PDA

View Full Version : Paint Blisters - They Got To Go!

ParkRanger
04-30-2008, 03:25 PM
I've had it with the paint blisters. My hood and roof are just COVERED with them!
Any suggestions before I look to get her painted -- and where in So Cal area?

Thanks

PR :burnout:

finster101
04-30-2008, 04:30 PM
I've had it with the paint blisters. My hood and roof are just COVERED with them!

Thanks

Mine is the same way, and Ford says "tough". This is probably my first and last FOMOCO product.

MERCMAN
04-30-2008, 04:47 PM
If you purchased th car new, I would have a talk with the dealer. Typically all paint issues have the 12/12 warranty, HOWEVER, a number of members have had paint work done after the warranty expired. I had the hood, trunk, and roof repainted for the very reason you complain of. My car was 4 yrs old and had 25K on it and my dealer went to bat for me and got it done. Do a search for acid rain and checkthe number of members that have the same issue

Here is a link

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?t=18959&highlight=acid+rain

finster101
04-30-2008, 06:58 PM
I have gone that route to no avail. I bought the car new in Jan O3.

prchrman
05-01-2008, 05:35 AM
Mine is the same way, and Ford says "tough". This is probably my first and last FOMOCO product.

not my first but maybe my last...paint SUCKS...dealer, Ford, nobody cared or helped...I am a life long Ford fan but I kinda feel toasted and yeah I chime in on every paint thread to vent because every time I wash it I get a sick feeling when I see all those craters :mad2: :mad2: :mad2:...OBTW 2 spots on the top are starting to rust so I am going to have to do something soon...I would have to have the hood, roof and trunk painted before I could even sell it...WORST paint on ANY car I have ever owned, period, and I have owned alot of em...It's a crying shame that you buy a fairly primo car, the paint sucks and everone ignores the issue...willie

ParkRanger
05-01-2008, 08:46 AM

That's what I figured. But it's ok as I have a $_itload of scratches and dings from freeway pebbles and rocks which will now finally be taken care of.

However, I have never heard of this happening on a car paint job before. It's one of the few disappointments in my love affair with this car.

On the positive side - waxing after the paint job and she will be looking SHARP!

Oh yeah - 1st air cav. The line separates the horse$-it from the men!

Bluerauder
05-04-2008, 04:30 PM
Just washed my car this afternoon and noticed the beginnings of three small blisters on the roof. I am not happy about this. :(

There is a guy with a Black MM running around this area that has blisters all over the roof like a case of smallpox. He's not a member here on the site -- but the roof is covered with the dayum things.

carfixer
05-04-2008, 05:01 PM

This is why Ford is loosing customers.

As some of you know, I am the service manager at a Honda dealership. Honda has given me the permission to do whatever it takes to make the customer happy. I have given paint jobs away on 5 year old cars and offered splits to customer's 8 year old cars on Honda's dime.
I spent 17 years at a Lincoln Mercury dealer. It was very very rare to see Ford help anyone with paint issues outside of their warranty. Heck, it was difficult to get it covered when the car was in warranty.

The paint blisters you are experiencing is a documented factory defect. Unfortunately, you have to rely on Ford to do the right thing and that will not happen. :(

dreydin
05-05-2008, 08:55 AM
my car is riddled with these things! what the deuce? :(

Pops
05-05-2008, 08:58 AM
When you get it repainted make sure they strip off the old finish or the problem will be back!

james79stang
05-06-2008, 08:28 PM
I went to the owner of the dealership.. walked in asked for him and sat down and waited for him... i talked politly and had him look @ the issue of the pox.. top and deck... since hood been painted twice by then... um..lol.. iwent in last year with 80,000 miles on her... i told him i had talked to everyone even Mercury satifaction line... said i would hear from him quickly... the next day they were tring to track me down.. made offer to pay 1/2.. which i was more than ready to do....my parent's bought 5 vehicals from this dealership.. and i have bought 2... my daught 1... never hurt's to go right over all to the top.. and try not to take no as answer...James

sailsmen
05-06-2008, 09:50 PM
This is why Ford is loosing customers.

As some of you know, I am the service manager at a Honda dealership. Honda has given me the permission to do whatever it takes to make the customer happy. I have given paint jobs away on 5 year old cars and offered splits to customer's 8 year old cars on Honda's dime.
I spent 17 years at a Lincoln Mercury dealer. It was very very rare to see Ford help anyone with paint issues outside of their warranty. Heck, it was difficult to get it covered when the car was in warranty.

