PDA

View Full Version : In Dash All The Bling Recommendations

HiHo
05-20-2008, 06:02 PM
With my recent purchase of a MM I am looking at upgrading the head unit to a Nav/bluetooth/Ipod/Hard Drive/Sat Radio/DVD unit.
One of the units I have been looking at (though have seen no discussion of in the forums) is the JVC KD NX-5000. Any thoughts? Or perhaps observations of the portable units such as the Garmin Nuvi 760?

Thanks!

Pops
05-21-2008, 05:57 AM
The indash units are the best. Pioneer is the the main brand that I sell and new units will be arriving soon.

magindat
05-21-2008, 06:26 AM
D3 look the absolute best in the car. Hands down. All you mentioned can be run from the D3.

KillJoy
05-21-2008, 06:33 AM
I have a AVIC D3, purchased from John Kuhn.

The install is rather straight forward, the tech support (Andy) is simply amazing, and the unit itself just plain ROCKS!

:up:

KillJoy

GreekGod
05-22-2008, 07:15 AM
The GreekGod is a do-it-yourself kind of guy, but when it comes to installation of an in-dash nav system, the expertise of an installer like John's man Andy is a wise investment. The quality work is guaranteed, and done while you wait.

If it is a nice day, you can go to the North beach at South Haven while they work on your car, and see all the cute 18-30 year old women in their swim-suits. You will think, "if I knew then, what I know now...". Then (if your over about 50), reality slaps you in the face, and you see a gorgeous centerfold type beauty, you will think, "I wonder who's PITA daughter that is?".

The (now discontinued) Pioneer AVIC D2 I have had for months now, has proven to be excellent, with few design faults (no mute button, and other minor things). John mentioned to me the aftermarket in-dash units are much better than factory installed ($2,000 to $3,000 + ) nav systems, such as on his wife's Mercedes SUV. I was on a two-track county road in rural Newaygo county, MI, and it was shown on the map! The millions of restaurants, hotels, motels, banks, etc. stored on the nav disc will astound you (well, they did the GreekGod).

DOOM
05-22-2008, 07:33 AM
Pioneer Z2, john kuhn is da man dont waste your time with ANYONE else. NUFF SAID :up:

arejayesss
05-22-2008, 07:38 AM
With my recent purchase of a MM I am looking at upgrading the head unit to a Nav/bluetooth/Ipod/Hard Drive/Sat Radio/DVD unit.
One of the units I have been looking at (though have seen no discussion of in the forums) is the JVC KD NX-5000. Any thoughts? Or perhaps observations of the portable units such as the Garmin Nuvi 760?

Thanks!

D3 look the absolute best in the car. Hands down. All you mentioned can be run from the D3.

Me no thinkey its got the hard drive

DOOM
05-22-2008, 08:35 AM
The Z2 has the hard drive 30gigs total 10gigs for music also plays dvd's and has a 7inch HD screen. It dosent get any better than that.

Pops
05-23-2008, 04:53 AM
The new Pioneer Nav. Units have the hard drive for the Nav. part in it. They will be easier to use. We should have them in stock by the end of June.

GreekGod
05-23-2008, 08:32 AM
The new Pioneer Nav. Units have the hard drive for the Nav. part in it. They will be easier to use. We should have them in stock by the end of June.

John, does this mean there are no nav dvd's needed for them?

Pops
05-27-2008, 06:08 AM
Dale its on the hard drive. They still have discs.

magindat
05-27-2008, 07:57 AM
no mute button

I can tell you how to fix that....

magindat
05-27-2008, 07:59 AM
Me no thinkey its got the hard drive

To me, Hard Drive and Ipod are redundant. Ipod IS a hard drive.

Besides, with the USB controller add on to D3, you can attach any size USB powered drive you want.

However, the interface with Ipod is the most robust.

magindat
05-27-2008, 08:03 AM

Yes, for Nav. Not for music.

However, music can run off SD or USB....

magindat
05-27-2008, 08:05 AM
We should have them in stock by the end of June.

I'll be doing mine and Dennis's then!!!!

There will soon be a used D1 and used D2 for sale!

GreekGod
05-27-2008, 09:05 AM
I can tell you how to fix that....
Please do!...also, I would like to know/understand what options I have with my D2, especially USB or Music Player connections. You also have led me to believe some hacking is possible?

magindat
05-28-2008, 11:54 AM
Please do!...also, I would like to know/understand what options I have with my D2, especially USB or Music Player connections. You also have led me to believe some hacking is possible?

PM for phone number.

Windsor58
05-28-2008, 07:18 PM
I have the garmin 760. It is a great unit, but I still want an AVIC Z3 or maybe the new F series coming out. You just can't beat having it in the dash. I've had portable and in dash units and the in-dash are much more convenient. I rarely use the Garmin, except on trips because I don't want to leave it in the car and it takes a few seconds to set up the base for it.
If you travel a lot on airlines, the Garmin is great to take along and use in rentals and even walking. You can also hook the Garmin up to your computer and download new maps (at a cost), POIs, and software updates quickly. You don't have to wait for a CD.
All that said, I still prefer the in-dash units. I just need to save up for a while to get one.

magindat
06-02-2008, 11:23 AM
I have the garmin 760. It is a great unit, but I still want an AVIC Z3 or maybe the new F series coming out. You just can't beat having it in the dash. I've had portable and in dash units and the in-dash are much more convenient. I rarely use the Garmin, except on trips because I don't want to leave it in the car and it takes a few seconds to set up the base for it.
If you travel a lot on airlines, the Garmin is great to take along and use in rentals and even walking. You can also hook the Garmin up to your computer and download new maps (at a cost), POIs, and software updates quickly. You don't have to wait for a CD.
All that said, I still prefer the in-dash units. I just need to save up for a while to get one.

This unit apparently does the same updating, but loads updates to SD and you carry the card to the car and insert into unit.