PDA

View Full Version : Front shocks??

sd8683
06-30-2008, 10:56 PM
I'm gonna start by saying yes I've searched other threads and couldn't find a definitive answer on what to go with for front shocks, what are my options?? I've heard mixed reviews on the monroes and the OEM's is there any other aftermarket shocks for our MM's, I also don't wanna break the bank for shocks. If anyone could give me part #'s for the differant brands of shocks to that would be great!
Thanks, Sean

sd8683
07-01-2008, 09:40 AM
Does anyone have any input? I would like to buy these ASAP, I'm young and dumb and I don't wanna spend the money elsewhere. Lol
Thanks, Sean

gmtech
07-01-2008, 09:59 AM
i would recommend OEM for the ride and handling...anything else will be for CV/GM and will be generic...except for NAAKE set-up but thats a lot of $$...buy oem and be done:D

wchain
07-01-2008, 11:09 AM
OEM are made by tokico. And right now, I beleive the only other aftermarket choice is Monroe, which has 2 or 3 flavors.

Green96
07-01-2008, 05:56 PM
I went with KYB. I have not been impressed with the quality I have seen from Monroe lately, and Tokico (OEM) does not last long enough in my opinion. When I replaced my original shocks, the rears felt like they were not moving at all and the fronts had started to feel very harsh with a very abrupt rebound.

The KYBs feel great up front, well controlled with a good ride quality. The rears feel good in terms of ride quality, but they allowed quite a bit more body roll. I recently fixed this with front and rear Addco sway bars. The KYBs with Addco sway bars seams like a great setup to me. The Addco bars fixed any handling downfalls, and the KYB shocks give a nice ride quality. Best of both worlds:).

Stranger in the Black Sedan
07-02-2008, 04:45 AM
That's curious about more rear roll w/ KYB's - I have run the GR2 stuff on a few cars and they were much better than stock (although I guess it depends on how good "stock" is in the first place).

I would never ever put Monroe sensatracs or anything like that on this car. They are going to turn it into a floater.

Green96
07-02-2008, 05:18 PM
I got the car used, so I don't know how the ride was new. I got it with 32,000 and it seemed to ride OK, but by 42,000 it was getting harsh. Particularly the rears, the rear would not absorb anything. When I took them off the rears were almost impossible to compress even slightly by hand. The KYB shocks may not have any worse roll than when the car was new with OEM, my only comparison was to how it rode when I got it with 32K. I also changed to larger Kumho tires on the rear about the same time. They could have made a difference in the roll also. Even without the sway bars I was happy with the KYBs, I was just trying to relay my perception of how they changed the handling of the car.
One other thing to note. The KYB GR2 is a twin tube shock, the shocks for the Marauder are the monotube Gas-Adjust series. KYB considered them a higher performance shock than the GR2. KYB does not make a GR2 shock for our car.

mrjones
07-02-2008, 09:53 PM
I'm ready for shocks also. One was replaced under warranty - yeah, one. They're both bad now - really bad. I loved the ride and handling with the Tokicos, but they didn't last for poopoo. I may try the Monroes this time.

Fourth Horseman
07-02-2008, 10:42 PM
Just put the KYBs front and back on my '03 Marauder today. So far I am impressed with the way they handle the big car and my Eibach springs. I was concerned that they might be too harsh, but that's not the case at all. I think they feel quite a bit better than the stock Tokicos.

07-03-2008, 04:59 AM
Ooookay so one vote for non KYB's, and one for KYB's. Me confused!

hbarrett
07-03-2008, 08:01 AM
I tried the Monroe shocks on the rear and was sorry, the OEM shocks are more responsive in both directions; albeit, more expensive too. Good luck.
I'm gonna start by saying yes I've searched other threads and couldn't find a definitive answer on what to go with for front shocks, what are my options?? I've heard mixed reviews on the monroes and the OEM's is there any other aftermarket shocks for our MM's, I also don't wanna break the bank for shocks. If anyone could give me part #'s for the differant brands of shocks to that would be great!
Thanks, Sean

07-03-2008, 08:04 AM
Monroe sensatracs have seal-bypassing grooves cut into the piston to intentionally soften the ride at ride height. I put a set on a car I had previously and ended up taking them off for KYB GR2s, which had infinitely more damping.