PDA

View Full Version : JLT was the icing on my Marauder cake!

Professor
06-10-2008, 01:38 PM
So ... I put a Lidio tune in the Merc. The shifting improved. The Merc was better behaved and definitely had an increase in the seat of the pants pick-up. The car now shifted at about 6100-6200 very firmly (but no tire chirp). Next was Ford Racing 4.10 gears installed by Big Wood racing. The gears really put the Lidio tune to work, with a nice tire chirp about 50% of the time and still a strong pull to 6200 RPM.

So today, I opened my JLT box and began the install. First off ... I ordered mine in Silver Birch and it looked sweet!! I'm a bit anal, so I took my time. It was installed in an hour (that was me taking my sweet time and installing everything just the way I wanted). The kit was great (the only glitch was that the PVC hose didn't work (I.D. was much to large ... even with clamps and the hose was about 2 inches too short). No big ... a quick trip to Advance Auto and I had my PVC hose hooked up. So ... the kit looks awesome installed and I couldn't wait to take her for a spin ....

Took her out for a spin on some back country roads to open her up. I did several runs (in triple digit heat ... so I know she can pull even harder). First off ... the JLT sounds freakin's awesome!!! It sounds like the dual quad secondary's opening up on my Dad's old Hemi Satellite. What a great ... old school muscle car sound!!! But there's more .... each run brought a very satisfying chirp/spin in the first/second shift. Plus ... for reasons I don't fully understand, she pulls to 6400-6500 before the shift. I changed nothing else ... so I'm not sure why, but it feels right and sounds even better.

The real downside to the JLT is that now I want to hit the pedal all the time just to hear that SOUND! (So much for gas prices changing my driving habits.)

I highly recommend the JLT CAI kit ... it's a must have!!

Professor
06-10-2008, 01:41 PM
A quick clarification ... I just re-read the directions. The hose glitch may have been my fault. I think I was supposed to hook the enclosed PVC hose to the stock hose (which has a plastic coupling) which would have took care of both the length and the adapter issue. My improvised set-up works and looks great, but it wasn't necessary to make the kit work (at least I don't think it was). Anyway ... didn't want to mislead anyone due to my own ignorance.

Tucker
06-10-2008, 01:46 PM
You beat me to it on the hose install. It connects to the end in your stock boot.
Glad you saw that, but also glad your happy.

Thanks for the feedback and have fun with that big monster.

Jay

DOOM
06-10-2008, 02:07 PM
Enjoy the ride bro.

fastblackmerc
06-10-2008, 02:09 PM
WTG!!! Glad you got it installed. One of the best mods to do to a Marauder.

WPG_Merc
06-10-2008, 02:37 PM
Good to hear about the install & test run.
I'm planning to put in The JTL & the other stuff in soon too.
Just wanted to read what other's had to say on the JTL Ram Air.
:up:

:canada:

usabodyguard
06-10-2008, 03:06 PM
I have only driven the marauder once, last Sat on a quick 10 minute test drive in heavy traffic... With check in hand I pick up my new 03 MM tomorrow night...

BUT - I already ordered the following which will be here thur/fri

JLT - CAI
DR Tune xcal2
Proguard
NAPA Ceramic brakes
HIDs top & fogs 8000k
5% tint all except windshield
Viper Alarm

cant wait to hear how it sounds with the JLT...

bigbillybbs
06-10-2008, 03:07 PM
Yes I must agree Professor
The JLT is the sprinkles that are on top of the Icing that are on the Ice Cream Sunday….!
The sound is JUST SO Mean sounding.
I let my dad drive the beast to the airport a few weeks ago to pick up some family member. He called me at the airport and asked what recent mods I did because "the engine sounds WICKED AWSOME…” It made my day…! Love the JLT Enjoy it..! :D

bigbillybbs
06-10-2008, 03:11 PM
I have only driven the marauder once, last Sat on a quick 10 minute test drive in heavy traffic... With check in hand I pick up my new 03 MM tomorrow night...

BUT - I already ordered the following which will be here thur/fri

JLT - CAI
DR Tune xcal2
Proguard
NAPA Ceramic brakes
HIDs top & fogs 8000k
5% tint all except windshield
Viper Alarm

cant wait to hear how it sounds with the JLT...

