PDA

View Full Version : How long can you store Race fuel?

Blackmobile
06-02-2008, 07:46 AM
With the price of fuel lately I was thinking of filling my 5 gal. container with race fuel and put it away until the season starts. I figure the price of race fuel by then will be down right disgusting at best. This is only my way of easing my first session at the track for the season. You never know when you'll get a call to arms by some other members to come out to the track to show up a Chevy or two.

magindat
06-02-2008, 09:42 AM
The MSDS lists it as 'stable' and lists it as non-polymerizing (means it won't shelac).

Also lists it as Class 1A storage, which means metal sealed drum if over 2.6 gallons.

Usually race fuel comes in a 5 gallon drum, so storage in it's original selaed container should not degrade.

Vortech347
06-02-2008, 01:43 PM
What "fuel" are you talking about? C16? Leaded? unleaded?

The race gas I usually use is just simple 100 octane unleaded. After about 3 months of it sitting I don't trust it to be at full. Even just 91' sitting in my stangs tank for 3 months then driving the car the fuel was horrible and the car detonated like crazy untill I put fresh fuel in.

mpearce
06-02-2008, 01:59 PM
I stored my 100 unleaded race fuel in a 5 gallon jug from VP Racing. It's pretty thick solid blue opaque plastic. I had the top screwed on tight, and I covered it up with a blanket in the corner my garage all winter. November-April. No issues. I was told by a race gas dealer around here, that if you let the sun get to it, in a clear or white plastic jug...it'll go bad much faster, and you run the risk of condensation.

-Mat

magindat
06-03-2008, 04:58 AM
From what I understand race gas is less gas and more toluene the higher the octane. Gas 'goes bad' by the molecules linking together to form longer chains. A little (and I mean little) acetone in the gas helps this to not happen. I would expect less polymerizing as the aromatic content increases. but hey, I'm no chemist, either!!!

Blackmobile
06-03-2008, 05:14 AM
From what I understand race gas is less gas and more toluene the higher the octane. Gas 'goes bad' by the molecules linking together to form longer chains. A little (and I mean little) acetone in the gas helps this to not happen. I would expect less polymerizing as the aromatic content increases. but hey, I'm no chemist, either!!!

Could have fooled me.:D

Marauderjack
06-03-2008, 03:08 PM

Rich,

Longer chain (larger) molecules burn slower thus having a higher octane rating and greater protection against detonation so I don't think polymerization is the problem with storage.....but I have been wrong before??:rolleyes:

Xylene and Toluene will be stable for longer times than commercial 91-93 octane but to be sure I would contact the race gas producer to find out about long term storage problems and octane degradation.......before a motor goes POOF!!!:help:

Marauderjack;)

magindat
06-03-2008, 04:46 PM
Rich,

Longer chain (larger) molecules burn slower thus having a higher octane rating and greater protection against detonation so I don't think polymerization is the problem with storage.....but I have been wrong before??:rolleyes:

Xylene and Toluene will be stable for longer times than commercial 91-93 octane but to be sure I would contact the race gas producer to find out about long term storage problems and octane degradation.......before a motor goes POOF!!!:help:

Marauderjack;)

I think the problem with polymerization is not the octane, but the refusal of the fuel to 'atomize' when sprayed due to higher surface tension.

Cobra25
06-03-2008, 06:09 PM
If you would like your questions answered , Then I would call VP Racing Fuels in Fort Lauderdale 954-565-7670. Just an Idea to help out.

1stMerc
06-03-2008, 06:10 PM
Would Sta-Bil help it retain it's potency?

magindat
06-04-2008, 04:58 AM
If you would like your questions answered , Then I would call VP Racing Fuels in Fort Lauderdale 954-565-7670. Just an Idea to help out.
And a good one!

I went to Torco's website to get info.

magindat
06-04-2008, 05:00 AM
Would Sta-Bil help it retain it's potency?

Sta-bil is to help prevent gas from shelac-ing. Resists polymerization.

2-3 ounces in 10 gallons of gas of acetone does the same thing as Sta-bil.*

*has for me for years with lawn tractors and ATV's.