PDA

View Full Version : Supercharger upgrade

Dennis Reinhart
08-26-2003, 06:51 PM
Over the weekend I have gone to a 3.61 pulley instead of the 3.48. Jerry and I retuned The car, it now Makes 420 RWHP I feel that this is the safest way to go, 450 RWHP is 530 to the flywheel this is gambling I don't care to do this, Zack has followed suite, So I am leaving this option open to the buyer, several other shops have lost motors in the 450 RWHP area using there setup, but again this may be do to just bad luck or bad parts, this has happened with 01 Cobras and GT's. I am also convinced the oil pump is weak on this car, I know several N/A Marauders have lost motors due to oil pump failure. I recommend Billet oil pump gears, to remove all doubt, I am not saying this is for every body but for someone that really hammers the car I feel its a must. The advantage of lowering the HP we have added more timing down low, this makes the car so responsive its just unbelievable, this car just devastates the OEM 18" tires from a standing stop. I will take Keith's car to Gainesville tomorrow and run the car with stock 18 tires and then install 18" slicks, for those that question the 17 Cobra R's with Nitto slicks. I will post the numbers when I can. I am also in the process of making a LED intake air temp light and a LED oil pressure light and it will be real slick where I am locating it.

Zack
08-26-2003, 06:58 PM
I have decided to switch to the larger pulley as well. I am convinced my engine is possessed in ways the natural world cannot begin to describe, but 420rwhp is more than adequate for me,.. for now!! I think my engine could handle it, but its not worth chancing it until the S/C is paid off. And another thing, this project was undertaken for two reasons: 51% personal satisfaction, 49% to contend with camaros on the street. So after a quick evaluation, I am achieving both goals with either power level.

Bigdogjim
08-26-2003, 07:01 PM
Dennis: Do you ever rest?

Thanks

Dennis Reinhart
08-26-2003, 07:09 PM
I was gone all weekend in Tampa at the tuning session. I sure wish others could have shown up, we were busy and we finished Sunday I got home Sunday at 11:00PM so I do get tired, so if I was a bear on the phone Monday now you know why, KVR is sponsoring me three sets if brakes to bring to Ennis, I have 10 sway bars 2 PI converters lots of plugs and stats Bob white decals two drive shafts so I am out of space someone has to bring Vodka and beer
:D :D :D :D

Marauderman
08-26-2003, 07:10 PM
Well, since we're speaking of numbers--I like 500 flywheel/ 400 RWHP myself--I tend to think this is adequate to handle any needs I may have..plus keep some of my other parts within prespective for upgrading without worrying of failure before replacement as upgrade is capable($$) .my .02cents

Marauderman
08-26-2003, 07:13 PM
[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Dennis Reinhart
[has to bring Vodka and beer
QUOTE]

which follows which--or are they a chaser to each!! Oh WoW!

fblumberg
09-02-2003, 03:49 PM
I'll be in Tampa for a wine show on the 27th
would love to get a chip install..
let me know...
Fred
fort myers,
239-337-3400
have restaurant and cater
chef N.Y.C. 25 years!!
d o you barter???
x- mas parties, private meals etc....
cell#239-851-5760
let me knowschmooze@cyberstreet.com
thanx

Dennis Reinhart
09-02-2003, 04:03 PM
I would be glad to help any way I can please call me so I can explain your options for a stage one package

merc
09-02-2003, 06:17 PM
Wow, Dennis you are a pioneer in the Marauder development and modifications. You are absolutely correct in pointing out deficiencies in the oil pump gears. Making this car fast using Stage 1 parts is a must. I personally would like to make my car more reliable and fun by beefing up the Transmission, Rear End, and Brakes. This is in preparation for the almighty Vortech. I admit that I am hanging on the fence when it comes to engine modifications. I don’t have the cash to replace any high dollar components damaged due to performance modifications. This could all change within 10,000 miles. We are all learning about the mechanics and reliability issues concerning our cars. This week I am having a catalytic converter replaced under warranty. In the last 6 months I have spent more time at the dealership then desired. This is slowing me down from reaching my ultimate goal. I now work for Visa, Ford Motor Credit, Pentagon Federal Credit Union, my Wife, and next year Dennis Reinhart. Oh well, its only money, and you can’t take it to your grave, the federal government made sure of that.

:pimp:

Dennis Reinhart
09-02-2003, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by merc
I am hanging on the fence when it comes to engine modifications. I don’t have the cash to replace any high dollar components damaged due to performance modifications.

I think you are confused, and or missinformed. Nothing is damaged from the modifications its a piss poor part, there are stock Marauder motors failing now do to oil pump failure at least four members here that I know of, the same gears are used in the SOHC motors and they are also having issues with this problem, so again it has nothing to with any modifications its a problem with the poor quality of the stock OEM gears, just like the early 4V motors had cooling problems with the heads, the first 03 Cobras had this as well as any other 4V motor at that time of production that used the same heads as the Cobra this includes the Marauder and Ford has not recalled this.