NICE LIST... The JLT Sounds so GOOOOOOOOOD>>>>.....!
I love my car :beer:

Tucker
06-11-2008, 05:12 AM
Thanks guys.

Oh, WPG it's "JLT"
:)

Jay

Professor
06-11-2008, 05:34 AM
Jay ... Thanks for a top notch product at a steal of a price.

For the fellas who haven't done this mod yet .... what are you waiting for?? The sound alone is worth every penny.

BTW ... Jay, my car now pulls harder to a slightly higher shift point (was shifting at around 6200 with the Lidio tune and is now pulling to 6400/6500 before shifting. My theory is that the JLT helps the car breathe so well that it revs faster and harder (before the computer can tell it to shift). Anyway, the result is a fire breathing pull through first gear and a tire squealing shift. Have you heard of similar results?

dreydin
06-11-2008, 08:37 AM
dang i need to get one of these O_O

WPG_Merc
06-12-2008, 12:19 PM
"OOP's" MY BAD on spelling :rolleyes:

I'm installing the JLT this weekend with the intake spacer & Granatelli coil conectors.
The other stuff will be installed by the end of June.

:burnout:

:canada:

DJCV
06-12-2008, 02:16 PM
Please help a novice understand....
I have a modestly modified 2004 CV LX Sport, including a MM Airbox and MAF with a custom X-Cal 2 tune. Will removing the MM Airbox and adding this JLT increase my power position, or have I done all I can do with my CV set-up?

offroadkarter
06-13-2008, 01:20 AM
Congrats on the JLT, i put mine in on January and it still looks and sounds great.

I guess he changed the PCV hose, mine i had to trim back to fit. Was one long heater hose.

Just make sure it doesn't rub a hole in the hood liner, mine has, and it took me ages to figure out how to get the heat shield on in some form.

Got any pics of it installed?

MM03MOK
06-13-2008, 03:44 AM
So today, I opened my JLT box and began the install. First off ... I ordered mine in Silver Birch and it looked sweet!! You'll have to post a picture! :congrats:

dohc324ci
06-23-2008, 09:44 PM
Its threads like these that made me purchase the xcal and JLT! Two of the best bang for the buck mods period. Like he said the sound is so addicting you have to do it over and over and over! WOT has never been so fun!

dohc324ci
06-25-2008, 11:21 PM
Had a chance to run the JLT for a couple days now and all I can say is wow. The motor feels and pulls stronger with a mean thoatier muscle car sound.

Tucker
06-26-2008, 01:30 PM
Thanks for the kind words

:)
Jay

OldFashRed
06-29-2008, 06:07 PM
If I did not get the sound everyone talks about when the CAI from JLT was installed....what did I do wrong?

I am talking about OD off and pounding from 55 to 100mph.

fastblackmerc
06-29-2008, 06:11 PM
It's the "whoooooosh" sound of the air being sucked into the engine.

Makadamian
07-29-2008, 11:41 AM
Just ordered mine today finally!!! Cant wait!

Tucker
07-29-2008, 01:35 PM
Just ordered mine today finally!!! Cant wait!
Thank you!
Jay

Hacklemerc
07-29-2008, 02:25 PM
I've been thinking about picking on of these up for the wife's DTR. I have a K&N on mine and love it. I just wanted to try and compare the two..

Makadamian
08-05-2008, 11:55 AM
Just got my JLT installed today and all I can say is wow!!! Should have got one a long time ago.

HotRodMercury
09-02-2008, 05:33 AM
I realy wanted to order one intill,
I heard the problems with the pvc, plus the hood rubbin?,

and pics on how to fix the pvc, also what the pvc looks like when
complete?, dawm i realy wanted one?

fastblackmerc
09-02-2008, 06:14 AM
I realy wanted to order one intill,
I heard the problems with the pvc, plus the hood rubbin?,

and pics on how to fix the pvc, also what the pvc looks like when
complete?, dawm i realy wanted one?

If installed correctly there are no PVC or hood liner rubbing issues.

Tucker
09-02-2008, 06:33 AM
Problems with the PCV??
What problems with the PCV do you speak of?