PDA

View Full Version : t/c expectations??

sd8683
05-27-2008, 03:17 PM
Well I had my tourque converter installed today and I just picked the car up and of course its pooring out in Boston, figures huh, so obviously I didn't get a chance to try launching it, I noticed when I'm driving normal it feels like its bucking when it goes from 1st to 2nd and from 2nd to 3rd, is this normal?? Or should I be worried? I thank you in advance for your valued opinions, Sean

Blackened300a
05-27-2008, 03:49 PM
Well I had my tourque converter installed today and I just picked the car up and of course its pooring out in Boston, figures huh, so obviously I didn't get a chance to try launching it, I noticed when I'm driving normal it feels like its bucking when it goes from 1st to 2nd and from 2nd to 3rd, is this normal?? Or should I be worried? I thank you in advance for your valued opinions, Sean

I never experienced bucking. Are you running a stock tune? Also did you make sure your fluid is full and they used the right fluid?

sd8683
05-27-2008, 04:15 PM
I never experienced bucking. Are you running a stock tune? Also did you make sure your fluid is full and they used the right fluid?

It doesn't buck really bad its just totally differant from what it was prior to the install and yes I have a tune from lidio, and I'm not sure what fluid he used I'm sure he just went with the regular ford fluid? Is there a preferred fluid to use??

Pat
05-27-2008, 04:27 PM
I never experienced any bucking or otherwise and I had a lideo tune with 4:10's at the time. My converter is a PI with a 3500 RPM stall speed.

I was told that it might take a little more throttle to get the car moving and I experienced that, although it really wasn't noticeable, it's just I was looking for it. Otherwise the car performed normally.

The fluid suggestion is a good point.

I would definitly take it back and let them drive it with you in the car too.

Regards,

sd8683
05-27-2008, 06:15 PM
Now I'm officially worried! I'll take it back there tomorrow and have him drive it. Would any of you guys reccomend any specific type of tranny fluid or a heavier weight fluid, thanks, Sean

Local Boy
05-27-2008, 06:25 PM
Mercon V ONLY!!!

What type of T/C did you get???...Stall speed???

Sounds like your T/C lock up shcedule is a miss...assuming your fluid is fine...

Performance T/C's have different lock-up settings...some lock-up at 10% others at 30%...and so forth...

Most performance T/C's lock-up much sooner (earlier...at a lower percentage) than your stock T/C...

Did you modify your shift points on your tune prior to the T/C install???

Sounds like a re-tune is in order...

ALOHA

ctrlraven
05-27-2008, 06:41 PM
Check fluids and if they are fine get an updated tune from Lidio. I went from stock to 3500 and it was locking/unlocking all over the place, went through two tunes to fix it until Zack helped me and got it running really good.

sd8683
05-27-2008, 06:42 PM
Mercon V ONLY!!!

What type of T/C did you get???...Stall speed???

Sounds like your T/C lock up shcedule is a miss...assuming your fluid is fine...

Performance T/C's have different lock-up settings...some lock-up at 10% others at 30%...and so forth...

Most performance T/C's lock-up much sooner (earlier...at a lower percentage) than your stock T/C...

Did you modify your shift points on your tune prior to the T/C install???

Sounds like a re-tune is in order...

ALOHA

It is a PI 2800 stall, and no I didn't adjust the shift points, yeah a retune is probably a good idea, thanks for your help, Sean

Local Boy
05-27-2008, 08:23 PM
That would explain it Sean...

The low stall speed in the PI...means the T/C is locking much earlier than your stock one, and probably clashing with the shift points...

Good Luck...

ALOHA

sd8683
05-27-2008, 08:28 PM

The low stall speed in the PI...means the T/C is locking much earlier than your stock one, and probably clashing with the shift points...

Good Luck...

ALOHA

What would you suggest for a remedy, I'm totally clueless, thanks, Sean

Local Boy
05-27-2008, 08:44 PM
Since you can not adjust the lock up schedule from your tuner...

The only way is to find a SCT dealer/tuner around you and have them adjust the lock-up schedule to your liking...

Most would recommend that you keep the T/C un-locked in 1st and 2nd gears...and have it lock in 3rd gear, somewhere between 45 - 50 MPH, at part throttle..

Good Luck, Sean...

ALOHA

BTW: You can try moving your shift points higher with your tuner, and see if it helps... until you can get to the tuner...

sd8683
05-28-2008, 02:47 AM
Since you can not adjust the lock up schedule from your tuner...

The only way is to find a SCT dealer/tuner around you and have them adjust the lock-up schedule to your liking...

Most would recommend that you keep the T/C un-locked in 1st and 2nd gears...and have it lock in 3rd gear, somewhere between 45 - 50 MPH, at part throttle..

Good Luck, Sean...

ALOHA

BTW: You can try moving your shift points higher with your tuner, and see if it helps... until you can get to the tuner...

Thanks local boy

Zack
05-28-2008, 05:51 AM
It is a PI 2800 stall, and no I didn't adjust the shift points, yeah a retune is probably a good idea, thanks for your help, Sean

You wasted your money, the stock stall is around 2400

Good Luck...

