PDA

View Full Version : Rotor suggestions

ledzilla
05-26-2008, 02:02 PM
I replaced my pads this weekend with the Napa Ceramix. I must say that they a re a marked improvement over the old ones. I get better stopping power without the wheels locking up. But, when I investigated why the right one kept squeaking when I wasn't using the brakes while the left one was totally quiet, I found that the right front rotor was warped.

Any suggestions as to good replacements that are reasonably priced?

Black Dynamite
05-26-2008, 02:17 PM
Call around to local parts stores and get prices on OEM replacements.

At least thats what I'd do seeing as any real brake kits cost so damned much....:mad:

TheDonk
05-26-2008, 02:47 PM
Brembo makes aftermarket stock size for the Marauders now.
Front - Stock # 27221 (police and taxi) $85 ea thru CarQuest.

Krytin
05-27-2008, 06:07 AM
Check out the SP drilled and slotted OEM size rotors at National Fleet Parts online.
I just installed the 3rd set on my car - 78k miles with the Hawk Metallic pads. No noise and excellent stopping/fade resistence for OEM diameter brakes.

ledzilla
05-28-2008, 06:02 PM
I'm going to try a cheaper method before I go buying rotors... Getting them cut. I'll try and get that done this weekend. With any luck the right one isn't in too bad a shape for that to work. So... How do the rotors come off? I've replaced front rotors before, but the setup wasn't the same as the MM. Do they come off like drums? Or is there some weird little way that isn't obvious?

Edit: I'm kinda liking those SP slotted rotors... If I can't get them cut, I might try and get a set of those. I've been wanting slotted rotors, anyway. These are far less expensive than the ones I was previously looking at.

fastblackmerc
05-28-2008, 06:29 PM
I'm going to try a cheaper method before I go buying rotors... Getting them cut. I'll try and get that done this weekend. With any luck the right one isn't in too bad a shape for that to work. So... How do the rotors come off? I've replaced front rotors before, but the setup wasn't the same as the MM. Do they come off like drums? Or is there some weird little way that isn't obvious?

Edit: I'm kinda liking those SP slotted rotors... If I can't get them cut, I might try and get a set of those. I've been wanting slotted rotors, anyway. These are far less expensive than the ones I was previously looking at.

Take the wheels off... you'll see how the rotors come off...

If you are going to do your own work I'd suggest getting a shop manual.

ledzilla
06-04-2008, 11:37 AM
Check out the SP drilled and slotted OEM size rotors at National Fleet Parts online.

Question... Do they come pre-cut, or do they need to be cut before they're installed? I made the mistake of not having rotors cut before installation once before, and I don't intend to make that same mistake again.

Krytin
06-04-2008, 01:57 PM
They are brand new - surfaced/true from factory and are "zink washed".
This is an anti-corrosion coating that wears off when the brakes are applied.
The rotors should be installed as delivered.

Stranger in the Black Sedan
06-04-2008, 02:49 PM
Question... Do they come pre-cut, or do they need to be cut before they're installed? I made the mistake of not having rotors cut before installation once before, and I don't intend to make that same mistake again.

There is not a rotor you can possibly buy that does not come pre-cut. The only way a rotor will be warped out of the box (and it does happen for sure, I have had it happen to me) is one of two ways:

1. The rotors were stored on edge instead of flat (the boxes usually say stack flat only, but most stores don't have the space and they stack them on end)
2. Machined improperly -- I found a whole run of rear Acura TL rotors from whoever Bendix gets their rotors from, that were cut with a ton of chatter

But outside of these 2 factors, you should never need to true up a new rotor

ledzilla
07-01-2008, 12:29 PM
There were two other brands of rotors I was looking at, and I was wondering if anyone had any experience with them... Power Slot cryo slotted rotors, and EBC gold-zinc plated slotted and dimpled rotors. I plan to make my purchase on pay day this week... I am SO tired of that damned squeak from the warped rotor.

chicago_cop
07-01-2008, 12:57 PM
I replaced my pads this weekend with the Napa Ceramix. I must say that they a re a marked improvement over the old ones. I get better stopping power without the wheels locking up. But, when I investigated why the right one kept squeaking when I wasn't using the brakes while the left one was totally quiet, I found that the right front rotor was warped.

Any suggestions as to good replacements that are reasonably priced?

My wifes 98 Town Car stops better than the MM. They may be larger ?? If they fit I would consider them if they need replacing.

Taemian
07-01-2008, 03:20 PM
I'm pretty sure Dennis Reinhart has shunned the EBC stuff due to crappy products and lack of customer support. Stay away from them.

Perhaps someone can show you a link to his conversation about them.

