PDA

View Full Version : Random Thoughts from my visit to Vancouver/Whistler

Professor
06-02-2008, 01:15 PM
1) Canadian are just about the nicest people I have ever met. Doesn't matter where you meet them ... in the park, at a show, in a shop, in a restaurant ... they are friendly and great conversationalists. The sad part is that I doubt American's return the favor to Canadian tourists. I can't imagine someone saying ... "Oh, so you're visiting from Canada. Well ... you have a lovely family. Welcome to New York and enjoy your stay!"

2) Vancouver and Whistler are the most scenic places I have ever been to. Breathtaking views everywhere you look. I thought I was going to wear out the shutter button on my digital camera.

3) Despite the ridiculous traffic in Vancouver the locals are patient and keep their cool. I nearly drove my rental 4-Runner over a guy in a Prius. He drove up to the next stop light, rolled down his window (I prepared to apologize profusely for not seeing the guy in my blind spot.). He said, "Whew, that was a close one, eh?" I apologized and he smiled and said "No problem." Where's the road rage?

4) The Sea to Sky Highway from Vancouver to Whistler is under construction for the Olympics, keeping you on your toes. But the views were spectacular. Stops at Shannon Falls, Brandywine Falls and Tantalus point were awesome!!

5) The Vancouver Aquarium is a bit overrated (spoiled by Sea World?), but Stanley Park is an excellent stop overall.

6) Food was good but grossly overpriced. Granville Island seemed overrated. Steaks are top notch in Canada, but the seafood was disappointing. Having salmon, prawns and cod does not constitute a well rounded seafood menu. Whether a 5-star restaurant or fast food, you can eat better for less in the U.S.

7) Gas prices :eek:. Good thing they price it by the liter, or else people would pass out from sticker shock. No wonder the Taxi's are all Corollas and Priuses. I've also never seen so many Smart Cars in my life.

8) Clothing is WAY overpriced. I met some Canadians in Nashville a couple of years ago and they said they came to the US to shop for clothes. Now I know why. I saw a woman's cashmere sweater for $2500!! Cashmere is plush ... but not that plush.

9) I've never seen so much green tinted glass as you see in the Vancouver skyline.

10) Whistler is scenic and pleasant. It's a bit touristy for my taste (think Orlando or Gatlinburg with FAR better scenery.) Food and shops are overpriced, but fun. People are great.

11) Don't know what's in the water over there, but some of the Canadian women were simply stunning. They make Shania Twain, Avril Lavigne and Alanis Morissette look like hags.

12) I was a little disappointed with how Americanized the media was. Despite being very rich in their own culture, Canadian media is very much an adaptation of American culture. US television predominates (from the Seattle area) and even Canadian news is dominated by US News. I wanted to turn on the news and hear about important events in Canada and wanted to turn on the radio and hear Canadian music. The radio sounds no different than radio in Seattle.

13) Not everyone drives a Prius. I saw some pristine American muscle during my visit including a 65 GTO, 66 Chevelle, 69 Chevelle, 68 Cougar and a 70 Mustang. What was cool is that all of the cars were drivers running around town.

14) Black squirrels!!!! Yeah I know ... big deal. I've seen grey squirrels all over the south and white squirrels in Tennessee and Kentucky, but I'd never seen black squirrels.

15) Timberwolves!! Bears!! Bald Eagles!! Canadian Geese!! .... but no Mooses (Meese?)

16) Bikinis at 60 degrees!! People at the beach and swimming .... 60 DEGREES!! In Florida, they close down the schools when it drops below 60.

17) The big terrible crime in Vancouver is car theft. Not actual theft of the car, but the theft of valuables out of the car (i.e., smash and grab). Must be nice.

18) My blue eyed - blonde haired 18 month old son was a celebrity among the Asian population. Everytime we walked down the street, went to a park or other public place, the Asians would ask to take their picture with him (and they would swap cameras and take each others pictures with him). I thought about putting a sign on him and charging a fee after a while. Anyway, it was a bizarre phenomenon.

19) Boy ... the US dollar is a wuss compared to Canadian currency right now. :(

20) Ultimately, we packed Stanley Park, Vancouver Acquarium, Shannon Falls, Brandywine Falls, Whistler-Blackcomb, Vancouver Art Gallery, Robson Street, Granville Island and Grouse Mountain all into a single week. Not bad for having two young kids in tow at all times.

As for Canadian hospitality .... :bows:

Dr Caleb
06-02-2008, 02:42 PM
Sounds like you had a great starter experience ;) Next time, we can show you the better places to visit.

Van is a nice place, but Jasper kicks ass if you want to see wildlife (Bears, Caribou, Mountain Sheep and goats). The view from the top of Marmot Mountain is stunning as well. Or the Cabot Trail on the East coast. . . and a million places in between!

Taemian
06-02-2008, 11:08 PM
Glad to see you enjoyed yourself! Everything is so expensive because of the dollar's high exchange. Had you been here anytime before the previous 2 years, you would have been a rich man. The Canadian dollar was .67 of the US, so everything was 33% cheaper for you back then!

You must have shopped at Holt-renfrew. Stupid prices. The Asians here just BLOW their money, the high pricetags are literally a status symbol. Morons.

As for seafood, you missed out on all the asian cuisine. The sushi et all is some of the best around.

I told everyone here in Vancouver that another Silver Birch w/flint Int owner was coming, and to treat you nice. Glad they listened!:D

How did you find the beer? :beer:

freakstatus
06-03-2008, 07:20 AM
Glad to hear you had fun in our neck of the woods! No road rage though? Where were you driving? I've actually never seen a white squirrel, they're mostly grey, brown and black around here..... Vancouver has an aquarium? My neighbours fishtank is more interesting I think. Haha.