PDA

View Full Version : Got my new rotors! How do I pull the old ones off?

studio460
06-30-2008, 01:15 PM
Got my new zinc-washed, drilled/slotted rotors from Brake Planet! How do I pull the old ones off? Is it too hard to do yourself? Need special tools?

KillJoy
06-30-2008, 01:18 PM
A Hammer.

A Big One.

A BFH preferrably.

:D

KillJoy

studio460
06-30-2008, 01:20 PM
Gotcha! Thanks! Are they retained in any way, or are they just "sitting" on there?

justbob
06-30-2008, 01:20 PM
Remove calipers and proceed with hammer.

studio460
06-30-2008, 01:22 PM
Thanks! Good, I have LOTS of hammers!

Blackened300a
06-30-2008, 03:16 PM
Thanks! Good, I have LOTS of hammers!

Yeah but you may have to call Thor for this job. Those things are on tight.

MM_BKK
06-30-2008, 03:47 PM
Beat the living crap out of the old ones with BFH like it owes you money!
Spray some penetrating oil around its hub and rotate and pound away!

Blk Mamba
06-30-2008, 04:06 PM
I took mine of the rear with a pair of large screwdrivers, working my way around till they came off, no hammer. The hardest part was getting them over the E-brake shoes. The fronts just came right off. Don't forget when you put them back on to put anti-seize around the hub so the rust won't form again.

mrjones
06-30-2008, 05:45 PM
What about loosening the lugnuts and driving around the block? I heard that would do the trick. Could be entertaining as well. Might meet some new neighbors - while you're getting your wheel out of their mailbox.

2,4shofast
06-30-2008, 05:47 PM
It took 2 pry bars and an air hammer to get my rears off....and it still took about 30 minutes a piece! :mad2:

studio460
06-30-2008, 06:00 PM
Thanks guys! The front rotors literally just fell off!

HELP! I need some HELP with the rears!!!!!

How do I get rear calipers off?????? What do I unbolt? Do I unbolt those four nuts around the axle? Or just the two long skinny bolts on the back of the caliper? If so, how do I get the caliper off of those "rails?" Or, am I supposed to take the whole darned assembly off, by removing those four nuts on the axle, or what???? HELP!!!!

I took mine of the rear with a pair of large screwdrivers, working my way around till they came off, no hammer. The hardest part was getting them over the E-brake shoes. The fronts just came right off.
Mine, too. But, for the rears, that's what I'm confused about. Does that E-brake assembly stay on the car, while I attempt to manuever the rotor past it, or what? How do I get the caliper out of those rails?

Don't forget when you put them back on to put anti-seize around the hub so the rust won't form again.
Good tip!

studio460
06-30-2008, 06:27 PM
HELP! :::emergency bump:::

Blackened300a
06-30-2008, 06:38 PM
HELP! :::emergency bump:::

The 2 skinny bolts then slide the metal tab and the caliper will pop off

Blk Mamba
06-30-2008, 06:38 PM
The two long "skinny" bolts hold the caliper in place, you may have to pry the caliper forward from the rotor, because of the rust it may take a little bit of back and forth, you will also need to press in on the spring clip so the pads will slide past the rails. Try to never use a hammer on your car, it is a carpenters tool, for driving nails. if needed wire brush around the center hub, and spray with, a good rust buster, tap soundly with a rubber, or leather mallet, then try again to remove the rotor, if all else fails you may have to remove the dust boot from the rear mounting plate and back off the E-brake shoes. DO NOT remove the four bolts that hold that plate to the rear-end assembly.

justbob
06-30-2008, 06:40 PM
I usually just stick a prybar in the rear caliper center top. Stick it between the rotor and the outboard pad and pry toward you just a hair. All you need is enough to get it off. And yes the two little bolts is all you need to remove. Then take them off.

imorb1994
06-30-2008, 06:47 PM
I know alot of people are not comfortable with it. But i use an oxy torch not much heat needed, im sure a small propane torch would work too, they fal right off like the fronts.

studio460
06-30-2008, 07:13 PM
THANK YOU!!!!!!

MM.net to the rescue! So, I did already remove the two long skinny bolts from the rear calipers (the ones with the rubber boots).

But . . .

Do I now slide the caliper toward me, to get them off of those "rails?" Am I taking "half" of it off, or should the whole thing slide off? Thanks again, Maruder guys!

Blk Mamba
06-30-2008, 07:16 PM
The caliper should slide off the rotor toward the front of the car, sometimes a common screwdriver between the edge of the rotor, and the caliper, and pry forward will loosen it up.

studio460
06-30-2008, 09:59 PM
The caliper should slide off the rotor toward the front of the car, sometimes a common screwdriver between the edge of the rotor, and the caliper, and pry forward will loosen it up.

