PDA

View Full Version : Los Angeles-area Meet Discussion

studio460
08-24-2003, 01:38 PM
Sorry, still don't have any good ideas for location yet, but I just thought I should start this thread since Logan gave us this cool new West Coast forum!

Directedby
08-24-2003, 01:49 PM
Peterson Car Museum has a huge mulitlevel parking lot. The top level is outside and is usually empy.

I bet if you call the Museum, they would give a group discount.

Johnnies Cafe is across the sreet.

studio460
08-24-2003, 01:53 PM
Hey! Directedby! Someone else mentioned Peterson's too. Yeah, it does have a good parking lot. But isn't Johnnie's Cafe out of business and shut down now?

Directedby
08-24-2003, 02:26 PM
Maybe Johnnies is out of biz. Hmm?

The grove or farmers market is up the road a mile or two to eat.

or the beach could be good.

Gladstones? or Mailbu Inn (across from Malibu Pier).

studio460
08-24-2003, 11:11 PM
I'll drive by Johnnie's on my way to work tomorrow, but I'm pretty sure it's toast.

Gladstones . . . hmmmmmm. I've been meaning to go there. The one on PCH, right? Well, Malibu's fine with me. May be a bit of a commute for the others. Pretty location, though. Can't remember how full the parking lot gets on weekends . . .

The Grove is a bit more central for everyone. But would we have enough clear parking spaces together? We would have to park out of the structure. Is there still street-level parking to the west of The Grove near the old Farmer's Market?

I'm also gonna check out this speed shop in Santa Monica and see if they would be willing to accomodate us. Will see if the parking lot is big enough, etc. It would be sorta cool to be around "car stuff" while we ogle and eat too!

Comments, anyone?

RocketCouch
08-25-2003, 12:26 AM
I went to a Crown Vic meet at the Peterson and I know we got a group rate. The top of the parking structure was huge and we had over 20 Panthers up there. The tour of the museum was also VERY cool.

Parking on PCH or near the beach is a pain in the ass as far as I'm concerned. Cool pics though :)

Speed shops are always cool, especially if they have dyno access.

Other possibilities could include a park somewhere and we bbq (potluck kind of deal)

How about LA County Raceway on a Friday night?

Matt Johnson
08-25-2003, 01:05 AM
I second the Petersen's idea - huge parking structure, rarely crowded, etc. The museum itself is worth a visit, especially for those who haven't been there.

As far as nearby eats, Johnnies is done - except for movie set rentals. But there is the legendary Tom Bergin's Irish pub down the street to which I'm partial (Fairfax south of Wilshire, easy walking distance from Petersen's) for pints and steak sandwiches if the hour is right.

There's also a Marie Calenders a few blocks East on Wilshire (near LACMA) but that's a definite drive from Petersens.

The Grove and Farmer's Mkt parking is a huge pain, not like it used to be when you could just pull into the lot for free, and not even worth thinking about IMO.

studio460
08-25-2003, 02:44 AM
Petersen's seems to be getting the nod here . . . Yeah, PCH can be a royal pain to park. Check this out:

Tuner Revolution at Petersen's Automotive Museum! (http://www.petersen.org/default.cfm?docid=1020)

"Laying claim to the streets once dominated by 1932 Ford highboys and Plymouth Hemi ‘Cudas, modern Tuner Cars represent an approach to performance motoring that has significant parallels to the early days of hot rodding more than half a century ago." --petersen.org website.

Exhibit ends September 14 so there isn't a whole lotta time to do this there--but it's the PERFECT theme, don'tcha think?

jefferson-mo? Sorry about the smart remarks about Tommy's and Rampart Division--you up for coming to this? maudominguez? James Hecker? amerikan? daily driver? You guys in? kingsford--you still here? Can any of you Vegas guys make it (Dave Compson)?

ANYONE ELSE IN L.A. IN HERE?

studio460
08-25-2003, 02:49 AM
Oh, I just looked at the petersen.org site a bit more carefully . . . the tuner exhibit I guess features a LOT of RICERS!!! All I saw was "Plymouth Hemi 'Cudas" in the description and got all excited. If that's still okay with everyone, I'm still game.

Dave Compson
08-25-2003, 08:32 AM
Just give me some advance notice and ill drive down from vegas.

RocketCouch
08-25-2003, 09:03 AM
Lets get a date and I'll mark it on the calendar

Directedby
08-25-2003, 10:12 AM
I like Peterson's. Last Summer I spent several days and long knights filming my Batman movie there.

