PDA

View Full Version : Had A Blast At the NEWTON DRIVE IN (pics)

Black_Noise
05-04-2008, 12:01 AM
WOW, WOW, WOW.
It was great.

The movies were ok, (Prom night, and 21) but the drive in part of it was so much fun. It was my first time going to a drive in theater. We really had a great time.

It started around 8:15, the sun was just setting when we watched a preview and then on to the movie. It only took about 25-30 mins for it to get dark. There was 2 ways to get the sound, either the old school box in you window, or through your radio. We took the Ram (02 QC Sport 4x4 4.7L with factory Infinity Sound System) Dam it sounded good, just like being in a theater.
Me and the wife and the daughter (5) got in for $15, and its a double feature (2 for the price of 1) and a Large popcorn is $5. Best family entertainment Ive ever spent. They also have a lot of grassy room to set up a blanket and chairs to watch up front. There was also people in trucks that backed in and were sitting in the back of their trucks in chairs or blankets. Very cool. We just went with the traditional pull in and recline the seat alittle. There was a concession stand with all the normals of a theater and more and also decent clean bathrooms .

The movies of the night were not really what I want my daughter to watch, but I really wanted to try the place out so I can start letting people know about it. May 20th or so they are doing a double feature of IORN MAN and the NEW INDIANA JONES. We will be there for that hell or high water, and early to get a great spot!

This place has been in business for like 70 yrs, and I see why!

I HIGHLY recommend this to anyone in Iowa!!

Also... I thought it was just a drive in myth that people got busy in their car during the movie. NO SIR!! There was a late 90s explorer next to us and their windows got pretty fogged up during the second movie, and the wifey swears they were doing some fellatio, and the other side of me there was a late 90s Caddy with a couple of teens and their window were very very fogged during the 2nd movie... then they left about 2/3rds of the way through the 2nd so I'm guessing they were done doing whatever they were doing! Maybe it my daughter wasn't with us, were might have done the same.

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x180/black300a/Newton%20Drive%20In/IMG_0258.jpg

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x180/black300a/Newton%20Drive%20In/IMG_0259.jpg

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x180/black300a/Newton%20Drive%20In/IMG_0260.jpg

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x180/black300a/Newton%20Drive%20In/IMG_0264.jpg

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x180/black300a/Newton%20Drive%20In/IMG_0265.jpg

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x180/black300a/Newton%20Drive%20In/IMG_0266.jpg

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x180/black300a/Newton%20Drive%20In/IMG_0267.jpg

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x180/black300a/Newton%20Drive%20In/IMG_0268.jpg

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x180/black300a/Newton%20Drive%20In/IMG_0273.jpg

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x180/black300a/Newton%20Drive%20In/IMG_0280.jpg

Bluerauder
05-04-2008, 04:13 AM
Also... I thought it was just a drive in myth that people got busy in their car during the movie. NO SIR!!
Nope, pretty much standard practice as I remember. :D

ckadiddle
05-04-2008, 06:10 AM
Nope, pretty much standard practice as I remember. :D
Yeah, that's what i remember too. Next time you go take only the wife and a quilt or blanket. ;)

It's very sad that all the drive-in movies in my area have been demolished for development.

Black_Noise
05-04-2008, 04:35 PM
we were just laughing most of the 2nd movie, we couldnt believe it. Right next to us people getting it on.

oldekid
05-04-2008, 04:42 PM
we were just laughing most of the 2nd movie, we couldnt believe it. Right next to us people getting it on.Ahh, the good old days. So, what were they doing. . . . texting to each other right there in the car? :banana:

Black_Noise
05-04-2008, 04:56 PM
well to quote myself

There was a late 90s explorer next to us and their windows got pretty fogged up during the second movie, and the wifey swears they were doing some fellatio, and the other side of me there was a late 90s Caddy with a couple of teens and their window were very very fogged during the 2nd movie... then they left about 2/3rds of the way through the 2nd so I'm guessing they were done doing whatever they were doing!

Black Dynamite
05-07-2008, 07:34 PM
HAHA FELLATIO....what fun.......

I was half afraid you'd show pics of those teens doing that..

j/k

TiTo35
05-07-2008, 07:37 PM
:lol: Who says Fellatio?!??!

Black_Noise
05-07-2008, 11:08 PM
well i figured it would pass the swear censor in the site.

SID210SA
05-08-2008, 05:39 AM
There is a swear sensor?....wow....Yeah...we had a drive in here in San Antonio up till about a year ago....unfortunately while it was closed for the season vandals got into it and stole all the copper out of the a/c's and wrecked the inside of the consession stand and film rooms....they did tens of thousands of dollars of damage and the drive in decided not to re open and sold the property to the city. The city is going to knock it down and build a rec center or something like that. Very sad....good memories of that place!!

dreydin
05-08-2008, 07:58 AM
bah, i wanna get busy in a drive-in theater =(

Ms. Denmark
05-11-2008, 07:49 AM
Also... I thought it was just a drive in myth that people got busy in their car during the movie. NO SIR!! There was a late 90s explorer next to us and their windows got pretty fogged up during the second movie, and the wifey swears they were doing some fellatio, and the other side of me there was a late 90s Caddy with a couple of teens and their window were very very fogged during the 2nd movie... then they left about 2/3rds of the way through the 2nd so I'm guessing they were done doing whatever they were doing! Maybe it my daughter wasn't with us, were might have done the same.

