PDA

View Full Version : My First Tune

HiHo
06-13-2008, 04:49 PM
Well, I did it!! And surprising simple it was! Upon the recommendation from forum members, chatted with Lidio (seems like a good ol' bubba) and acquired an Xcal3 with his 93 Octane/3.55's, 91 Octane/3.55's and, upon his recommendation, the 93 Octane/4.10's. He seemed to know that I may want that in the future and, after puuting the 93/3.55 in this evening, am thinking maybe I do want to do 4.10's. They say Performance is addictive! But I should be alright with just one more mod... right???
Still need to get a liitle more quality time with the re-tuned Marauder to firm up my opinion, but a quick spin this evening seems to indicate that the tune took!

mrjones
06-13-2008, 06:28 PM
I got Lidios tune after I put in the 4.10s. I'm pretty sure that if I'd gotten the tune first, I wouldn't have changed the gears, especially at todays gas prices.

Iowa Rick
06-13-2008, 08:06 PM
I got Lidios tune after I put in the 4.10s. I'm pretty sure that if I'd gotten the tune first, I wouldn't have changed the gears, especially at todays gas prices.

I've got the tune on order for the 91 octane and both the 3.55 and 4.10 gears. What kind of hit did you take on mileage going to the 4.10 gears. 93 octane is not readily available here. BP is pretty common here and has 92 octane. I was thinking the 4.10s might be in order down the road. I wonder what the mileage hit is over the 3.55s. Thx, Rick

sd8683
06-13-2008, 08:37 PM
I didn't notice any change in gas consumption with the 4:10 gear swap, I consistantly get 240 to 260 miles per tank, depending on how much the pedal hit the firewall obviously, I got the same with the 3:55's, I highly reccomend the 4:10's, you'll notice a big differance!!

Canucksmarauder
06-14-2008, 04:08 AM
Where did you guy's purchase the tune from?

Part number please,
P

HiHo
06-14-2008, 04:29 AM
Where did you guy's purchase the tune from?

Part number please,
P

Alternative Auto... Lidio is the proprietor. They host a forum in the vendor section along with links to their site. I would read up on what you want in a tune first. Apparently Lidio and Dennis Reinhart (Reinhart Automotive, also in the vendor section) are the lead tuners and both offer a different approach. Lidio from a daily driver perspective and Reinhart from a straight performance orientation.

SC Cheesehead
06-14-2008, 06:08 AM
Don't think you'll see a big difference in mpg with 4:10's especially at highway speeds. Only a couple hundred rpm difference at 70 mph, and the engine is actually running a bit further up in the power band, so responsiveness improves.

I've tracked mileage on mine since I bought the car, and when I compare before and after (4:10 installation) it's about 1/2 mpg less. Well worth it to me for the improved performance the 4:10's provide.

FWIW, I'm running a Reinhart tune, and I love it. Either way, Lidio or DR are the go-to guys for tunes.

SCCH

HiHo
06-30-2008, 03:57 PM
UPDATE... after living with the tune for a couple of weeks, I have to say that I love it! Wish I had done this on my Lightning a long time ago. The tune definately improved performance... shifts are firmer and pickup is improved. Overall, it just seems peppier, like the tune woke it up.
So, no regrets, and I have the 4:10 tune ready when I make that mod (notice I said when, not if).
Magnaflows are next on the agenda.

ckadiddle
07-01-2008, 06:31 AM
We told you so! We told you so! We told you so! :)

LOWBUCKMM
07-07-2008, 07:46 PM
i just got a x cal3 today and i love what it did and soon ill have 4.10s in my car and maybe nitrous. so ill have to get some tunes from someone for that kind of stuff.