EDIT: Use the search function here, type in EBC and POOR. That will lead you to his posts about the poor EBC stuff.

studio460
07-01-2008, 04:33 PM
I got my zinc-washed, drilled/slotted rotors from Brake Planet in Santa Clarita, CA. They have a Marauder-specific, four-rotor set, for $218.40. Yes, they're made in China. Doesn't stop the car any better, but they sure look sweet.

Brake Planet drilled/slotted rotors for Marauders (http://stores.brakeplanet.com/store/search.aspx?key=MERCURY+MARAUD ER+2004&submit=Search)

Peace2Peep
07-01-2008, 08:00 PM
I got the Powerslot Cryo rear rotors on my car(looking to do Wilwoods on the front when ready) and I love the Cryo...supposedly keeps you from warping(my rears were warped) and they look great and stop well(I used the ceramix pads too). Go for it!

red
07-01-2008, 08:13 PM
Brembo makes aftermarket stock size for the Marauders now.
Front - Stock # 27221 (police and taxi) $85 ea thru CarQuest.
I agree with TheDonk's suggestion. I recently switched to these Brembo OEMs (vented only) and Hawk Performance HPS. Neither are cheap, but they are stock replacements and are well-matched for the Marauder's weight and my horsepower level.

studio460
07-02-2008, 12:11 AM
I got the Powerslot Cryo rear rotors on my car (looking to do Wilwoods on the front when ready) and I love the Cryo...supposedly keeps you from warping (my rears were warped) and they look great and stop well (I used the ceramix pads too).
Duh! Wish I would've seen that post BEFORE I bought those Chinese rotors, which I only JUST finished installing this afternoon! After reading their website, the Cryoslot rotors seem the be the thing to get, and they're not THAT much more expensive than cheap rotors. Didn't know about the Brembos either! Oh well!

07-02-2008, 04:37 AM
Yeah, see my response to your other post. The Chines ebay rotors begin life as $29 throw away rotors and then get "bling factor" machining and plating. The throw away rotor cores are not benefitting from being drilled and plated.... stick to stock if you aren't getting something quality. I am driving on the "shudder special" rotor pros ebay chinese BS rotors until I get my old stock ones turned down. The cheap rotors are not stress relieved after machining and they often are not smooth when they are hot. They also are going to wear fast and unvenly.

ledzilla
07-02-2008, 06:45 AM
Well, they have a lifetime warranty against warping and cracking... You might just want to see if the warranty is worth it. Personally, I wouldn't want to put Chinese rotors on my car, but maybe you found something decent. Stick with them for now, and tell us how well they work out for you.

red
07-02-2008, 06:52 AM
Yeah, see my response to your other post. The Chines ebay rotors begin life as $29 throw away rotors and then get "bling factor" machining and plating. The throw away rotor cores are not benefitting from being drilled and plated.... stick to stock if you aren't getting something quality. I am driving on the "shudder special" rotor pros ebay chinese BS rotors until I get my old stock ones turned down. The cheap rotors are not stress relieved after machining and they often are not smooth when they are hot. They also are going to wear fast and unvenly.

I couldn't agree more about the cheap plated, drilled/slotted options. That's why I went with stock-ish upgrades (i.e., the Brembo OEMs), which are of better quality (and rumored to have better metal, though I have not confirmed this).

ledzilla
07-02-2008, 11:52 AM
All in all, I plan to go with the Baer rotors with Napa Ceramix (another $80 for pads, ugh) for the fronts. Later on I'll take care of the rears, since the pads still have a lot of meat on them and not a lot of wear on the rotors. I think I'll try the cryo rotors on the rear, install them later in the summer.

I'm very interested in the drilled/slotted rotors, but yeah, don't want to go real cheap on them. I've seen how the cheap ones can crack easily between the edge of the rotor and the drilled holes nearest the edge. If these turn out to be crap (at $250 per pair) you all can laugh and point at me, saying "Told you so! Should have gone OEM!".

red
07-02-2008, 02:46 PM
I plan to go with the Baer rotors with Napa Ceramix (another $80 for pads, ugh) for the fronts.

Why are you opting for ceramic pads? Dust or noise? If you want stopping power, there are better compounds (e.g., ferro-carbon). Take a look at the Hawk Performance HP Plus (track) or HPS (street), or equivalent. They dust a good bit, but the difference in stopping power over ceramics is noticeable. Tire Rack does decent testing of the products they carry. Look here (http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/brakes.jsp?make=Hawk&model=HP+Plus+Race+brake+pads) for the HP Plus and here (http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/brakes.jsp?make=Hawk&model=HPS+Street+brake+pads) for the HPS test results.

ledzilla
07-02-2008, 02:59 PM
Wow! TireRack has the Hawk HPS for a lot cheaper than the only other place I saw them for sale (can't rememebr the retailer, but they about $40 more expensive). You know, I really do want good stopping power, and they're a bit cheaper than the Napa Ceramix... Heh, better stopping is the whole reason behind getting the drilled/slotted rotors. Might as well. I hear great things in a lot places about Hawk pads.

