PDA

View Full Version : Custom made 3.5" STEEL driveshaft, including slip yoke and U joints, 1400 lbft. capab

Stranger in the Black Sedan
05-29-2008, 02:33 PM
I have a custom made 3.5" 0.065" wall STEEL driveshaft that I had made for my Marauder, for sale. It has about 100 miles on it and is flawless. It includes a new slip yoke (right there that is worth over $100, it is a real deal OEM yoke with the harmonic balancer on it), new US made sealed u joints, and also includes the swivel yoke on the tail end.

Shaft was spin balanced at 4000 rpms (much higher than most driveline shops are capable of spinning) per my request, to ensure smooth operation over 100 mph.

The shaft was built by Driveline Services in Lorton, VA, for a cost of over $250. This shaft is rated for over 1400 ft lbs. It is many times stronger than an aluminum shaft. It would be excellent for a purpose built drag car, or for someone looking for a much stronger than stock shaft, who does not want to step up to an $800+ composite shaft. Yes this steel shaft is heavy, but it is extremely strong, and you know you aren't going to have to worry about it.

The shaft is painted cast aluminum color to look stock. It has been stored inside and the slip yoke was greased to prevent corrosion.

Why did I have this shaft made and not use it, you ask? I was trying to eliminate driveline noise being transmitted by the stock shaft, and I was getting desperate, after going through several sets of gears. Surprise, the stiffer, heavier steel shaft was not going to solve the minor gear whine that is most likely due to imperfections in how my rear end housing is machined. I am very good at wasting money replacing random parts.

Soooooooooooo...

$150 plus shipping takes this monstrosity. Shipping will actually not be that bad through FedEx ground. Even though it is comparitively heavier than the OEM aluminum shaft, it's still not heavy as far as shipping goes. I can weigh it and/or send you pictures if you are interested. Price is firm. For any less I will just take the slip yoke and keep it as a backup, because the $70 aftermarket dana/spicer yokes do not have the very important harmonic balancer included, and who knows when I will need a yoke in the future.