PDA

View Full Version : What’s A Normal Transmissions Temperature

bigbillybbs
06-11-2008, 10:59 PM
I just recently purchased a Aero Force Gauge from DR. I have it set up on a pillar pod and love it. But what is the normal temperature my Transmissions should be running at. What is dangerously high???
My Aero Force Gauge reads 175 F on the highway at 80mph
Around town she stays around 140F

Icarus
06-12-2008, 03:17 AM
Those sounds like good temps...
A decent chart for a guideline is here (http://performanceunlimited.com/documents/tempguide.html).

Marauderjack
06-12-2008, 03:22 AM
Mine runs 195*-200* during the summer......highest I have seen in a year is 202*!!:beer:

At the temps you are running "Normal" fluid changes/flushes will be fine.....I drop 4 quarts every 3rd oil change (15K miles) and so far I have been fine?:D

BTW, I use the ScanGauge and am not sure where the EEC senses the temps??:confused:

Any one know where the sensor is?:cool:

Marauderjack:burnout:

Marauderman
06-12-2008, 04:16 AM
WOW--From looking at all thses numbers you all posted--I guess I 'm in real good condition- cause I haven't seen mine go above 150 much at all..and thats when it real hot...wonder if the larger pan has alot to do with that..........but now I feel much better anyway after looking at what some of you have said about yours.......

Eric91Z
06-12-2008, 07:01 AM
I just recently purchased a Aero Force Gauge from DR. I have it set up on a pillar pod and love it. But what is the normal temperature my Transmissions should be running at. What is dangerously high???
My Aero Force Gauge reads 175 F on the highway at 80mph
Around town she stays around 140F

I have a ScanGauge II in the Crown Vic PI and see temps right around what you are seeing. And the highest I have seen on coolant temps was around 195 degrees with the A/C on and idling on a 90 degree day.

I got my dual Aeroforce setup from Dennis, but have yet to install in the Marauder. Waiting for the HID kit and will plan a day to get all of that installed and do a little driving around. I have a FRPP tranny cooler that I want to install and would be nice to get before and after temps using the AeroForce setup.

Glenn
06-12-2008, 09:31 AM
The trans temp can vary by 20-30 degrees depending on where your sensor is picking up the temp. Your gauge temp seems low for this hot weather especially the around town temp of 140 degrees unless you have a very good after market trans cooler in addition to the stock cooler.

Glenn :burnout:

Todd
06-12-2008, 10:16 AM
I think Jerry W. said the ideal temp for our trans to run was 170 I believe. He helped design our trans for Ford so I would assume he knows what he is talking about.

I have a huge trans cooler and mine runs 130 average. 150 if it is a very hot day. I will be getting rid of my trans cooler to raise temps slightly. Probably replacing it with a smaller Derale unit I already have or at least relocate mine to a less efficient location.

I use the OBDII port trans temp (via scangauge) and a Autometer trans temp gauge with sensor in the pan. Pan reading is slightly lower than the OBDII.

Glenn
06-12-2008, 12:45 PM
Todd:

You must have a huge trans cooler to get your temps down to 130 degrees. I just have never seen trans temps that low in hot weather.

Glenn

Todd
06-12-2008, 01:02 PM
Todd:

You must have a huge trans cooler to get your temps down to 130 degrees. I just have never seen trans temps that low in hot weather.

Glenn

Yep, takes up almost the entire grill area.

merc
06-12-2008, 01:10 PM
The trans temp can vary by 20-30 degrees depending on where your sensor is picking up the temp.
Glenn :burnout:

That's exactly right Glen. I have a Scan Gauge and a meter in the trans pan. They read different temps.

Zack
06-12-2008, 01:38 PM
That's exactly right Glen. I have a Scan Gauge and a meter in the trans pan. They read different temps.

I would trust the scan gauge.
The 2 sensors are literally within 2 inches of each other, and both submerged in trans fluid.

bigbillybbs
06-12-2008, 11:12 PM
Those sounds like good temps...
A decent chart for a guideline is here (http://performanceunlimited.com/documents/tempguide.html).

Nice chart then that means I am in th A-OK area ...

Windsor58
06-13-2008, 12:03 AM
Dennis set me up with a deep, finned trans pan with a dedicated sensor on the side of the sump. I have never seen it get up to 150. It is usually below 120. After a wide open run (to 150+ mph) at 82 degrees, it was around 140 degrees.