red
07-02-2008, 03:25 PM
Wow! TireRack has the Hawk HPS for a lot cheaper than the only other place I saw them for sale (can't rememebr the retailer, but they about $40 more expensive). You know, I really do want good stopping power, and they're a bit cheaper than the Napa Ceramix... Heh, better stopping is the whole reason behind getting the drilled/slotted rotors. Might as well. I hear great things in a lot places about Hawk pads.
Pep Boys had the HPS pads in stock and I believe I paid $70-$80 for the fronts. You will need a better-than-stock rotor. The Brembo OEMs are a good choice, in my opinion.

studio460
07-03-2008, 01:09 AM
Well, they have a lifetime warranty against warping and cracking... You might just want to see if the warranty is worth it. Personally, I wouldn't want to put Chinese rotors on my car, but maybe you found something decent. Stick with them for now, and tell us how well they work out for you.
Yeah, weird about that "lifetime warranty" isn't it?

From the Brake Planet site: " . . . BrakePlanet offers LIFETIME WARRANTIES on all of its products! For brake rotors, the warranty extends to warping and cracking. For brake pads, the warranty extends to pad fading." I read all the fine print, and I couldn't find any "catch." If they're offering a lifetime warranty, why would I ever need to BUY another rotor from them? Free rotors for life, right?

ledzilla
07-03-2008, 06:22 AM
If they warp and/or crack consistently before they show reasonable wear, yup. Free rotors. hehe Of course, I bet there's a big production revolving around getting the free replacements that they just don't tell you about. Hopefully they don't do what EBC has done to Dennis.

ledzilla
07-22-2008, 12:43 PM
Well, after nearly two weeks of waiting, I finally got my new rotors. I got my new pads in a couple days (got the Hawk HPS). And if it weren't for the fact that I have to go home and deal with Comcast because my Internet service went down Friday morning (that's right, it went down Friday and they're just getting to me today), I'de get them, installed tonight. Looks like I'll have to wait until tomorrow. And if anyone has some break-in suggestions that aren't like the rediculous bed-in procedures I've read, I'd love to hear them. I'd certainly prefer to do those bed-in procedures, but I think I'd get in trouble trying to do them in my neighborhood, since I don't have a track close enough to my house.

sd8683
07-22-2008, 02:56 PM
I'm doing my brakes soon and I WAS gonna go with the eBay drilled and slotted rotors along with the napa pads, but after reading that they are from china I wanna steer clear of them, I really like the looks of the drilled and slotted rotors though, my question is are there any good OEM size drilled and slotted rotors that are good quality that aren't gonna break the bank??

thanks, Sean

Bradley G
07-22-2008, 04:24 PM
I just replaced my fronts with Duralast.
They were much nicer than I had predicted, They actually have more vanes than The Baer Decellerators(drilled& slotted).The Baer's are apparently warrantable up to three years.
A CVN & MM.net member has graciously offered to replace them for me under warranty.

sd8683
07-22-2008, 04:31 PM
I just replaced my fronts with Duralast.
They were much nicer than I had predicted, They actually have more vanes than The Baer Decellerators(drilled& slotted).The Baer's are apparently warrantable up to three years.
A CVN & MM.net member has graciously offered to replace them for me under warranty.

The duralasts are drilled and slotted?

07-22-2008, 07:18 PM
No, it's a mid level auto parts store replacement rotor.

ledzilla
07-25-2008, 09:22 AM
Got the new rotors and pads installed last night. Took a couple pics. A little fuzzy since they were taken with my phone, and I think there were fingerprints on the lens. Can't wait to see what they can do, but I want to make sure they're broken in before I start workin' them. If I remember what I read correctly, about 300-350 miles of easy driving due to the electroplating on the rotors. Then it's racin' time!

sd8683
07-25-2008, 09:29 AM
What kind of rotors are those, where did you get them, and if you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay?

Sean

ledzilla
07-25-2008, 09:35 AM
They are Baer Decelarotors, using Hawk HPS pads. The rotors were $239.12 for the pair, the pads $76.25 for the set. I bought them from www.BuyBrakes.com (http://www.BuyBrakes.com). Somewhere along the line I found a $10.00 coupon for the site. I think they also offer free standard shipping, but I went with 2nd day/next day, but got screwed due to a backorder from the factory. They refunded the shipping costs for my rotors, which I though was nice. I still paid the costs for the pads, and got them real fast, but it was kind of pointless since it took more than two weeks to get the rotors anyway.

sd8683
07-25-2008, 09:44 AM
Thanks for the info! I might give those a shot, they look good

Jolly Roger
07-25-2008, 10:27 AM
They are Baer Decelarotors, using Hawk HPS pads. The rotors were $239.12 for the pair, the pads $76.25 for the set. I bought them from www.BuyBrakes.com (http://www.BuyBrakes.com). Somewhere along the line I found a $10.00 coupon for the site. I think they also offer free standard shipping, but I went with 2nd day/next day, but got screwed due to a backorder from the factory. They refunded the shipping costs for my rotors, which I though was nice. I still paid the costs for the pads, and got them real fast, but it was kind of pointless since it took more than two weeks to get the rotors anyway.

