PDA

View Full Version : Another Marauder Owner Vacationing in Vancouver

Professor
05-21-2008, 02:12 PM
Hello friends in the "Great White North." (You'll have to excuse me, but Rick Moranis movies are my source of knowledge for Canada ... so "Take off ... you hosers." :o) Anyway, the wife and my two kids are flying out on Saturday (May 24th). We are flying to Seatle and then driving to Vancouver. We are probably going to hit Stanley Park on Sunday (& aquarium), then we are going to stay the night in Vancouver. The next morning, we are going to hit the "Sea to Sky Highway" to Whistler (not sure why folks said to avoid this area ... friends who have visited love it). We are staying Monday night in Whistler village and then easing back down to Vancouver on Tuesday. I'd like to visit a nice waterfall on the way back down (we flatlanders don't see waterfalls anywhere but TV) ... so I was thinking about detouring to Shannon Falls ... if it's not too hard to find and I don't get lost. :o Anyway, Tuesday night we'll be staying at the Fairmont Hotel Vancouver downtown (and we'll be there the rest of the week). We were hoping to hit Grouse Mountain (just for the skyride and the views). I am presenting research at a Marketing Science conference in the middle of the day on Weds, Thurs & Fri. Visits to Chinatown and Robson St. are planned for the evenings on those days. We drive back down to Seattle Saturday morning and fly back to North Carolina.

I can't imagine that Vancouver is as dangerous as the places that I have called home growing up (e.g., Miami), but I do want to stay out of the "rough" high crime areas (if there is such a thing).

Any advice for a newbie with a freshly minted passport and two kids (I feel like Clark Griswald ... minus the cross-country car ride)?? We plan to do touristy stuff (this is our first visit, but won't be our last) this time with lots of pretty pictures to bring back to the family. Our itenerary is pretty laid back (can't get too ambitious when traveling with a 16 month old and an 8 year old). Anyway, any imput is appreciated. :beer:

Professor
05-21-2008, 02:14 PM
By the way, we were going to try to fit in a visit to Victoria and Butchart Gardens, but decided to save all the ferry rides and Vancouver Island excursions for our next visit.

freakstatus
05-21-2008, 05:04 PM
Wow seems like you have a packed schedule already. Most of the stuff you've listed sounds pretty good. The whole deal about the Sea-To-Sky Hwy is that its dangerous and has been the source of many fatalities...usually drunk young punks flying down after a weekend partying in Whistler.

Some other points to consider: Granville Island public market, Robson steet, Gastown, Grouse Mountain (take the skylift to the top and have lunch at the restaurant there), and the Capilano suspension bridge. Stay out of the East end of Vancouver...believe me you'll know if your there cause cause you'll think you've ended up in the movie Resident Evil..haha. Have fun and let me know if you have any other questions. Will you have time for a meet up? I'm sure Taemian and DeMinimus will chime in.

Taemian
05-21-2008, 08:15 PM
I'd say skip Chinatown, too close to the rough areas. Nothing really to see there or around it, truth be told. (Unless you haven't seen Resident Evil Part 3)

Perhaps you'll rent a Family Truckster from Budget?;)

You could Google the Vancouver Art Gallery to see what's there, perhaps you and the Mrs want to check it out. There's also the Science World theatre, with the Imax films in the BIG SILVER BALL. It's impossible to miss, and easy to "Skytrain" to (that's our above-and-below ground subway system)

Oh yeah, listen to AM 730 Traffic Radio. Traffic here can be a nightmare, especially the Sea-to-Die, errrrr.... Sea-to-Sky highway. Construction and rockslides sometimes shut it down to a crawl. Better to spend your time elsewhere than sitting in traffic lines. I myself had a near fatal accident years ago on that stretch. I was hit head on by a car that lost control going around a long sweeping corner. Just my luck....it was an American tourist. Really. It is much wider and safer now though.

Taemian
05-21-2008, 08:22 PM
BTW, perhaps you want to ask our non-resident expert, Diabolical, for some of his ideas?:rolleyes:

de minimus
05-21-2008, 09:22 PM
I concur - skip Chinatown. Do visit Granville Island. Close by is Kitsilano - lots of nice shops and restaurants along 4th Avenue and the beach is great.
The sea to sky has been widened in many places and isn't as bad as it used to be - there is some pretty spectacular scenery along the way.

freakstatus
05-21-2008, 10:51 PM
I concur - skip Chinatown. Do visit Granville Island. Close by is Kitsilano - lots of nice shops and restaurants along 4th Avenue and the beach is great.
The sea to sky has been widened in many places and isn't as bad as it used to be - there is some pretty spectacular scenery along the way.

Ahh yes...Kits beach....If its sunny, wear your sunglasses or you might get slapped by your wife (if you know what I mean);).

Professor
05-22-2008, 05:46 AM
Thanks Gents. I'll stay away from China Town.

Aren Jay
05-22-2008, 09:54 AM
pick an expensive hotel to stay in.

Professor
05-23-2008, 09:04 AM
Stupid question: I don't need to exchange any US dollars for Canadian dollars do I (i.e., I can pay for things in US dollars?)

fastblackmerc
05-23-2008, 09:14 AM
It shouldn't be a problem. Just know the exchange rate.

ParkRanger
05-23-2008, 11:11 AM
Stupid question: I don't need to exchange any US dollars for Canadian dollars do I (i.e., I can pay for things in US dollars?)

Try to exchange just the right amount to reduce % transaction fee.

Dr Caleb
05-23-2008, 11:37 AM

Think of it this way - does your local store accept Canadian money?

Taemian
05-23-2008, 01:10 PM
US cash is accepted just about everywhere, but you lose out on a decent exchange for the most part. I have found that with my regular trips to the US, using your credit card is the best thing.

The credit card companies actually give a better exchange rate (updated/posted about once an hour) than most shops and businesses. Most folks here exchange USD at par with our money, but yesterday the Canadian dollar was actually four cents less than the USD.

Taemian
05-23-2008, 01:14 PM
Think of it this way - does your local store accept Canadian money?

Ummm...?:confused:

Most places in the States DO NOT accept Canadian cash. Even as close as Seattle, I've had problems. Oregon? Forget about it, they just tell you to go to a bank. (even though there is an RBC in Bend!?!?)

Since he's from North Carolina, I doubt they accept Loonies in stores there. Now, SC or Myrtle Beach in specific, might be different. Tourist destinations in the USA usually try to be more flexible with accepting foreign currency.

Dr Caleb
05-23-2008, 04:27 PM
Ummm...?:confused:

Most places in the States DO NOT accept Canadian cash. Even as close as Seattle, I've had problems. Oregon? Forget about it, they just tell you to go to a bank. (even though there is an RBC in Bend!?!?)

Since he's from North Carolina, I doubt they accept Loonies in stores there. Now, SC or Myrtle Beach in specific, might be different. Tourist destinations in the USA usually try to be more flexible with accepting foreign currency.

Exactally. If a store there wouldn't accept Canadian currency, why would a store here accept American? Like you say - many stores and restaurants in border and tourist towns will accept the USD out of courtesy to guests, but he'll get bent over on exchange. I used to live in Jasper, and we'd add on 10% to the exchange rate just because people were too lazy to go to the currency exchange.

Interac and Credit card companies do the same, he'll pay 5% (or more) too much just to put it on plastic. It's probably better for him to exchange before he comes, or buy CAD travellers cheques with a better exchange rate, than to go to pay for his meal and find out that they don't accept the USD.