PDA

View Full Version : Stainless steel brake line installation?

studio460
07-05-2008, 06:31 PM
Hey, Marauder fans!

I just received my stainless steel brake lines from Todd at TCE. Thanks, Todd! But, I didn't realize that there were two different vendors, selling two different sets of SS brake lines!?!? I saw in Dennis' thread, that he mentioned something about waiting on some bracket fabrication. Do I need brackets for the TCE lines? Are there any notable differences between the two vendors' products? Also, if anyone knows of a particularly detailed thread on their proper installation, I would appreciate the head's up!

fastblackmerc
07-05-2008, 06:36 PM
If you got the lines from TCE there should be brackets, lines, clips and washers I believe.

studio460
07-05-2008, 06:39 PM
Oh, duh! I just opened the package. It was so small, I thought I needed something else. There are installation instructions, and all the necessary bracketry included. The kit and lines look GREAT! Thanks for the FAST shipping, Todd! The instructions are simple enough, but I'm not sure of some of the terms. If anyone has pictures of their TCE stainless steel brake line install, that would be great!

sounnder
07-05-2008, 07:30 PM
Any chance that after you do the install you can do a writeup with some pictures and opinions on the kit?

Thanks

fastblackmerc
07-06-2008, 08:31 AM
Any chance that after you do the install you can do a writeup with some pictures and opinions on the kit?

Thanks

Write up:

Open the package
Read & understand the instructions
Remove the old hoses & hardware one corner at a time
Replace the old hoses & hardware with the new hoses & hardware
Bleed the brakes
THE END

Todd TCE
07-06-2008, 09:01 AM
The brackets will match the oem brackets that are swedged onto the ends of the rubber lines. Just match them up. If you're uncomfortable with this still, please seek out some professional help as bleeding of the brakes will also be required.

*And if you poke around here somewhere there are pictures up already.

studio460
07-06-2008, 11:17 PM
I actually found some decent pictures in another thread HERE (http://mercurymarauder.net/forums/showthread.php?t=43291), but it won't be any trouble to take some new ones when I do my install. I'll do a little write-up as well.

The brackets will match the oem brackets that are swedged onto the ends of the rubber lines. Just match them up. If you're uncomfortable with this still, please seek out some professional help as bleeding of the brakes will also be required.
I think I'm capable enough to foul this all up all by myself! I had just never heard of the term, "banjo bolt," and I didn't know that those "normal" wrenches in the tool box were actually called "line wrenches." It looks pretty simple, so I'm sure I'll piece it together without much trouble. Thanks again, Todd!

Todd TCE
07-07-2008, 04:33 AM
A line wrench is not the standard box wrench in your tool box. CAUTION: use the proper tool here or have problems. Take a trip to Napa if or Sears for this item please. Don't recall the size, maybe some one can chime in.

magindat
07-07-2008, 07:55 AM
A line wrench is not the standard box wrench in your tool box. CAUTION: use the proper tool here or have problems. Take a trip to Napa if or Sears for this item please. Don't recall the size, maybe some one can chime in.

Take the bolt to Sears and buy yourself a set of line wrenches. They are not an often used tool, but nice to have when called for.

fastblackmerc
07-07-2008, 08:06 AM
The "banjo" bolt is the bolt that goes thru the block and into the caliper. Either a socket or wrench of the appropriate size will work.

You will need a "line" wrench to remove the brake line from the hose (do this while it's still in the bracket and the bracket is attached to the frame). The I believe the brake line nuts are metric so get yourself a set of metric line wrenches. Double check that they are metric and not SAE.

If you have any problems PM me for my cell number and I'll walk you thru it.

DOOM
07-07-2008, 08:53 AM
I posted pics when i did my install. I think their still in the main photo gallery. BTW you made an excellent decision on brake lines ( high quality stuff ) one of my best mods.

studio460
07-09-2008, 12:25 AM
Thanks for all the tips, guys! Had to wait until next weekend anyway to bleed the brakes, etc. Yeah, I never heard of a line wrench. Guess I'm no mechanic. Although, I do like buying tools. I guess I'm off to Sears to buy a set of line wrenches. Does anyone know if it's metric or imperial? Actually, I happen to have an accurate set of digtial calipers (micrometer) that I can measure it with. It reads out either imperial or metric. Will post the measurements here when I get to this project, this weekend, I hope.

Krytin
07-09-2008, 06:30 AM
It's metric.

captain
07-09-2008, 08:06 AM
Did this one recently. A word of advice.. inspect your work after a week, to insure the lines are not rubbing. Had to flip the banjo/block/bolt upside down to clear. You will notice the banjo has an accentric (bend) I pointed mine the wrong way.

Embassy
07-09-2008, 12:13 PM
I might be installing a set on the rear this Saturday.

What brake fluid do most on here recommend?

fastblackmerc
07-09-2008, 12:30 PM
i might be installing a set on the rear this saturday.

what brake fluid do most on here recommend?

dot 3

Embassy
07-09-2008, 08:01 PM
Thanks. Any brands recommended over others?

studio460
07-10-2008, 08:59 PM
It's metric.
Thanks, man! Saved me some hassle! Anyone know the size?

Did this one recently. A word of advice.. inspect your work after a week, to insure the lines are not rubbing. Had to flip the banjo/block/bolt upside down to clear. You will notice the banjo has an accentric (bend) I pointed mine the wrong way.
Thanks for the head's up! I'll post some pictures after so you can "check my work!"

What brake fluid do most on here recommend?
Someone said Valvoline earlier. I just bought three quarts of Castrol "GTLMA" synthetic brake fluid at Pep Boys. Funny thing is, it doesn't indicate a DOT rating—all it says is, "exceeds DOT3 and DOT4 specs." The only other brand they had was some Prestone stuff that was about a dollar-a-quart cheaper. I went the Castrol, just in case it's somehow "better." Who knows?