ALOHA

Nope, stall speed has nothing to do with shifting. It affects stall speed, hence the name.

sd8683
05-28-2008, 06:53 AM
You wasted your money, the stock stall is around 2400

Nope, stall speed has nothing to do with shifting. It affects stall speed, hence the name.

Well what do you suggest, would a retune fix it? I got a great deal on the PI 2800 stall that's why I got it.

Glenn
05-28-2008, 08:15 AM
I needed a retune with my PI3500 to correct the TC locking and unlocking. But, honestly you should have followed the net's information and only used a PI3500. As Zack stated a 2800 is not going to do much for you.

Glenn :burnout:

ctrlraven
05-28-2008, 08:55 AM
From reading lots of articles the higher the stall the shorter the gear. Case in point I dropped .47 of my ET going from effective 3.50 gear to 3.89/3.90 when I went from street tires to smaller drag radials. Going from stock to 3500 made no difference in daily driving unless I got on it from a dead stop otherwise everything felt the same.

Raudermaster
05-28-2008, 12:15 PM
Yea Sean why did you go with that? I thought you were going to get a 3k/3500. Not worth it IMO.

Local Boy
05-28-2008, 05:48 PM
Hey Sean, I won't fault you for your choice. You got what you wanted...Your PI will work much better than your stocker...+ I believe PI offers a free stall change for all it's customers, if you decide to go higher...

Thanks Zack...I understand the difference between the two (stall/shift)...

My point is that it is possible that the T/C may be locking just before the trans is shifting into 2nd..., which would then un-lock when shifted into 2nd..., then lock again while still in 2nd... Hence, the "bucking" ...

If this IS the case...A re-tune will fix you right up, Brutha...

Good Luck...

ALOHA

sd8683
05-28-2008, 06:32 PM
Hey Sean, I won't fault you for your choice. You got what you wanted...Your PI will work much better than your stocker...+ I believe PI offers a free stall change for all it's customers, if you decide to go higher...

Thanks Zack...I understand the difference between the two (stall/shift)...

My point is that it is possible that the T/C may be locking just before the trans is shifting into 2nd..., which would then un-lock when shifted into 2nd..., then lock again while still in 2nd... Hence, the "bucking" ...

If this IS the case...A re-tune will fix you right up, Brutha...

Good Luck...

ALOHA

Thank you local boy, I was unaware that PI will adjust the stall, that is very good to know, and I'm crossing my fingers that the retune will work, I'm gonna try to get an appointment at the beginning of next week to get it all straitened out

fastblackmerc
05-28-2008, 06:40 PM
Thank you local boy, I was unaware that PI will adjust the stall, that is very good to know, and I'm crossing my fingers that the retune will work, I'm gonna try to get an appointment at the beginning of next week to get it all straitened out

PI will only adjust the stall once to the original purchaser. If you got it from someone else you'd be outta luck.......

sd8683
05-28-2008, 06:47 PM
PI will only adjust the stall once to the original purchaser. If you got it from someone else you'd be outta luck.......

Well I guess I'm out of luck! Crap!

Local Boy
05-28-2008, 07:01 PM
Dayum...Sean...

I thought you bought it...

The fee for a re-stall should not be too much though...If you still want more...or ask the brutha you bought it from, to send it in for you!!!

If not...No worries..a re-tune should fix you right up...

Good Luck...

ALOHA

Zack
05-28-2008, 07:44 PM
Call PI and give them the serial # on the converter.
If it is less than two years old, they will re-stall it, regardless of the owner.

sd8683
05-29-2008, 04:40 PM
Thanks zack I will call them in the morning, now I am worried, I think the tranny is the issue, I flashed the tune back to stock and the problem still occurs, I guess its time to go to the dealership, p.s does anyone think I will have an issue at the dealer due to the t/c being aftermarket?
Thanks, Sean

Raudermaster
05-29-2008, 04:50 PM
If you flashed it back to stock, the problem would still be there because the T/C is not the original, hence it will still be confused. Like Randy, Chris and Zack said, get a re-tune and it should be solved.

gmtech
05-29-2008, 06:50 PM
please make sure they used mercon V fluid only,preferbly motorcraft.....if you have a Lidio tune the lockup schedule should not be a problem since he doesnt lock-up the convertor in any gear except 4th and only above 63mph, unless you specifically opted for something different

RF Overlord
05-30-2008, 12:36 PM
p.s does anyone think I will have an issue at the dealer due to the t/c being aftermarket?Yes, you WILL most likely have an issue going to the dealer, unless that dealer is VERY familiar with high-performance cars or was an SVT dealer. Most dealers will not even touch it if you've installed an aftermarket TC and will simply blame it for everything, after charging you a hefty diagnostic fee.

please make sure they used mercon V fluid only,^^^what gmtech said^^^...no plain Mercon with a tube of miracle-in-a-can additive to "make" it into MV.

...and no B&M TrickShift, either. ;)

magindat
05-30-2008, 01:01 PM
It's still not a waste.

The torque multiplier is higher than stock for a PI.

I like my Redline ATF. It's rated Mercon V.

A Lidio tune will get it for you due to the way he schedules lock-up. It will, however burn more fuel in town.

Dennis's current trans schedule is quite nice, but goes in 4th quick to save fuel. Obviously, though, you could ride around town with OD off to avoid that.