Dennis

merc
09-02-2003, 06:42 PM
I don’t think I am confused, or misinformed. I am one of the members you referenced when talking about gears and oil pump failures. Ford replaced my motor because of that reason. What I was talking about is decreasing the reliability of the car when adding high performance parts. One could argue modification failures are due to driver abuse, or improper installation. What I am looking for is the most cost effective method that results in increased performance and driving pleasure. I hate spending time in the shop unless it’s being modified. Don't get me wrong Dennis, I am one of your biggest fans.

:pimp:

Dennis Reinhart
09-02-2003, 06:53 PM
Well when you try and convey your feelings and thoughts it some times can be read wrong, the statement you made is a prime example, I just don't want someone who may be less informed or knowledgeable to think that, simple modifications can lead to motor failure, there are a few that have done nothing and have had serious issues with the car, and transmission as well as the A/C for example. So I did not mean for you to think I was angry. I was not at all. I just feel it could have been worded better.

merc
09-02-2003, 07:07 PM
Sorry, about the confusion related to my statement. After review, I can clearly see how this could occur.

Dennis Reinhart
09-02-2003, 07:10 PM
Hey thats what the club is here for, to convey thoughts and ideas on how to improve this awsome car.

Dennis

SergntMac
09-03-2003, 04:46 AM
Originally posted by Dennis Reinhart
I will take Keith's car to Gainesville tomorrow and run the car with stock 18 tires and then install 18" slicks, for those that question the 17 Cobra R's with Nitto slicks.
Help me understand this Dennis, I am confused.

Driving the 1320 on 18" wheels and tires gets you a number, and driving it on 17" wheels and tires gets you a lower number. Isn't that smart racing? I mean, isn't a lower number/faster car good?

So, in someone's opinion, it's okay to gear up, add a torque converter, Denso plugs, chip, and supercharger, but adding faster wheels and tires is what...cheating? LOL..My Lord!

Anyone who objected to 17" wheels and tires has got their desktop racing head up their desktop racing azz. Tell them to kiss off! Whether it's a one-on-one race, or just a run for my best time slip, I'd run bicycle wheels if necessary, to accomplish the goal.

I like to points you make to Merc, about this board being a place to learn new things through the exchange of opinion and 411, however, seems there is one idiot who just bounced off his limiter...

Run what's faster, 17" slicks is just one more mod leading to your best performance, and that's what counts...IMHO.

Dennis Reinhart
09-03-2003, 05:06 AM
I agree Mac but I just try and make evry thing clear as I can then there is no doubt as far as I am concern there is none any way ha ha

sailsmen
09-03-2003, 06:33 AM
Is it possible to have 17" wheels/slicks with the same diameter as OEM wheels/tires, meaning is someone selling it?

If not could your chip have an A/B switch A for the OEM wheels/tires shift point s and B for the 17" wheel/slicks shift points?

My thinking is you may have an owner that wants to use the OEM wheels when driving on the street and then switch to 17" wheel/slicks for the track.

I seem to remember a thread where someone found slicks for the OEM wheels, don't know if the wheel/tire diameter was still OEM.

Dennis Reinhart
09-03-2003, 07:24 AM
there are 18 nittos available

WhoMe
09-03-2003, 07:27 AM
Hell, I'd run it on ET Streets with 15" wheels if they will fit over the brakes!!! With more torque and only one person in the car it's going to roast the tires!!!! Did JW get the 1-2 right yet?

David

Dennis Reinhart
09-03-2003, 07:48 AM
Originally posted by WhoMe
Hell, I'd run it on ET Streets with 15" wheels if they will fit over the brakes!!! With more torque and only one person in the car it's going to roast the tires!!!! Did JW get the 1-2 right yet?

David

They will not fit they have to be 17"

Marauderer
09-04-2003, 07:06 AM
Mac, I think you missed part of the point and maybe so did Dennis. Or maybe there are just two diiferent issues at play here. Some want to know about stock tires for drivability, etc. Others want baseline performance statisitcs. I think everyone is very excited to see what Dennis can do for our cars and his price conscious effort at doing so. It's just that many of us have had one question unanswered for months now. What will the S-trim kit do for our stock cars without all the other mods? We all know where to go for the goodies and Dennis is the man, but as more and more SC kits become available, we want to be able to compare our options. Those should of course include, baseline performance increases for a bolt on kit. After that, we can always read for ourselves what he and others have done in addition to the basic SC kit to take it to the next level and factor that, the varying technologies, and cost into the equation.

SergntMac
09-04-2003, 05:57 PM
I don't think I missed anything here, not a comma.

Dennis Reinhart
09-05-2003, 05:32 AM
OK Marauder its been posted twice now you are missing it completely Zack's car on stock tires made 438 RWHP you will see the track times soon Keith's car on STOCK tires made 420 RWHP with less than 2000 miles on the car so there is your answer if you have any more questions why not call me I will be glad to answer all your questions. You have raised the same questions in two different posts, Call I can clear up the confusion 904-276-5003

Marauder57
09-05-2003, 06:43 AM
I am not sure....but are you asking for the exact HP increase? Like oh this SC kit will give you 858 additional HP? I think a decent baseline on the MM stock on a dyno has been right around 240 at the rear wheels....for some reason 242hp sticks in my head.