I don't get my 2004 MM until mid October, but I would still go.

dailydriver
08-25-2003, 03:31 PM
I would like to attend if I get enough notice.

vegasmarauder
08-25-2003, 10:55 PM
I would be interested too if enough advance notice...

Dave Compson
08-25-2003, 11:47 PM
Maybe the three of us vegas marauder owners could caravan. That would be cool! How many people would get out of our way? We would look like some kind of pimped out FBI agents>!!!

JamesHecker
08-26-2003, 01:14 AM
I'm definatley in! I propose Sept 14th. Gives plenty of notice and catches the current exhibit, despite the ricers!

I can be reached at 800-303-5741 xt 923 if anyone wants to discuss details.

studio460
08-26-2003, 02:58 AM
Sunday, Sept. 14th? Sounds good to me. Count me in!

studio460
08-26-2003, 03:24 AM
PETERSEN'S MEET INFO:

Since it looks like a number of us are agreeing on Petersen's, I'm posting some general info. First, I guess I should check if there are any conflicting events on Sept. 14th at the museum. We would need to fill out a form at Petersen's (online or fax) for the group rate--it also has a space for special requests (e.g., coned-off parking, yes?). Need to get a head count of adults and children expected to attend, and settle on a time (we need at least 10 people for group rate). I would assume most would want the "unguided tour" but I'll await comments on that here. Note that parking for members of "Car Clubs" is FREE!!! GROUP RATE REQUEST MUST BE IN TWO WEEKS PRIOR TO REQUESTED DATE/TIME!!! So let's try and get all this settled by 5:00PM PST Thursday, August 28th if we're shooting for a Sunday, Sept. 14th meet! Is everyone in???

Petersen's Automotive Museum
6060 Wilshire Blvd., Los Angeles, CA 90036
(southeast corner of Wilshire and Fairfax)
tel. 323-930-CARS

Group Rates:
Tuesday through Sunday. Please let us know what time you are interested in coming. 1 hour guided or unguided tour visit. To receive the Group Rate your group must be 10 or more people.

Adults (19+) $6.00 (instead of $10)
Seniors (62+) $4.00 (instead of $5)
Students (13-18 or student w/ID) $4.00 (instead of $5)
Children (5-12) $2.00 (instead of $3)
Children under 5 FREE

Parking:
Parking in the Museum parking structure is $6.00 per car. Car Clubs receive free parking for those members arriving in the make of your Car Club. Other Cars Club members arriving in different makes or models will pay the regular parking fee of $6.00 per car.

Hours:
Tuesday through Sunday: 10:00 am - 6:00 pm
Closed on Mondays

e-mail: nbcshooter@comcast.net
cellular: 310.722.0293

JamesHecker
08-26-2003, 08:04 AM
I'll count for two adults. I'm open as far as time goes.
Hopefully we will get enough of a response to lock in the date by this thursday. If not we can pick a later date, or even pass on the group rate.

Thanks, NBC for getting the info on Petersen's. I'm looking forward to visiting Petersen's for the first time and I am looking forward to meeting everyone.

Dave Compson
08-26-2003, 08:20 AM
The date sounds good for me. Count me in!!! I put it on my calender, lets decide on a time, and ill drive down really early from vegas! I am not really familiar with l.a., but i have nbc shooters cell. Is it ok if i call when i get lost?

Matt Johnson
08-26-2003, 09:08 AM
I'm in for one adult. Unguided tour is the way to go.

Dave, Just take the 10 West to the Fairfax exit and go North on Fairfax. After you cross Olympic and San Vicente, you'll go about another block - Petersen's will be on your right (East side of street) just south of Wilshire. You make a right turn off of Fairfax into the parking lot.

RocketCouch
08-26-2003, 12:33 PM
I'm in for one adult.

Directedby
08-26-2003, 03:23 PM
I'm in.

One adult plus one child.

Dave Compson
08-26-2003, 03:45 PM
Thanks for the directions, sounds good!

ParkRanger
08-26-2003, 04:54 PM
:beer:

9/14/03 at Petersens sounds fine. Count me in for two adults.
Guided tour sounds more interesting - better info.
What time and exactly where to meet?
Where to go for hot beer and cold sandwiches?
Looking forward to picking some brains and learning.

ParkRanger

studio460
08-26-2003, 05:16 PM
STARTED A NEW THREAD ON THIS TOPIC:

PETERSEN'S MEET 09/14/2003 (http://mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=57767#post57767)

Please continue all discussion regarding the meet there--thanks!