PDA

View Full Version : Need Bass - Opinions Wanted

KillJoy
05-26-2008, 05:40 PM
I got a cheapie set of used speakers to put into my Beater (4's up front, 5 1/4 in the rear).

I put bass blockers on them due to their size. I am now in need of some low end.

I had putchased a cheapie powered sub from EBay, and it lived up to my expectations..... poor.

I am now willing to invest up to $200 into a powered subwoofer.

The Bazooka 6.5" (200 watt) is on my list.

Does anyone have any other recomendations?

KillJoy

mherman18
05-26-2008, 06:25 PM
My brothers used to run the bazooka tubes back in the 80's but they were the 10's but powered buy an external amp. I got a 6.5 off ebay and hooked up a small kicker amp to it and was not impressed. They might be better powered by their own amp though. For $200 you can get a sub and amp off ebay.

bigmerc'03
05-26-2008, 08:17 PM
its not that easy if u want it done right it s gonna cost u more than 200 it will neva sound like u expected and will always be poor performance so i suggest u rethink the whole ordeal of things and what u want it to sound like ......do it right the 1st tyme and be done with it

KillJoy
05-27-2008, 04:23 AM
its not that easy if u want it done right it s gonna cost u more than 200 it will neva sound like u expected and will always be poor performance so i suggest u rethink the whole ordeal of things and what u want it to sound like ......do it right the 1st tyme and be done with it

I know how to do it right.

:rolleyes:

KillJoy

Pat
05-27-2008, 04:32 AM
Killjoy,

All I can recommend is put the subwoofer system in the trunk. You only need one driver, and there are pawn shops galore with amps and drivers that are under $200 that should give you the low end for your beater.

BTW won't you need an electronic device to condition the signal between the sub amp and the head unit?

Mine is a Peripheral brand, model P-50. It has a goes-inta's and a goes-outa's, I don't know exactly what it does, the Audion Tech said I needed it. A little green box.

Regards,

magindat
05-27-2008, 05:13 AM
Steve, get a ThunderLink from John. Easy hookup - even takes speaker level. Pricing from John should be WELL under your budget. Rich

http://www.mtx.com/caraudio/products/enclosures/XT110P.cfm

Pops
05-27-2008, 06:14 AM
205.00 for the Thunderlink Steve

KillJoy
05-27-2008, 06:41 AM
Thanks John!!

:up:

KillJoy

GreekGod
05-27-2008, 08:42 AM
That Thunderlink is a great idea! Must be a new item? Never saw one before. How "big" does it sound?

magindat
05-27-2008, 08:49 AM
That Thunderlink is a great idea! Must be a new item? Never saw one before. How "big" does it sound?

Less big than the 10" box I make and more big than the Marauder factory sub. IMO, more bigger than Infiinity BassLink.

It will, however sound more bigger in a hatch back car than in a sedan's trunk.

Marauder install is tricky for optimum results.

GreekGod
05-27-2008, 09:14 AM
Less big than the 10" box I make and more big than the Marauder factory sub. IMO, more bigger than Infiinity BassLink.

It will, however sound more bigger in a hatch back car than in a sedan's trunk.

Marauder install is tricky for optimum results.

That is an excellent value for $205 + !

ctrlraven
05-27-2008, 09:27 AM
I got bass for around $50-60 lol. Have thought about doing something like that but I'd rather go bigger and better, got to do it right.

Pops
05-27-2008, 10:44 AM
They make the same thing with dual 10 inch subs but you woulld have to remove the spare tire.

magindat
05-27-2008, 01:03 PM
That is an excellent value for $205 + !

I think it is, too....

magindat
05-27-2008, 01:05 PM
They make the same thing with dual 10 inch subs but you would have to remove the spare tire.

The install difficulty (for single and dual) factor lies in the notion that is must be 'hung' from the rear deck since it is inadvisable to screw it down and puncture the gas tank.

However, Steve's is for his beater.

Blackened300a
06-21-2008, 05:26 PM
The install difficulty (for single and dual) factor lies in the notion that is must be 'hung' from the rear deck since it is inadvisable to screw it down and puncture the gas tank.

However, Steve's is for his beater.

The install cant be done by hanging the unit off the rear deck due to the rods that cross under there to hold the trunk lid up. I have the Thunderlink unit (Thanks John!) The sound out of this thing is amazing, however.. Its better for a hatchback or a pickup truck. I installed the unit on the deck of the trunk to the left of the spare where it looks and fits best, The only problem is how well sealed the trunk is. I get better bass response with the trunk open then with it closed. The unit itself puts out a lot of power it just doesnt get through to the cabin. I tried several different mounting positions including standing the unit up and laying it on its side. It sounds better then the stock crappy unit but it doesnt deliver its full potential. The install was very simple, Just use the stock wires to the factory amp, Yellow for power, White for ground. and just link off the wires of the rear speakers for signal. It has a automatic trigger so no extra wires are needed. Great unit just not too great for the Marauder application.

CRUZTAKER
06-21-2008, 05:30 PM
I know how to do it right.

:rolleyes:

KillJoy

...and considering the badass system YOU put in your soon to be someone elses Marauder I am surprised you are asking.:P

magindat
06-22-2008, 07:01 AM
The install cant be done by hanging the unit off the rear deck due to the rods that cross under there to hold the trunk lid up. I have. Twice.

I have the Thunderlink unit (Thanks John!) The sound out of this thing is amazing, however.. Its better for a hatchback or a pickup truck. I installed the unit on the deck of the trunk to the left of the spare where it looks and fits best, The only problem is how well sealed the trunk is. I get better bass response with the trunk open then with it closed. The unit itself puts out a lot of power it just doesn't get through to the cabin. This is due to the passive radiator set-up.

I tried several different mounting positions including standing the unit up and laying it on its side. It sounds better then the stock crappy unit but it doesnt deliver its full potential. [quote=Blackened300a;627212] This may be due to where you are getting signal from.[quote=Blackened300a;627212]The install was very simple, Just use the stock wires to the factory amp, Yellow for power, White for ground. and just link off the wires of the rear speakers for signal. It has a automatic trigger so no extra wires are needed. Great unit just not too great for the Marauder application. If you were to use the sub signal from the factory radio contained in the same harness as that power and ground, You'd be set. I recall (on the pigtail to the factory amp) Yellow for power (x2) Red for ground (x2) and then green and black, I believe for signal. IIRC white it the 5V trigger from the deck.

Blackened300a
06-22-2008, 07:07 AM
I have. Twice.

How!! I want ot do that and it looked impossible where the rods passed through. By doing this, does it improve the sound?

magindat
06-23-2008, 04:57 AM
How!! I want ot do that and it looked impossible where the rods passed through. By doing this, does it improve the sound?

Gotta make yourself some stand-offs...

If you do this and change the input signal, it will provide low, solid, cabin shaking (lightly) bass you can feel in your arse. Not loud, but there - solid.

Pops
06-23-2008, 05:47 AM
Gotta make yourself some stand-offs...

If you do this and change the input signal, it will provide low, solid, cabin shaking (lightly) bass you can feel in your arse. Not loud, but there - solid.

As Rich says! It is not to hard to do this Paul.

Blackened300a
06-23-2008, 12:43 PM
As Rich says! It is not to hard to do this Paul.

Its hard for someone who always dropped the car off for stereo equipment to be installed!

What should I pull the input signal off of and what do you guys mean by stand offs?

Pops
06-23-2008, 12:47 PM
Make a spacer so it drops down from the rear deck Paul. Then use the wires that Rich put up the codes for in one of the above posts. Call if you need to 269 637 1994.

John