PDA

View Full Version : Brake bleeding and Caliper R&R?

Svashtar
05-22-2008, 08:01 PM
Just exploring my options with regards to removing my calipers to sandblast and paint them, or paint on the car.

I am fairly handy, but not like many of you guys. How tough is it to bleed the brake system and remove the calipers so that I can get all the hidden areas with the color I am applying?

Then I would reinstall and refill the system. Any tips or tutorial references would be appreciated. I have a distinct memory of removing calipers off brake rotors 30 years ago in order to repack the front wheel bearings when I worked at Chevron, but never bled the system to do so.

(My mechanic told me I should bleed the system if I remove them, and has offered to sand blast them for free, then I would apply the Eastwood coating.)

Thanks as always for any info.

fastblackmerc
05-23-2008, 09:09 AM
Just exploring my options with regards to removing my calipers to sandblast and paint them, or paint on the car.

I am fairly handy, but not like many of you guys. How tough is it to bleed the brake system and remove the calipers so that I can get all the hidden areas with the color I am applying?

Then I would reinstall and refill the system. Any tips or tutorial references would be appreciated. I have a distinct memory of removing calipers off brake rotors 30 years ago in order to repack the front wheel bearings when I worked at Chevron, but never bled the system to do so.

(My mechanic told me I should bleed the system if I remove them, and has offered to sand blast them for free, then I would apply the Eastwood coating.)

Thanks as always for any info.

1. If you open any of the lines or bleeder screws you'll need to bleed the system.
2. You can bleed them a number of ways, use another person to pump the brake pedal while you open the bleeder screw. Get a one-man bleeder kit or a power bleeder.
3. You bleed brakes starting from the furthest from the master cylinder ie. the right rear, then left rear, right front and finish with the left front.
4. NEVER, NEVER let the master cylinder go dry.

If you don't feel comfortable doing this get someone to do it for you.....

fastblackmerc
05-23-2008, 09:13 AM
Here are some websites:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/automotive/how_to/4213448.html

http://www.zeckhausen.com/bleeding_brakes.htm

http://www.wikihow.com/Bleed-Brakes

http://www.aa1car.com/library/2003/bf90347.htm

http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp_howto_bleedbrakes.shtml

blackhueys
05-23-2008, 01:07 PM
if you have abs though you need the special tool that opens the valves up in the abs controller. Never get it bleed right without it.

fastblackmerc
05-23-2008, 01:24 PM
I've never had a problem bleeding an ABS system, certainly didn't need a special ABS tool.

captain
05-23-2008, 01:51 PM
Brake System Bleeding

Manual
file:///C:/TSO/tsocache/IBM-BEA88CBE9E1_2572/S3A~us~en~file=ani_caut.gif~ge n~ref.gif WARNING: Use of any brake fluid other than approved DOT 3 or DOT 4 will cause permanent damage to brake components and will render the brakes inoperative.
file:///C:/TSO/tsocache/IBM-BEA88CBE9E1_2572/S3A~us~en~file=ani_caut.gif~ge n~ref.gif WARNING: Brake fluid contains polyglycol ethers and polyglycols. Avoid contact with eyes. Wash hands thoroughly after handling. If brake fluid contacts eyes, flush eyes with running water for 15 minutes. Get medical attention if irritation persists. If taken internally, drink water and induce vomiting. Get medical attention immediately.
file:///C:/TSO/tsocache/IBM-BEA88CBE9E1_2572/S3A~us~en~file=ani_caut.gif~ge n~ref.gif CAUTION: Do not allow the brake master cylinder reservoir to run dry during the bleeding operation. Keep the brake master cylinder reservoir filled with the specified brake fluid. Never reuse the brake fluid that has been drained from the hydraulic system.
file:///C:/TSO/tsocache/IBM-BEA88CBE9E1_2572/S3A~us~en~file=ani_caut.gif~ge n~ref.gif CAUTION: Brake fluid is harmful to painted and plastic surfaces. If brake fluid is spilled onto a painted or plastic surface, immediately wash it with water.
NOTE: Pressure bleeding the brake system at 345 kPa (50 psi) is preferred to manual bleeding.
NOTE: When any part of the hydraulic system has been disconnected for repair or installation of new components, air can get into the system and cause spongy brake pedal action. This requires bleeding of the hydraulic system after it has been correctly connected.
NOTE: If the hydraulic control unit (HCU) or any component upstream of the HCU are installed new, carry out the brake system bleed procedure first without the scan tool, followed by the brake system bleed procedure using the scan tool. This reduces the risk of trapping air in the HCU.

Connect the scan tool DCL cable adapter into the vehicle data link connector (DLC) under the dash and follow the scan tool instructions.
Clean all dirt from and remove the brake master cylinder filler cap and fill the brake master cylinder reservoir with the specified brake fluid.file:///C:/TSO/tsocache/IBM-BEA88CBE9E1_2572/S3A~us~en~file=DH0360A.gif~gen ~ref.gif
NOTE: For ABS vehicles only, open the master cylinder bleed screw until clear, bubble-free fluid flows from the tube into the cup.
NOTE: Bleed the brake system in the order displayed on the scan tool or bleed from the longest to the shortest brake line.
Place a box end wrench on the bleeder screw. Attach a rubber drain tube to the bleeder screw and submerge the free end of the tube in a container partially filled with clean brake fluid.file:///C:/TSO/tsocache/IBM-BEA88CBE9E1_2572/S3A~us~en~file=GH0872A.gif~gen ~ref.gif
Have an assistant hold firm pressure on the brake pedal.
Loosen the bleeder screw until a stream of brake fluid comes out. While the assistant maintains pressure on the brake pedal, tighten the bleeder screw.
Repeat 3 times until clear, bubble-free fluid comes out.
Refill the brake master cylinder reservoir as necessary.
Tighten the bleeder screw.file:///C:/TSO/tsocache/IBM-BEA88CBE9E1_2572/S3A~us~en~file=A0027007.gif~ge n~ref.gif
Repeat Steps 3, 4, 5 and 6 for the remaining bleeder screws in the system.

Svashtar
05-24-2008, 06:56 PM
I appreciate all this info very much. I'm going to get the wheels off and the car up on jackstands and see just how much of the caliper I can get at. My plan was a good brush with a wire brush followed by cleaning with brake cleaner and then apply the color. I think I can probably get to most of them, but we'll see.

Thanks again.

burt ragio
06-03-2008, 05:04 AM
Great info on break bleeding r rear L rear r front L front 50lbs pressure ect. What I didn't know was the master cylender bleeder bit. Can the master cylender be bleed with out a scan tool ? If so would you clear a code light with out a scan tool ?