What is the warranty on the rotors through BuyBrakes.com?
I ask because i've heard that drilled rotor tend to crack or warp fast.

ledzilla
07-25-2008, 11:29 AM
Here's the warranty from Baer on their Decelarotor rotors:
http://www.baer.com/corporate/warranty/index.php

Here's BuyBrake's warranty policy:
http://www.buybrakes.com/helpdesk/returns.html#q5

So, basically, as I'm set up I'm good for any warpage for the next three years, but I guess I'm screwed if they crack. Hmm...

kartherma
10-28-2008, 04:26 PM
I am curious and looking for an update on those rotors/pads Ledzilla.
Looks like it has been a few months, how do you like them now?

be good!
Curt

ledzilla
10-28-2008, 04:55 PM
Ah, yes. Personally, I found them to be better than what was on the car when I got it. I think they were still the factory rotors, but I'm not sure about the pads. Once I broke it all in, I noticed I some better braking. When I did the fluid flush a couple weeks ago, however, I notice a BIG improvement in braking performance. I'd have to say that I'm happy with my purchase. I'm looking forward to seeing how it all wears during the winter. If I remember, I'll post again when spring rolls around, see how the rotors and pads fared during the cold, salty months.

ledzilla
06-28-2009, 06:39 PM
Well, I'm still happy with my braking performance so far. So I went and purchased a set of the same rotors and pads for the rear. I just finished painting the hubs of the rotors and the plan is to install them on Friday, since I have the day off. I've attached pics of them painted. They're a little dark, but that's because it's all in the shade. Didn't feel like having everything including myself bake while getting it done.

babbage
06-29-2009, 06:36 AM
Not to de-rail BUT command automotive rotors are made in USA, cryo treated. No slots or holes (which reduce grabbing area) just a lifetime warranty and *proven* shorter stopping distances.

They specialize in Panthers, cop cars, crown vics. (Just like our cars)

http://www.commandautomotive.com/

O's Fan Rich
06-29-2009, 08:09 AM
I've had the Power Slot cryo's and Hawk pads for almost 2 years.

No issues.... except I had to triple the brake quiet on the pads to get them to stop squealing.....

ledzilla
06-29-2009, 11:48 AM
Not to de-rail BUT command automotive rotors are made in USA, cryo treated. No slots or holes (which reduce grabbing area) just a lifetime warranty and *proven* shorter stopping distances.

Well, I've already gone and gotten the Baer Decelrotors, so I'll see where they lead me for now. I'll keep this in mind for the future, though.

I've had the Power Slot cryo's and Hawk pads for almost 2 years.

No issues.... except I had to triple the brake quiet on the pads to get them to stop squealing.....

You know, I was looking at those a while back, but I never bought them. Was curious as to how well they work.

Glockafella
06-29-2009, 02:36 PM

Thanks for the link, GOLD I tell ya, GOLD!

babbage
06-29-2009, 04:18 PM
Thanks for the link, GOLD I tell ya, GOLD!

Cool, I realize I got to this thread late but i wanted to make this suggestion.

I got a quote for the REAR rotors . $100 SHIPPED for TWO rotors.

Glockafella
06-29-2009, 08:28 PM
Cool, I realize I got to this thread late but i wanted to make this suggestion.

I got a quote for the REAR rotors . $100 SHIPPED for TWO rotors.

I emailed them regarding fitment and price, no answer yet.

babbage
06-30-2009, 05:24 AM
I emailed them regarding fitment and price, no answer yet.

John is more of a phone guy. Call them up.

Glockafella
06-30-2009, 10:14 AM
John is more of a phone guy. Call them up.

got the email today...$470 bucks for a 4 corners worth of rotors:beer:

Marauderman
06-30-2009, 06:03 PM
After 25K miles on my Baer 14 " brakes, I had the rotors turned yesterday for the first time and re-used my original pads--still have about same thickness as new...........and WOW--these brakes now work as good as new---no more pulsating when braking and you can leave the wheel alone at 90mph and she steers straight as an arrow--no wobble at all-

I took Zack's advice and had my local car shop do the work and they did the job perfect just like he said they would ---

I still have a set of new pads just in case --they're the 98-04 C5 Corvette ones -ceramic-- guess I'll keep them for next time--