PDA

View Full Version : Premature Front Tire Wear

bchapman
08-21-2003, 05:40 AM
Many of us are experiencing wear on the insides of our front tires. I am pursuing different reasons for this, including too aggressive camber settings.

Another possibility may be the front coil springs. There have been incidents in the past where too short coil springs caused the weight of the front end to bear down on the wheels, bowing them inward and causing inner tire wear.

This is posted on Blue Oval News:

Crown Victoria, Grand Marquis May Have Defective Front Coil Springs
07 August 2003
Robert Lane

Some 2003 Ford Crown Victoria and Mercury Grand Marquis models may have defective front coil springs. The springs may cause the vehicle to have a harsh ride or the suspension may sit low in the front.

If such conditions apply, owners may be entitled to have their dealer replace the existing springs with revised Ford springs. According to a Ford memo, the revised springs provide a higher ride height at curb and reduce the possibility of the front being too low.

The new front coil springs are listed as part numbers: 3W1Z-5310-EA and 3W1Z-5310-HA.

This is considered a "silent recall" where upon Ford may NOT notify owners of this condition. Owners should contact Pat Hoye (313) 248-8336 at Ford World Headquarters or click here for a Ford executive assigned to your area.

I don't know if this is the scenario for the 2003 Marauder, but it's worth a consideration.

TripleTransAm
08-21-2003, 10:07 PM
Who's willing to bet those 'defective' Crown Vic / Grand Marquis springs are actually Marauder springs that mistakenly made their way onto those other Panther cars? ;)

Bradley G
10-17-2006, 10:50 AM
came across this,
I'm sure the cause of my tire wear is aggressive camber, not the wrong springs.

Krytin
10-17-2006, 12:06 PM
It's acually the toe angle - at least on my car it was. After three sets of front tires I finally got someone to align to carfixer's specs and after 10k miles the inside edge looks better than it ever did before (now I have equal edge scrubbing from driving like an idiot!).

Hotrauder
10-17-2006, 12:16 PM
What he said^^^^Dennis...carfixer:bows :

BAD MERC
10-17-2006, 03:11 PM
I have that problem exactly. Mine goes straight down the road and never pulls. That is why I never bothered with having the alignment checked. Now I have two front tires with 8K on them that need replaced. Not too happy since they look brand new in the middle.

Peter
10-17-2006, 03:13 PM
I thought Marauder and Crown Vic/Grand marquis have diffrent coil springs?

Tyrone Minto
10-18-2006, 05:08 PM
Just put the 4th set on at 80k
Wore the first 2 sets out fast on the inside edge until I sc***** the original specs. The last set of fronts I dismounted the fronts and rotated the tires side to side on the front. Inside edges become outside edges. This gave me an extra 10k miles on them and the look better than when I rotated them.