PDA

View Full Version : A novel theory...

Svashtar
07-04-2008, 09:56 PM
OK, not trolling, and no interest in getting flamed. This is a legitimate question:

Is it possible that after a full art carr tranny rebuild the car is actually .... slower?! :confused:

I know the tranny is now bulletproof. It locks up like a vault now. Shifts are hammerin', firm and quick. None of that slippy taking forever to shift. I also added the PI 3000. But my mileage went down almost 2 mpg. Doesn't that mean the tranny is now so tight that the power transfer to the wheels is actually less than it was?

Or does it just take me more RPM to get to the same place. ? Is that the same thing? At 80 the engine is like 2800 RPM. I'm sure before the trans work it was maybe 2500 tops.

I didn't buy this for high mileage, so I don't care about that. I'm simply thinking engine-trans-wheels, and the stronger trans now means the engine can't get as much power to the wheels in the long run. Do you think?

Please correct my thinking, thanks!

Norm

Windsor58
07-04-2008, 09:59 PM
Sounds like your torque converter isn't locking up. Do you feel it locking/unlocking on the highway? Mine does that. I need to figure out how to make mine stay locked under low power settings on the highway at cruise.

Windsor58
07-04-2008, 10:00 PM
By that I meant figuring out how to change the tune to make it stay locked.

Jolly Roger
07-04-2008, 11:37 PM
OK, not trolling, and no interest in getting flamed. This is a legitimate question:

Is it possible that after a full art carr tranny rebuild the car is actually .... slower?! :confused:

I know the tranny is now bulletproof. It locks up like a vault now. Shifts are hammerin', firm and quick. None of that slippy taking forever to shift. I also added the PI 3000. But my mileage went down almost 2 mpg. Doesn't that mean the tranny is now so tight that the power transfer to the wheels is actually less than it was?

Or does it just take me more RPM to get to the same place. ? Is that the same thing? At 80 the engine is like 2800 RPM. I'm sure before the trans work it was maybe 2500 tops.

I didn't buy this for high mileage, so I don't care about that. I'm simply thinking engine-trans-wheels, and the stronger trans now means the engine can't get as much power to the wheels in the long run. Do you think?

Please correct my thinking, thanks!

Norm

Tune for converter.

Svashtar
07-05-2008, 02:24 AM
Tune for converter.

Yeah, I thought I had, a couple of times.

So the RPM's should be lower? Can someone explain generally how the new tune would behave?

I've never been able to tell if the thing is locked or unlocked, despite info here. I just take off and it shifts right away, hard, and RPM's are higher across the board than before all the work...

Norm

OneBADLsE
07-05-2008, 06:54 AM
One way to tell is if you're on the highway traveling over 60 mph, now when you hit the gas do the RPMS go up with your speed or do they just go up with a gentle "squeeze" of the throttle?When your TC is locked rpms should only change with speed, not just pushing the throttle.

TC lockup should feel like another shift. With a stock tune it usually occurs between 38-42 mph. Revs should drop dramatically also right away.

Its kinda difficult to explain, but if you know your car, you should have an idea of what im talking about ;)

Svashtar
07-06-2008, 02:57 PM
One way to tell is if you're on the highway traveling over 60 mph, now when you hit the gas do the RPMS go up with your speed or do they just go up with a gentle "squeeze" of the throttle?When your TC is locked rpms should only change with speed, not just pushing the throttle.

TC lockup should feel like another shift. With a stock tune it usually occurs between 38-42 mph. Revs should drop dramatically also right away.

Its kinda difficult to explain, but if you know your car, you should have an idea of what im talking about ;)

Thank you and this helps. I definitely feel an extra "shift" right at 40. With the tune I just downloaded this was much more pronounced, and a bit irritating as the TC locked and unlocked again and again if I was stuck at that speed. The older tune did it as well at about 38 or 39 but was less pronounced.

So at 40 that's the TC unlocking?

I'll check the perfomance at freeway speeds. Guess I had always assumed that stepping on the gas _always_ increased both RPM's AND speed!

N.