PDA

View Full Version : T C question

PSG
05-28-2008, 08:37 PM
i'm building a new trans now, i m looking to order the converter this week, but i was curious if anyone has had any issues with the trans running hot on regular driving conditions with the 3500 stall?

Local Boy
05-28-2008, 08:42 PM
No heat issues here...But, I do have a second trans cooler...

ALOHA

ctrlraven
05-29-2008, 06:16 AM
If you get a PI converter it will be the same size (doesn't matter stall speed) 9.5" compared to stock 11.5" (I believe). The newer converter will be small and will spin faster creating more heat. Def get a second trans cooler, don't just replace your stock one, keep it and add another one in-line.

I have a 3500 stall, the only thing you want to make sure is to get an updated tune for lockup/unlocking schedule for the converter if your going to race it. Otherwise it will not affect NORMAL easy driving, but when you want it to kick and go it's going to be acting weird. I had a problem with mine for awhile until I got a retune and totally changed how it hauled down the road.

The only other thing I can also mention is higher the stall shorter the gear you want to go. I have 3.55 gears (effective 3.50 gears with street tires) and I know it causes a slight hiccup (unlock/lock up of the converter) and when I went to the track with some smaller drag radials (effective 3.90 gear with the drs) the hiccup was gone and car shot down the track. I was going to go with 4.10s but I think 3.90s will be the best route for me since I daily drive my car.

Also get a deep trans pan if you don't have one already so you can change 4-5 qts of the fluid every now and then. That's what I have been doing since I haven't gotten a 2nd trans cooler yet.