Thanks! Really? It slides towards, like, the FRONT bumper? Not, "out" towards the side of the car? Forgive me for sounding like an idiot, but, how can it clear those top and bottom retaining "rails?" It's nighttime now, so I put all my tools and stuff away, and I'm no longer looking at the brake itself. At least I was successful in painting the front calipers silver and installing the front rotors. Sure doesn't stop any better, but, boy, the car looks really dressed up now! Pictures . . . soon! Will try to do the rear rotors tomorrow. Appreciate any further advice!

Marauderjack
07-01-2008, 04:52 AM
The springy thingy holds it in place.......push it down and pull the caliper forward!!:beer:

studio460
07-01-2008, 06:37 PM
Thanks, Marauderjack! Thanks, trash! DUH! It's so easy . . . once you know about the stupid spring thingie! Now, how do I get the #%#@%#& ROTOR OFF!!!!! I tried pry bars, hammers, everything except a torch! If I use a torch, where exactly do I apply the heat? Is that the only way? If I continue to use a hammer, where is the best place to strike? Where is it "stuck?" HELP!!!!!

studio460
07-01-2008, 11:19 PM
DONE!

How to remove your rear rotors in about 60 SECONDS:

1. Put car in neutral.
2. Spray a liberal amount of WD-40 into the seam between the hub and the rotor (the "center circle," as you look at the rotor straight on).
3. Tap the backside of the rotor through the gap in the dust cover with a 3 Lb. hammer. Three or four light-to-medium strength taps should do it.
4. Rotate rotor 30 degrees, and repeat.
5. Continue until rotor breaks loose (about 1.5 revolutions).
6. DON'T FORGET TO PUT THE CAR BACK IN PARK!

[Note: This assumes that you have already removed the caliper (as described above).]

P.S. By the way, a 6" C-clamp is NOT the best thing to compress the piston on the rears. A 6" or longer furniture clamp is much easier. The top part of the clamp is slimmer, allowing you a more perpendicular angle to seat the top jaw flat, onto the brake pad surface. Settle the bottom jaw of the furniture clamp (the round metal circle part) exactly on top of the large bolt, located in the center of the back part of the caliper, opposite the pad side.

Thanks for everyone's help on this "little" project (I'm too embarassed to admit how long it actually took me to figure it all out)! For a small investment, you sure don't stop any faster, but boy does it dress up the car! It's like a super-hot chick wearing flats, compared with wearing 6" stilletos! Pictures, SOON! (Of both the car, and a girl with stilletos!). Woo hoo! My Marauder looks HOT, now!

Marauderjack
07-02-2008, 03:44 AM
NS.....

You are now a full fledged "Marauder Brake Tech"!!:bows:

Congratulations!!:beer:

Marauderjack:burnout:

lucenti
07-02-2008, 06:01 AM
what was the price yu paid for the rotors ?

:thanks:

Glenn
07-02-2008, 08:17 AM
Where's the GF sig - Shooter!!!

Glenn :burnout:

Bigdough
07-02-2008, 09:10 AM
what was the price yu paid for the rotors ?

:thanks:

What he said. Any pics?

studio460
07-02-2008, 09:35 AM
You are now a full fledged "Marauder Brake Tech"!!
Not quite, Marauderjack!!! I still need to ask you guys how to pull the damn pads outta the caliper!!! What sized hammer do I use for THAT?!?!?!? How do you get those stupid clips out?????

what was the price yu paid for the rotors?

I got my zinc-washed, drilled/slotted rotors from Brake Planet in Santa Clarita, CA. They have a Marauder-specific, four-rotor set, for $218.40. Yes, they're made in China. Doesn't stop the car any better, but they sure look sweet.

Brake Planet drilled/slotted rotors for Marauders (http://stores.brakeplanet.com/store/search.aspx?key=MERCURY+MARAUD ER+2004&submit=Search)

But, had I known about the Brembos or Cryoslots, both of which make a Marauder-speific set, I may have bought those instead. The Cryoslots are expensive (about $129 each), but the Brembos aren't that much more money (about $89 each).

sicilianmarquis
07-02-2008, 09:38 AM
tkae the calipers off, with a 10 mm wrench, take caliperbraket off with a 14mm socket, slides right off

studio460
07-02-2008, 09:40 AM
tkae the calipers off, with a 10 mm wrench, take caliperbraket off with a 14mm socket, slides right off
Wow! THAT was FAST! THANK YOU!!!

mtenderenda
07-02-2008, 09:43 AM
When I replaced my rotors..The back ones was a pain to take off.. So I went to Sears and picked up a tool...
Craftsman 2-3 Jaw Gear Puller (http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00946906000P?vNa me=Automotive&cName=Tools+%26+Equipment&sName=Automotive+Specialty+Too ls)

Sears item #00946906000
Mfr. model #46906
User Rating:http://reviews.sears.com/2328/5/5/rating.gif ratings

Worked like a charm...The rotor came off in a matter of minutes

PRCARGUY
10-11-2010, 09:22 AM
I know this posting it's alittle old but, this info was very helpful. :beer: