PDA

View Full Version : My day at the track

Mest30
05-19-2008, 05:33 AM
This is the first time I ran with my pullies and water pump. I did beat my previous best, but not by much. Overall, I was pretty dissappointed with my times, but I did have massive tire spin on each run and a fellow member who was behind me in the staging area informed me that I only had one tire spinning, so I probably need a new clutch. Anyways, here are my times

1st run - 14.537 @ 96.16.
2nd run - 14.547 @ 95.90
3rd run - 14.468 @ 95.82 (best run ever for the marauder)
4th run - 14.628 @ 95.26

My trap speeds were higher across the board than they were last time at the track but my 60 times were worse across the board. Last time, though, I had very little if any tire spin. My car also died out while heating up the tires before the 2nd run. Dont know why.

Pops
05-19-2008, 05:38 AM
The 60 foot times is where it all happens and the tire spin slowed those down. Fix the posi and work on tire pressures and you will see a lot of gain. Not bad times the way I see it!

sd8683
05-19-2008, 05:42 AM
What are you using for tires?

Mest30
05-19-2008, 07:25 AM
My tires are stock. A buddy of mine told me about some stuff you can buy that sprays onto your tires that helps them grip. I'm going to try that and fix the clutch and add a few things so hopefully next time I can get in the 14.2s. I probably am not going to run again until Sept or Oct because running in the middle of the summer isnt going to show me any progress. Hopefully by drag season next year I'll have a TC.

sd8683
05-19-2008, 07:42 AM
My tires are stock. A buddy of mine told me about some stuff you can buy that sprays onto your tires that helps them grip. I'm going to try that and fix the clutch and add a few things so hopefully next time I can get in the 14.2s. I probably am not going to run again until Sept or Oct because running in the middle of the summer isnt going to show me any progress. Hopefully by drag season next year I'll have a TC.

I'm sure the tires are your problem, I wouldn't use those to make a tire swing, I'm goin to the track on the 31st with pretty much the same mods as you plus a t/c and I can't wait to see what I run

Mest30
05-19-2008, 12:22 PM
With a tc, you should be in the 13s.

sd8683
05-19-2008, 01:18 PM
With a tc, you should be in the 13s.

I sure hope so!!

gmtech
05-19-2008, 03:10 PM
I'm sure the tires are your problem, I wouldn't use those to make a tire swing, I'm goin to the track on the 31st with pretty much the same mods as you plus a t/c and I can't wait to see what I run
which stall did you go with?

justbob
05-19-2008, 06:59 PM
Hey Mest30 i was there too and i also spun my one tire in the right lane more than half the track because i didn't even know it was spinning untill i saw all that smoke in the mirror. This has never happened to me in the four years i've owned the car and it did'nt happen again on sunday, but i just had new clutchs installed 3 thousand miles ago and i was told that others were spinning just one wheel in that lane also that day. So who know's what was happening with all of our cars besides slick and cold and also that vette probably didn't help with that tranny fluid bath all the way down the track.

sd8683
05-19-2008, 08:08 PM
which stall did you go with?

I went with the PI t/c with a 2800 stall

sd8683
05-19-2008, 08:13 PM
Hey Mest30 i was there too and i also spun my one tire in the right lane more than half the track because i didn't even know it was spinning untill i saw all that smoke in the mirror. This has never happened to me in the four years i've owned the car and it did'nt happen again on sunday, but i just had new clutchs installed 3 thousand miles ago and i was told that others were spinning just one wheel in that lane also that day. So who know's what was happening with all of our cars besides slick and cold and also that vette probably didn't help with that tranny fluid bath all the way down the track.

What do you have for mods if any? And what were your times?

Bradley G
05-19-2008, 08:36 PM
I had the Cobra clutches installed with the F-150 spring, in my carrier.
The grip is much improved over the worn stockers.
No More peg leg! :banana2:

justbob
05-19-2008, 08:52 PM
16.8 @ 88 spinning half way down
15.6 @ 91 bad tire spin but atleast both wheels
15.1 @ 94 not using the converter

Only superchips handheld

Mest30
05-20-2008, 05:31 AM
I had the Cobra clutches installed with the F-150 spring, in my carrier.
The grip is much improved over the worn stockers.
No More peg leg! :banana2:

Dont forget to give me the part number so I can get one. I might be getting my valve body kit installed the sunday after next. I'm going to try and buy the clutch before then so I can get it all done at once.

Stranger in the Black Sedan
05-22-2008, 01:55 PM
This has never happened to me in the four years i've owned the car and it did'nt happen again on sunday, but i just had new clutchs installed 3 thousand miles ago and i was told that others were spinning just one wheel in that lane also that day. So who know's what was happening with all of our cars besides slick and cold and also that vette probably didn't help with that tranny fluid bath all the way down the track.

The stock trac loc just does not have a lot of torque bias. The track is so much stickier than the street, that you are really getting to see how the posi performs under power. Some of my older cars in the past would burn 2 tires on the street but at the track I would get the left spinning much slower than the right.

It seems like verything goes to hell in a handbasket once you are sitting at the 1/4 mile track... LOL. My cars always run great until I have to put them to the test

Bradley G
05-22-2008, 03:57 PM
Pm sent M4700C is the Ford Racing part # comes with the heavy duty spring
Dont forget to give me the part number so I can get one. I might be getting my valve body kit installed the sunday after next. I'm going to try and buy the clutch before then so I can get it all done at once.

BigCars4Ever
05-22-2008, 06:10 PM
You shouldn't be heating your stock tires. They will get worse traction. Drive around the water and spin the tires over a few times to get them clean. When I autocross I get my worse traction when the tires get too hot.

Mest30
05-23-2008, 05:26 AM
That's what I do. I just called it heating them up. But I do it primarily for cleaning purposes.