PDA

View Full Version : Rim cleaning

Mike
06-12-2008, 06:18 AM
I know there's MM owner's out there that pull their wheels off to clean the inner part of the rim and I was wondering what type of products and scrubbing pads are used :confused:

Stranger in the Black Sedan
06-12-2008, 06:59 AM
No scrubbing pads! I use Stoner brand spray on bug and tar remover and a soft cloth. If that doesn't take it off, it's not coming off safely without ruining the clear.

CROWNMARAUDER
06-12-2008, 07:01 AM
I used to use just wheel cleaner & a sponge on my mustangs. You may need some tar remover also.

KillJoy
06-12-2008, 07:07 AM
Use the same stuff as you would on the car. The Wheels are Clearcoated with Powder Coating.

:up:

KillJoy

Zack
06-12-2008, 07:13 AM
I know there's MM owner's out there that pull their wheels off to clean the inner part of the rim and I was wondering what type of products and scrubbing pads are used :confused:

You want your RIM cleaned? Ask Trish :eek:

MM2004
06-12-2008, 08:58 AM

Eagle One All Wheel Cleaner.

Spray it on (wheel should be cool).

Let sit for about 1 minute. Gently scrub with a tire brush then thoroughly hose off.

Do the tires while you're at it.

Dry with a towel.

Mike.

Pat
06-12-2008, 09:10 AM
pull their wheels off to clean the inner part of the rim :confused:

I think he's referring to the non-finished inside of the rim, not the outer polished side. So, does that make a difference?

Regards,

BigCars4Ever
06-12-2008, 09:17 AM
I have a long rubber tipped brush from Meguiars made for just this task. I don't need to remove the wheels and it fits easily between the rim and the caliper. http://www.carcareproducts.com.au/product/meguiars/ultra_safe_wheel_spoke_brush

DOOM
06-12-2008, 09:45 AM
Im doing mine today. I use really hot water and a microfiber towel. If your wheels are bad then use bug and tar remover.

Dragcity
06-12-2008, 10:10 AM
I have used bug & tar remover and a green scrubby pad on mthe inner portion of the rim. They can get pretty gooey. Just don't push too hard on the scrubby.....

SMOKE
06-12-2008, 10:17 AM
Bug and tar for the heavy stuff, chrome/metal polish and a Meguire's Power Ball, then cleaner wax and hand buff...

I know there is a camp that may pipe up about waxing the inside of the wheel and that's a good recommendation for a daily driver (may lead to more stuff clinging). I don't drive my car all that much so I get a lot of mileage out of pulling the wheels off and doing them up once a year.

In between I wash with the same soapy water as the outside of the car (different sponge of course) and maybe some Simple Green Max if it's really messy in there. Can usually swish my hand around in between the spokes without taking too much skin off my hands on the caliper. Roll the car a bit to get the dark-side-of-the-moon spot on the fronts from the close tolerance between the caliper and wheel (rears I can usually go all the way around).

Looks like BC4E's suggestion may be worth the $15 investement for me!

-Jonathan

jonroe
06-12-2008, 11:02 AM
I take mine off every year for the inner cleaning as well as to refresh the anti-sieze between the wheel and the rotor surfaces to prevent sticking.

I guess I'm way low tech. I use tar remover (aka gasoline) followed by hot soapy water followed by a coat of car wax then slap them back on.

ctrlraven
06-12-2008, 01:37 PM
I started using Eagle One Aluminum wheel & tire cleaner, man it does a great job. I usually use a sponge to clean the inner part of the wheel. I guess I will be pulling my wheels off tomorrow night to clean them after I get off of work.

Never thought of using the bug & tar remover on the inner part of the wheels for cleaning.

DOOM don't forget to ice your wheels y0! lol

Blk Mamba
06-12-2008, 04:28 PM
I took mine off while painting my calipers, and they had so much tar, and pebbles stuck to them, that I took a scrubby, and simple green to them, and as I was going to do anyway, I painted them black. I like it, this winter while the MM's being painted, I'm going to powder coat the insides, and black chrome the outsides.

GordonB
06-12-2008, 05:02 PM
Greetings,
DO NOT use Green Scrubby pads. They will scratch the wheels.
Use Bug & Tar or mineral spirits on a half piece of Blue shop towel -- when it gets dirty, get a new cloth. Then use the same wax/polish that you use on the car body. Just my 2 cents worth.
FWIW, my wheels get put on in April and removed and cleaned/polished in late Nov. when my winter wheels go on.
Please treat the inner & outer parts of your wheels just like you would your MM body paint!
GordonB

sailsmen
06-12-2008, 05:08 PM
Tidy Bowl and a New Toilet Brush works well. A used brush leaves rust stains.

Mike
06-12-2008, 11:08 PM
I think he's referring to the non-finished inside of the rim, not the outer polished side. So, does that make a difference?

Regards,

This is correct and I want to thank all who chimed in :beer: especially Zack :puke:

bigbillybbs
06-12-2008, 11:21 PM
When you have them all nice and clean on the inside glob on some collinite Paste Fleetwax.
Its maid for Marine and Aeronautical Finishes. But it will protect the inside very very well. This stuff will last a year on the rims. ("GOOD STUFF")

http://www.collinitemarine.com/products.htm#885

Svashtar
07-04-2008, 09:14 PM
Well, like you guys I clean the inside a couple of times a year. Good idea about the anti-seize on the rim BTW. I just painted the rotor hats though and that should help I hope.

I DO use the green scrubby pads and hot soapy water on the _inside_ of the rim only. Maybe I've ruined them and don't know it, but they look great to me, and I haven't found anything else that can get them as bright and clean.

I know not to get the scotchbrite pad anywhere near the polished outer rim of course.

I've checked and I see no signs that I'm removing anything. I don't think the inside of the rims has the clear lacquer that the outside does.

All I know is that when the car was new it had been sitting on the lot a long time and the wheels were filthy. Paper towels, citrus cleaner, simple green, micorofiber towels just didn't cut it.

The inside of the wheel is a satin finish anyway, right? Feedback welcome...

Norm

BAD MERC
07-05-2008, 04:52 AM
When I fully detail my car, I take the wheels off to paint the brake hardware anyway. I use a plastic scraper to remove bits of tar and blacktop debris. I soak a rag in mineral spirits and continue rubbing gently until all the stains are gone. Rinse with water and dry. Then I use glass cleaner and micro-fiber towels followed by a coat of wax. They are EASY to clean after that for about 3 months.

knine
07-05-2008, 05:38 AM
You want your RIM cleaned? Ask Trish :eek:
Yea, the title of the thread is misleading...............:eek:

Svashtar
07-05-2008, 02:14 PM
When I fully detail my car, I take the wheels off to paint the brake hardware anyway. I use a plastic scraper to remove bits of tar and blacktop debris. I soak a rag in mineral spirits and continue rubbing gently until all the stains are gone. Rinse with water and dry. Then I use glass cleaner and micro-fiber towels followed by a coat of wax. They are EASY to clean after that for about 3 months.

This is exactly what I should have done years ago but didn't. My '03 was bought in July '04 and had been sitting on the lot for 21 months. The rims and tires were a mess. One rim still has stains on the inside of the spokes that I just can't get out. Only way I could find to get them semi-clean was a scoth pad and elbow grease. I know there are fine scratches in there. The outsides seem fine now after babying them.

I'm thinking about the powerball and the clearcoat safe compound for it. I know there's a thread here about that.

N.