PDA

View Full Version : I did it again.

Aren Jay
05-31-2008, 05:52 PM
I was driving along at, ~40 mph, and I turned off Over drive. I hit WOT and expected to cruise up to my 62mph speed limit for the road in a very short time. Only that didn't happen, the car hit 50 mph and then just died. Engine reved, I checked traction control and nothing was on, It just wouldn't go past 50 mph. Made some funny reving sounds, I back off immediately, and floored it again and again nothing but more reving after a couple 2 seconds I backed off completely. Turned overdrive back on and brought it back up to 62 mph (speedlimit is 100 kph or 62.5 mph). I then turned over drive off and blasted up to 75 mph a couple times with no problem. Then clicked over drive back on and drove the rest of the way at 62 mph.

It doesn't seem to like the 30 -40 mph WOT it dies everytime I get to 50 mph.

Is it just my stock tune?

It is a bigger problem?

Suggestions?

Local Boy
05-31-2008, 07:08 PM
Are you running same sized tires front and back???

ALOHA

Bluerauder
06-01-2008, 05:45 AM
Is it a bigger problem?

Suggestions?
Why would you even go to WOT to bring it from 40 to 62 MPH ??? :rolleyes:

I think the biggest problem is with the driver.

Suggestions -- get yourself a nice used Toyota Corolla ... the Marauder is way too much car for you. :P

jimlam56
06-01-2008, 06:43 AM

Suggestions -- get yourself a nice used Toyota Corolla ... the Marauder is way too much car for you. :P

I know!
Let's start a POLL!!!:rolleyes:

Blackened300a
06-01-2008, 06:52 AM
I can go from 40-62 with just a slight squeeze of the pedal, If I went WOT, 62mph would come and go and before I knew it and I would end up doing 80.

Toyota tercel for you sir.

offroadkarter
06-01-2008, 08:45 PM
Toyota tercel for you sir.

:lol:

Evasfunk
06-01-2008, 09:33 PM
Give the guy a break...i go WOT sometimes when merging onto the 400 series highway....but im usually going from 70-120kph

Aren Jay
06-02-2008, 09:29 AM
Are you running same sized tires front and back???

ALOHA

no

Snow tires, as it still snows up to the first week in June up here but I will be switching soon to summer tires.

225/70/16 rear
215/65/16 front.

traction control light did not come on.

Joe Walsh
06-02-2008, 09:48 AM
I had that happen ONCE in my Marauder and it scared the crap out of me...

I was going @ 40mph and hammered it without turning off the OD first...
The transmission downshifted, the engine was immediately at redline, and the transmission seemed caught between gears.
I backed off the throttle and the tranny 'caught' the next gear, then everything worked fine.
I believe that it is called 'flare' when the transmission does this and it is NOT a good thing.
DO NOT go from OD to a full WOT downshift...turn off the OD first, THEN hammer it.

cyclopsram
06-02-2008, 10:08 AM
I think in my 1000000 (dat's a million) miles in Panthers, I have only gone WOT once, and that was an emergency passing situation on a two lane highway. Always have used a slow steady pressure on go pedal until desired speed was reached. The desire to downshift and impress the teeny boppers was never a isssue to me... By the way, Ford says to leave overdrive engaged in pursuit to avoid overheating and overreving the engine. police interceptors are governed at two different speeds, 119 and 129 I believe, depending on rear gears. Being tough on any component cuts its life remarkedly, brakes, trannys, tires, shift linkages, slamming doors, and all the other macho stuff is not good for anything mechanical... ok to flame, but I will not respond cuz I don't want my BP up for the chemotherapy later.

Bigdogjim
06-02-2008, 10:35 AM

Let's start a poll:)

Bigdogjim
06-02-2008, 10:36 AM
Give the guy a break...i go WOT sometimes when merging onto the 400 series highway....but im usually going from 70-120kph

Have you read some or most of his posts? Trust me I am giving the guy a break:rolleyes:

Bigdogjim
06-02-2008, 10:40 AM
I was driving along at, ~40 mph, and I turned off Over drive. I hit WOT and expected to cruise up to my 62mph speed limit for the road in a very short time. Only that didn't happen, the car hit 50 mph and then just died. Engine reved,(This tell me you have a tranmission problem, makes no sense to me) I checked traction control and nothing was on, It just wouldn't go past 50 mph. Made some funny reving sounds,How high were the RPM's I back off immediately, and floored it again and again nothing but more reving(Are you sure the shifter was in gear??) after a couple 2 seconds I backed off completely. Turned overdrive back on and brought it back up to 62 mph (speedlimit is 100 kph or 62.5 mph). I then turned over drive off and blasted up to 75 mph a couple times with no problem. Then clicked over drive back on and drove the rest of the way at 62 mph.

It doesn't seem to like the 30 -40 mph WOT it dies everytime I get to 50 mph.

Is it just my stock tune?

It is a bigger problem?

Suggestions?

Let us know what the outcome was/is..........................

Stranger in the Black Sedan
06-02-2008, 07:46 PM
Never going WOT in a panther. LOL. The CVPI's are 16 second cars too.