So if you start with a 242 and as Dennis said he got 420 with stock tires, Zack was at 438 then the HP increase is 178 or 196 for that particular MM. But obviously this is not an exact science...some MM's have had higher HP numbers on the Dyno depending upon break in etc....so the same assumption could be made that the amount of HP you get from any SC would depend in a part with break-in, Miles on the car, etc.

When Dennis originally put in the SC on the MM he got 467RWHP which is a 225HP gain....but with tuning and proper adjustments...(he has stated in other posts if not this one) he tuned the SC for about 420RWHP. That is a nice improvement and a safe working number for the car....which I think is pretty commendable....if Dennis wanted to sell numbers..he could have left it at 467...but it is about safety, longevity, and care for this great car...

Remember Dennis has an MM as his daily driver...it is his baby and he has a genuine interest in the MM and it's success and mods...when he makes a kit or change...he is thinking...this is what I would want on my car....

As far as Daily Drivers go...I think Dennis is the only one who could say that he has driven 4 or so different MM's in the same day.... :D

But above in these 2 cases each MM got some pretty serious HP gains from the Vortech Kit......if you figure the (20% rule for RWHP to Flywheel) 420RWHP is about 500 Flywheel.....not too Shabby!

Marauderer
09-05-2003, 07:40 AM
I am not questioning Dennis, his abilities, his ethics, his skill, or anything else. I have just been very curious about what 0-60 and 1/4 mile times his s-trim "kit" in its entirety will do for an otherwise stock Marauder. I'm very impressed with the HP numbers, but those don't paint the entire picture for me. Like I was told in the "other" thread, this hasn't been done yet. I accept that, but lay off me when I am asking a member of this site a very simple question.. "Is your car stock, are you adding just the kit at this time, and what did it do?" Is this information privileged? Is it not acceptable to post it here? Will logan disapprove? Is it something I should PM people about? Call you when you say you haven't done it yet? For gods sake why is this so complicated and why do I have to have ill intentions or some evil and twisted plot to ask such a simple question? Edit me, quote me, beat me up, delete me, I give up, its like pulling teeth with a spoon.

Dennis Reinhart
09-05-2003, 07:49 AM
Enough Maraauder call me, I have posted track times with 17" wheels KB has posted his with stock wheels you do the math I am over 50 RWHP. I will be faster with stock tires I believe the car should be mid 12's we are in a tropical depresion here so I won't be able to take the car to Gainesville, I will post these when I can. Or maybe Zack can this weekend. Now you have had your say leave it till we post the numbers. I am asking the other members to just wait lets not have a circle jerk over this, and I dont want the the thread locked.

SouLRioT
09-05-2003, 08:12 AM
Ok, let me see if i can help here. Marauderer from what I've read is also interested in the trilogy SC, and they say you can put their kit on a "stock" car and get thier numbers. What he wants to see the same info from the Reinhart SC. But what I've read here and talk with Dennis and Steve about is that his kit is not designed with that idea in mind. IMHO The Reinhart
plan is to improve our car step by step. With most goining to stage 1 first, but others can go to things like sway bar and brakes first if they want. Reinhart is always improving and refining his mods also. I feel you will get more ideas on what people think but if you want a kit to stick on your stock mm then you have trilogy's SC. If you want a SC that has a lot of safty thought into it and had in mind that all of these other mods would be used then you have the Reinhart SC.

FYI this is in now way a flame to anyone or their products.
But I feel anyone who gets trilogy's SC should up grade their safty by getting brakes sway bar, ect..

SergntMac
09-05-2003, 08:38 AM
One of the points made in the "other" thread, was that it is increasingly more difficult to find a bone stock MM for supercharging. Seems that everyone who is interested in S/C, has other mods in place, or, looks upon the other mods as preparation for the S/C to come. With that in mind, Marauderer's question is truly difficult to respond to, and sadly, many here would remark any silence as negative. Catch 22...No one want to offer anything less that an honest answer, and the honest answer, is that there isn't an answer...IMHO

Dennis Reinhart
09-05-2003, 08:59 AM
Thanks Mac I agree lets just wait and see what Zack and mine track times are, and lets all have a good weekend mine I am afraid will be very wett

FLMARAUDER
09-05-2003, 09:21 AM
Dennis,

Thanks for the rides in both of your marauders last week. I want to do the following mods with you,plugs,chip,stat,coated iron manifolds and x pipe w/cats, and gears. before you install these items I want to dyno the car(1,300 miles and stock). Where can I get my marauder on a dyno, I live in Debary, Fl. but travel all of Fl. regularly Also, have a nitrous kit from BG fuel in the mail. will you install? Also need fuel system upgrade. I want the a/f set up right so my pistons dont look like the one on your office desk!

Thanks,

Ed L.

Dennis Reinhart
09-05-2003, 09:23 AM
Well just call me, ZEX called me yesterday I am not a big fan of N20 but they want me to try there wet hit, so I will give it a shot, no pun intended

jgc61sr2002
09-05-2003, 05:24 PM
FLMARAUDER - Welcome to the site the best on the net. When it comes to the Marauder, Dennis is the man.:bows: :D