PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust again.....

89lxbill
08-21-2003, 05:28 PM
My friend who has a Marauder S and no internet :) called Kenny Brown after my recommendation today about replacing the factory 2.25" cat and h-pipe with a 2.5" off-road setup and he said that it would only yield 4hp. I find that a little hard to believe when the same mod done to a blown 4.6L mustang would gain 30+ hp. Any dyno comparisons, opinions, or et's to support any different? He is currently putting 395hp to the rear tires. I still believe there is over 400 in there.

89lxbill
08-22-2003, 06:28 AM
ttt...anybody?

MAD-3R
08-22-2003, 06:38 AM
The Mustang exhaust is alot more restrictive then ours. We have the best breathing car ever put out by ford. Thats why an intake and exhaust are absolut first mods on a stang, but for us, it don't do squat. Sence he is pushing more air, adding headers may help him also.

RF Overlord
08-22-2003, 06:40 AM
I'll give it a shot...

The Marauder already has a low-restriction exhaust...changing it for an N/A car is pointless, except to alter the sound. As far as a blown car, I would have to believe that if Kenny Brown thought changing the exhaust would be worthwhile, they would do it as part of the package, so what your friend was told is probably correct.

IMHO. $0.02 , etc...

GodOSpeed
08-25-2003, 10:07 AM
This is just my opinion on the "low-restriction exhaust" that we have on this car: After being thouroughly dissapointed with the exhaust note from this car I promtly went in search for some musle car bootinanny. While my car was on the lift I talked the grease monkey into letting me start the car when he had cut the mufflers off. (Being a fellow racer it didn't take too much talking) With my eyes wide and my smile big I climbed up the ladder and slid in.. Plams sweating; I was ready for some ground shaking lightbulb popping NOISE!!! Let the fuel rail fill up.. LIGHT THE FIRE!!
And what happens? NOTHING! No ground shaking! No lightbulbs popping!! "Ya shure you cut the right pipes?" I yell. "yup" he returns as I rev it up a little "got to be all them gotdamn cats you got there" he says. Needless to say I threw on a set of glass-packs and went on my merry little way. Sure glad it sounds better under power! As for the cats after 36k they are history!

89lxbill
08-25-2003, 12:13 PM
That was my point. We were talking about eliminating the rear set of cats and installing 2.5" pipe throughout.

MI2QWK4U
08-25-2003, 01:07 PM
I wonder what our cars would sound like without any cats at all? Headers....H or X pipe....mufflers and tips? What consequences would there be with taking off the cats? I dont know...thats why Im asking!

DetGeno
08-25-2003, 01:21 PM
I think cats are only for those emission restricted states. Here in Michigan I think they might be bring it back so we might end up needing them after all.

RF Overlord
08-25-2003, 01:32 PM
I suppose if you live in a state that doesn't currently have emissions inspection, then you CAN remove the cats...I don't want to argue whether you SHOULD remove them morally or environmentally (no, you shouldn't), but if you do, be sure you save them...more states are being required to have emissions inspection or risk losing federal highway funds...

rumble
08-25-2003, 02:05 PM
I was not aware of any states that do not have some type of emission inspection. Just for kicks, has anyone thought about
exhaust cutouts? Not the type that you have to get out of the
car and unhook but some that will bypass the mufflers with a
remote switch. I saw a magazine article about electric stainless
steel one made by (I think) Doug Thorley Headers but I can't
seem to find any thing about it on Googel

TAF
08-25-2003, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by RF Overlord
I don't want to argue whether you SHOULD remove them morally or environmentally (no, you shouldn't)

I AGREE, RF!!! I'm no tree hugger...but, I see how you can cut the air with a knife during the summer in ATL. And we have health alert warnings nearly every day, now that the rain has stopped.

MI2QWK4U
08-25-2003, 02:45 PM
Is there a happy medium between performance and what we have? If I understand correctly, with a blower there will be a need for more air flow. Michigan doesnt have the emission testing anymore, but I would love nothing more than to stay compliant if it can be done without sacrificing too much performance that would negate the attempt to begin with.

SergntMac
08-25-2003, 03:18 PM
I watched this happen to a good friend here, and I got dragged into it too.

Cats are federal territory, the enforcement agency back in 1984 was the Department of Agriculture and the Special Agents, just like Treasury and F.B.I. Same guys who police food stamp fraud, so, don't expect them to have a sense of humor.

A muffler shop owned by a local street racing hero who was cutting cats off, got seized, and the business records examined. The Special Agents visited every customer that had work done at this shop and inspected their cars for cats. No cats, the car was impounded, with a 500 dollar bail. Lucky for me, I was selling the car ('79 Z/28) and I already restored the cats by the time they came to see me.

MI2QWK4U
08-25-2003, 03:38 PM
Is there such a thing as High flow/low resistance aftermarket cats for the marauder, or is that a contradiction.

RF Overlord
08-25-2003, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by MI2QWK4U
Is there such a thing as High flow/low resistance aftermarket cats for the marauder,

Yes, there is... Dennis sells them...

MI2QWK4U
08-25-2003, 03:48 PM
Has anyone put this on their car yet? If so, I would wonder how much improvement and if the setup has 2 or 4 cats.

studio460
08-26-2003, 01:28 AM
Anyone know if Dennis' high-flow cats are OBD-II compliant?

martyo
08-26-2003, 02:35 AM
Originally posted by SergntMac
Cats are federal territory, the enforcement agency back in 1984 was the Department of Agriculture and the Special Agents, just like Treasury and F.B.I. Same guys who police food stamp fraud, so, don't expect them to have a sense of humor.

The Special Agents visited every customer that had work done at this shop and inspected their cars for cats. No cats, the car was impounded, with a 500 dollar bail.

This is like the cheater cable box industry....

Advice of counsel: Don't go there!!

martyo
08-26-2003, 02:38 AM
Originally posted by MI2QWK4U
Has anyone put this on their car yet? If so, I would wonder how much improvement and if the setup has 2 or 4 cats.

The answer is: Two (2).

I got 'em and I like 'em, but I don't have any hard numbers (yet). Dennis posted numbers and they look good; I will be getting new dyno numbers but probably not before Texas.

RF Overlord
08-26-2003, 03:24 AM
Originally posted by martyo
This is like the cheater cable box industry....

You sound as if you have first-hand knowledge of this....hmmmm...
I may have to look up an account when I get to the office today...
maybe dispatch an audit tech...glad I just had my cuttin' pliers sharpened...

martyo
08-26-2003, 05:43 AM
Originally posted by RF Overlord
You sound as if you have first-hand knowledge of this....hmmmm...
I may have to look up an account when I get to the office today...
maybe dispatch an audit tech...glad I just had my cuttin' pliers sharpened...

Nope, not me! For 60 bucks a month of whatever those megopoly cable companies are charging, I would rather avoid a trip to "summer camp." Besides, I am highly allergic to stripped sunlighht! On the other hand, I have bailed out a number of wayward clients....