Wow! These are Iowans you're talking about? Sure they weren't some of those frisky Minnesotans from over the border?;) As someone born and raised in Humboldt, Iowa (and proud of it BTW) I'm pretty sure this never went on at The Humota Theater! I'm shocked! :eek: :D:D:D

[/quote]

lastdaze04
05-11-2008, 08:53 AM
[quote=black_03;612782]WOW, WOW, WOW.
It was great.

It started around 8:15, the sun was just setting when we watched a preview and then on to the movie. It only took about 25-30 mins for it to get dark. There was 2 ways to get the sound, either the old school box in you window, or through your radio. We took the Ram (02 QC Sport 4x4 4.7L with factory Infinity Sound System) Dam it sounded good, just like being in a theater.
They also have a lot of grassy room to set up a blanket and chairs to watch up front. There was also people in trucks that backed in and were sitting in the back of their trucks in chairs or blankets. Very cool. We just went with the traditional pull in and recline the seat alittle. There was a concession stand with all the normals of a theater and more and also decent clean bathrooms .

I HIGHLY recommend this to anyone in Iowa!!

Hey Black 03: I used to live in Marshalltown Ia. about 20 years ago. They used to have a nice drive in movie theater. I used to go to that one with my wife (newly married):D.
I wonder if it is still there???
Rick

Ms. Denmark
05-11-2008, 09:04 AM
They have great loose meat sandwiches in Marshalltown. Always plan to drive through there when we're in Iowa.

lastdaze04
05-11-2008, 10:24 AM
They have great loose meat sandwiches in Marshalltown. Always plan to drive through there when we're in Iowa.

Hey Miss Denmark: Are you refering to "Maidrite" sandwich shop? I used to go there all the time for lunch. You are right they are good sandwiches.:beer:
Rick

Ms. Denmark
05-11-2008, 11:36 AM
Hey Miss Denmark: Are you refering to "Maidrite" sandwich shop? I used to go there all the time for lunch. You are right they are good sandwiches.:beer:
Rick
Damn straight! We always make a point to stop and either sit at the counter or sometimes take them "to go" and sit in the park just as you drive out of town. They go great with a malt! (the only time I order a malt is to go with my Maidrite.) We had a little burger shop in Humboldt that we always called Maidrite, but I'm sure it was because they made loose meat sandwiches that were similar. My Mom called them that because she used to live near Marshalltown as a kid. Gee, it's making me hungry and homesick! :bigcry:;)

Black_Noise
05-11-2008, 07:18 PM
Hey Black 03: I used to live in Marshalltown Ia. about 20 years ago. They used to have a nice drive in movie theater. I used to go to that one with my wife (newly married):D.
I wonder if it is still there???
Rick

No its no longer around

And the maidrite is always good, i usually only go about once every 4-5 months. They can ship anywhere in the world though, its all over the place inside, if you want you can order them online i bet, or i could stop in and have them send to ya.

or you could still just come and get em right in the dinner.

lastdaze04
05-11-2008, 07:39 PM
No its no longer around

And the maidrite is always good, i usually only go about once every 4-5 months. They can ship anywhere in the world though, its all over the place inside, if you want you can order them online i bet, or i could stop in and have them send to ya.

or you could still just come and get em right in the dinner.

Too bad its gone, :( what is in its place?? My wife and my daughter and two grandsons and my Son-in-law are going up to Newton the 24th of May to see her mom. She said that she will eat a couple of Maidrite's for me:D. Then she will go over Zeno's Pizza and eat a couple slices of my favorite Pizza, Soooooo I should be feeling pretty satisfied that week, lol. Yak atchya later.:beer:
Rick

Black_Noise
05-11-2008, 07:41 PM
Zenos? YUK, grease on bread I think.

Marshalltown has thier public works building there now, I think the screen is still there, or it was a year or so ago.

lastdaze04
05-11-2008, 08:03 PM
Zenos? YUK, grease on bread I think.

Marshalltown has thier public works building there now, I think the screen is still there, or it was a year or so ago.

Ha ha, to each thier own or else Zeno's has gone down hill. Too bad had a lot of good memories there.
Have you taken your MM to Nieta Raceways in Waterloo yet? I used to have a 340 Plymouth Duster that ran mid 14's. It used to be a good facility I don't know if it is even still around, so much has changed in the last 20 years. I went back to M'town last year and the economy seemed depressed. What's your take??
Rick

Black Dynamite
05-11-2008, 08:28 PM
I havent been there in over a year but yeah the Maid-rite is there and its still delicious. I try to eat there whenever I happen to be near M-town.