PDA

View Full Version : First Dyno

Canadasvt
06-01-2008, 12:39 PM
I just had my MM on the dyno for the first time yesterday. With SCT by Lidio, 4:10, and K&N FAI she showed a best of 265hp. Meanwhile, the car right before me was a friends '03 MM with only the K&N FAI and he did a best of 270hp!

Anyone have any suggestions? I'm feeling kinda stupid today :o

Thanks.

Pat
06-01-2008, 12:50 PM
Well, I really feel bad, with the same mod's mine did only 245 RWHP. That was before supercharging of course, now it's like 425. What a difference a day makes.

Regards,

ImpalaSlayer
06-01-2008, 12:54 PM
mine made 261 with tune and cai. guess your friends just has a slightly stonger motor

Canadasvt
06-01-2008, 01:12 PM
My friend = lucky b@#%rd!

Thanks guys for helping me feel a little better and less bitter.

Am I right in calculating my crank power at 311hp with 15% loss to rear wheels and 378hp (ha) with 30% lost?

Dennis Reinhart
06-01-2008, 01:39 PM
I just had my MM on the dyno for the first time yesterday. With SCT by Lidio, 4:10, and K&N FAI she showed a best of 265hp. Meanwhile, the car right before me was a friends '03 MM with only the K&N FAI and he did a best of 270hp!

Anyone have any suggestions? I'm feeling kinda stupid today :o

Thanks.

what was your AF

Canadasvt
06-01-2008, 04:30 PM
what was your AF

AF :confused: Here is the info I have...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v285/Canadasvt/DSC04125.jpg

RF Overlord
06-02-2008, 04:36 AM
A/F = Air/Fuel ratio...leaner makes more power (to a point), but invites detonation. It's a balancing act...

When The Blackbird was N/A, I got a best of 259HP and 289TQ, with a tune and some minor mods. I think your numbers are well within reason, but I'm highly suspicious of your friend...he HAS to have more than just a K&N to make 270HP... :dunno:

I think the commonly accepted number for drivetrain loss is 20%.

Also, the rear gear ratio doesn't change the amount of power you make.

Canadasvt
06-02-2008, 05:07 AM
Thanks for the info guys.

I don't know what the AF was, it was a bunch of us from the SVT club that did a group dyno day for cheap just to see what #'s we had.

I'm thinking my bud just got lucky and his MM was assembled with one of those special engines that are somehow better than most.

Thanks.

magindat
06-02-2008, 11:59 AM
I'm thinking my bud just got lucky and his MM was assembled with one of those special engines that are somehow better than most.

I believe and will preach for all who will hear that such diffrences are the result of break-in. If the car was broken in HARD it will make MORE power than a car that was 'babied' on break in.

Mine will always be a bit of an underdog. The original owner was an old, and sick man who barely drove it for the first 5K. I'm sure it NEVER saw WOT until it was on it's way to it's present home. I'm always a few HP behind those whom I know to have been the original owner and beat the livin crap out of the car from minute one.

I learned such a notion from the motorcycle/ATV industry. I broke in my 3 Suzuki's like I was literally trying to break them. My 400 could easily out-pull 700's on the trail. It pulled out more than a few full size trucks all by itself.

The Suzuki expereince and the gathering of anecdotal evidence here makes me a believer in HARD break-in.

Your numbers, however, are VERY respectable and 5HP is NOTHING. 10 degrees of temp change and/or a few percent humidity can make that much difference.

Canadasvt
06-02-2008, 12:13 PM
I believe and will preach for all who will hear that such diffrences are the result of break-in. If the car was broken in HARD it will make MORE power than a car that was 'babied' on break in.

Your numbers, however, are VERY respectable and 5HP is NOTHING. 10 degrees of temp change and/or a few percent humidity can make that much difference.

Thanks for the encouragement.
Like you I've always believed I get more power from any motor the harder I push it on a regular basis.

Unfortunately I'm the original owner and I beat on her most chances I get, with WOT on average 5-10 times a week. But my bud cruises normally all the time and never beats on it. He looked scared silly when the MM was reving over 5500 on the dyno!

magindat
06-02-2008, 12:17 PM
Thanks for the encouragement.
Like you I've always believed I get more power from any motor the harder I push it on a regular basis.

Unfortunately I'm the original owner and I beat on her most chances I get, with WOT on average 5-10 times a week. But my bud cruises normally all the time and never beats on it. He looked scared silly when the MM was reving over 5500 on the dyno!

I say, it's not the daily, but the original break-in. Still 5HP is nothing.

You'll still kick his arse in a head's up race with your 4.10's.