieter than the Magnaflow ? And is the tone much different.? I figured if any body knew this, it might be you. Thank's!

MarauderBoy
02-16-2004, 08:09 PM
Maybe sending this memo to Dennis Reinhart three times will create an answer.

""Dennis would you please tell me what the differences are between the shorty Ford motor sport headers and so called Cobra headers? HP gains?"

Bill,

The Cobra headers are really Cobra manifolds that are mildly tweaked and have a silver powder coat finish. The main benefit is that they install easily, add HP and work well with the high flow cats and x pipe that come with the kit. i kept the stock mufflers on and I think it works well and sounds great.

Mark

schuvwj
02-16-2004, 11:12 PM
Bill,

The Cobra headers are really Cobra manifolds that are mildly tweaked and have a silver powder coat finish. The main benefit is that they install easily, add HP and work well with the high flow cats and x pipe that come with the kit. i kept the stock mufflers on and I think it works well and sounds great.

Mark

Thanks Mark! I appreciate your reply.