The paint blisters you are experiencing is a documented factory defect. Unfortunately, you have to rely on Ford to do the right thing and that will not happen. :(

Honda being a Japanese company retains the culture of not telling someone no.

dreydin
05-07-2008, 07:39 AM
so is there a remedy for these "paint blisters?" like a good clay bar/buffing? what about the acid bath remover stuff? or are these two diff issues?

prchrman
05-07-2008, 08:13 AM
so is there a remedy for these "paint blisters?" like a good clay bar/buffing? what about the acid bath remover stuff? or are these two diff issues?

no....nothing outside of strip and new paint...it's embedded in the paint...willie

dreydin
05-07-2008, 08:43 AM
no....nothing outside of strip and new paint...it's embedded in the paint...willie
so theres a difference between this issue and the acid one, right? im not sure which one mine is then o_O

does anyone have pics?

prchrman
05-07-2008, 01:16 PM
so theres a difference between this issue and the acid one, right? im not sure which one mine is then o_O

does anyone have pics?

more than likely we are talking the same thing...pits all over the place...must be about a million on my hood, top and trunk...Ford does not care so I do not care to buy another Ford product...willie

dreydin
05-07-2008, 01:36 PM
im gonna take some pics and post it up. im hoping its the acid mess, so i can actually fix it =(

TiTo35
05-07-2008, 03:49 PM
im gonna take some pics and post it up. im hoping its the acid mess, so i can actually fix it =(

If you are talking about the blisters...they cant be "fixed"...I have an early 300A...Soooo that means I have blisters...but do you know what happens after the blister??? BAM!!! Chipping and flaking...so you have been warned! Just limit....scratch that DONT go thru carwashes and keep an eye on them and save up for a paint job...my .02.

ParkRanger
05-07-2008, 04:24 PM
Well, the cost of a new paint job is prohibitive. :mad:
For a good paint job could run from at least $6K to 3X as much.
Even at the low end they can't guarantee that the blisters will not return! :eek: *****t!
A cheap paint job maybe the answer to prevent the chipping/flaking that is sure to follow but the MM would then look like crap!? :bigcry:

It's like a cancer that keeps spreading and growing. :depress:

Stranger in the Black Sedan
05-20-2008, 04:54 PM
I paint cars as a hobby and associate w/ real auto painters. There is nothing on earth you can do except repaint. My 300A had all the horizontal surfaces repainted by the dealer BEFORE ever selling the car brand new. It had 39 miles on it and was already repainted. I was lucky in that respect. Often OEM paint is more valuable than a respray -- not w/ these cars sometimes!

Save your moneys and shop around, but you're going to need a re-do.

TiTo35
05-20-2008, 05:22 PM
I paint cars as a hobby and associate w/ real auto painters. There is nothing on earth you can do except repaint. My 300A had all the horizontal surfaces repainted by the dealer BEFORE ever selling the car brand new. It had 39 miles on it and was already repainted. I was lucky in that respect. Often OEM paint is more valuable than a respray -- not w/ these cars sometimes!

Save your moneys and shop around, but you're going to need a re-do.

Do you think your buddies that do paint are willing to do a "group buy?" I mean alot of us has the same problem...SOOOOoooooooooooo if alot of us go to him can we get a discount...I figure it never hurts to ask.:o

ckadiddle
05-21-2008, 09:25 AM
I haven't had any paint issues with Blue Thunder (yet) but the areas that have been repainted by my local dealer are definitely superior to the areas that are factory.

ParkRanger
09-05-2008, 10:28 AM

Thanks

UPDATE:

Well got mm repainted and picked her up yesterday and must admit it just looks *****en! :D Like when I picked her up in 03. :banana2:

They also waxed and detailed, cleaned the engine and engine compartment and then burped me as I got in to drive away.

I have to admit it looks very good and the nagging of those blisters are finally off my mind and shoulders - it was really bugging me! If you can afford it I strongly urge you to paint asap.

I'm good for another 10 years.

TiTo35
09-05-2008, 10:33 AM
UPDATE:

Well got mm repainted and picked her up yesterday and must admit it just looks *****en! :D Like when I picked her up in 03. :banana2:

They also waxed and detailed, cleaned the engine and engine compartment and then burped me as I got in to drive away.

I have to admit it looks very good and the nagging of those blisters are finally off my mind and shoulders - it was really bugging me! If you can afford it I strongly urge you to paint asap.

I'm good for another 10 years.

Who painted it? Price? Pics?

Blk Mamba
09-05-2008, 10:38 AM
Priced a re-paint the other day, $3476 complete, and another $1500 for the ghost flames I want, and about $1100 to do the wheels like I want them. Now I'm looking for a new daily driver for work.

Bradley G
09-05-2008, 10:47 AM
I got Maaco scheduled for later this month, Nott!

bossguy
09-12-2008, 07:15 AM
I've got them too! they get worse every time I wax the car (alot) I see them on the roof now. Come on Ford, step up!

ParkRanger
09-19-2008, 09:04 AM
Who painted it? Price? Pics?

A collision repair shop that works for a bunch of different dealers in Cerritos, CA.

Original quote = $5400. Got Ford to kick in $1500 (used my recent Bullitt purchase and future Shelby GT500 purchase as leverage). Also negotiated the balance down to $3K total with the shop. Looks brand new!

No more f.....ing blisters!