PDA

View Full Version : rpm shift points?

justbob
05-03-2008, 09:10 AM
Ok so my main goal is to try and reach 3rd gear in the 1/4. Currently stock i run through the traps at 92-94 on average, well i don't shift untill 96mph. I bought a superchips used because of finances and i've played with the shift points and right now they are currently at 5700 rpm instead of 6200 and it seems like a vast improvement over stock. I am now shifting into 3rd at around 88mph. Now heres the question am i sacrificing performance by creating an earlier shift that just feels good or could it actually make a difference? Next question, what is the best rpm range to shift at between 1-2 & 2-3 on a basically stock mm? I don't feel any difference with the superchips at take off but there is a difference from 3000 and up. And also i firmed up the shifts so i'm not losing as much rpm in between shifts. I just want to take my friends 07 mustang gt next time we go, he has excellent reaction time and i was leaving at .7 to .9 every time but i always gained back on him at 3/4 track and it was obviously too late. This time i know better and i'm leaving a lot quicker and hopefully have more gears to go through to compete to his 5sp auto.

red
05-03-2008, 09:27 AM
Ok so my main goal is to try and reach 3rd gear in the 1/4.
3rd gear will decrease your rate of acceleration (it's 1:1) and you'll be starting out in the bottom of the power band. Why do you want to reach 3rd gear?

Now heres the question am i sacrificing performance by creating an earlier shift that just feels good or could it actually make a difference?
You'd be sacrificing performance as your motor is likely still making power well above 5700. My modified N/A was still making power at 6300. Shifting will also slow you down and I would suggest keeping it in second to avoid the shift unless you're loosing power early in the RPMs. Obviously changing gears, tires diameter, or power will affect where you shift relative to the 1320 gates.

Next question, what is the best rpm range to shift at between 1-2 & 2-3 on a basically stock mm?
I had mine set around 6200 early on, but later increased it up to 6300+.

justbob
05-03-2008, 09:45 AM
it just seems that every time she shifts no matter the gear that the car comes alive once again almost like it was running at the same hp and tq since about 5400 and that it was ready for a shift. i have never felt a big difference between 5400 and 6200, i wouldn't say a loss was happening but nor a gain. Also i can't downshift this car without sending her to 66-6700 rpm so no more of that. Example: someone runs up on you at the wrong time (37mph) so it won't downshift automatically so you click it down manually and off you go and immediately i upshift but nothing happens untill 66-6700 rpm. And since i've allready taken a few thousand miles off my engine by doing that twice now i shall stop and just let them go by. A bit off my original question but this is another problem thats been with her for the last 3 1/2 yrs. Thanks for helping. Bob

offroadking208
05-03-2008, 10:25 AM
When i got the superchips 1725 for my CVPI it firmed the shifts up all right, but then everytime it would shift 1-2 at WOT i would hear the serpentine belt scream (rather than the rear tires :( ), and it still squeaks from 2-3. It's a goodyear gatorback belt that i got last september, lol. Any suggestions on that one?

sailsmen
05-03-2008, 11:12 AM
Same thing happens when I let off of the throttle and then got WOT.

Try going down the track by letting off the throttle and then going WOT. It will feel like she is accelerating hard the whole way down the track.;)

Do you think the quicker feel will translate into a quicker time?:rolleyes:

Try it and let us know the outcome.

The butt meter is just that a meter for butts.

ps My butt meter just told me I was a butt for posting the above so now I am in time out until my butt meter tells me I can come out.

justbob
05-03-2008, 11:20 AM
I guess i'll have my hands full with t&t on may 18th, till then keep the hammer down and the storyboard full. Peace.

red
05-03-2008, 05:24 PM
i have never felt a big difference between 5400 and 6200, i wouldn't say a loss was happening but nor a gain.
You need to dyno the car to tell whether it's still making power. Make sure you get an A/F reading. Post up once you do.