PDA

View Full Version : Which tuner to get?

MarauderVOL
07-10-2008, 05:44 AM
There are several choices out there. I'm just looking for something simple that I can plug in and wake up the car just a little bit. The only mods to my car are a JLT CAI and Flowmaster mufflers. So what's the best 1 to get? Reinhart tune, Lidio tune, Diablo Predator tune, Superchips, Hypertech, etc.? Thanks ahead of time for everyone's help.:)

jonroe
07-10-2008, 06:26 AM
A lot of people here (me included) use either Reinhart's tune or Lidio's tune with the Xcal2, now Xcal3. I think most everyone is quite pleased with either of these. Jon

ckadiddle
07-10-2008, 06:27 AM
Reinhart's or Lidio's. Disregard any others.

SC Cheesehead
07-10-2008, 06:54 AM
Reinhart's or Lidio's. Disregard any others.

These are by far the two most popular, and a tune from either one will make a big difference in performance.

FWIT, I've got a Reinhart tune in mine and am pleased with it.

SCCH

fastblackmerc
07-10-2008, 07:04 AM
IMHO... contact Lidio & Dennis, talk to both of them explaining how you want your car to run & any mods that you've done.

SILVERSURFER03
07-10-2008, 07:16 AM
lidio lidio thats the one i have and im very very pleased

Eric-Blk2004
07-10-2008, 07:17 AM
Or just get a dyno tune and call it a day, thats what I did.

Dyno tunes from an experienced tuner are superior to tunes over the counter. Each car is different and as a result over the counter tunes "have more love" to ensure they are safe no matter what. The tuners could have the same knowledge, skills, experience, but it is a lot easier to tune the car in front of you then over the phone, via emails, or what have you. A dyno tune will take full advantage of your car and leave nothing on the table while still being safe. In additon you have more control with a Dyno tune, you can take it out for a test drive and retune if you want different things adjusted.

I am not saying you can not do this with over the counter tunes - it is just easier when everything needed is right in front of you.

I would do a search for tuners in your area that are experienced with mustangs/cobras. Call them and ask them if they are familiar with the marauder - they should be the car is pretty much identical, and then go from there. Just make sure you find one that has a good reputation and track record.

If not then just flip a dime because all over the counter tunes are the same more or less - until you call them and tell them to change x,y,z.

freakstatus
07-10-2008, 07:19 AM
Check this out:

http://www.alternativeauto.com/prodserv/marauder_tune.html

vkirkend
07-10-2008, 07:19 AM
lidio lidio thats the one i have and im very very pleased

Ditto but either Lidio or Reinhart is the way to go...;)

ctrlraven
07-10-2008, 08:08 AM
Ditto but either Lidio or Reinhart is the way to go...;)

Don't forget Zack :burnout:

Zack
07-10-2008, 08:12 AM
Don't forget Zack :burnout:

Yes, I can also provide you with a tune.
In fairness to the other vendors, I have to charge you for it.

My price would be $40 for an electronic tune via email.

KillJoy
07-10-2008, 08:39 AM
There are several choices out there. I'm just looking for something simple that I can plug in and wake up the car just a little bit. The only mods to my car are a JLT CAI and Flowmaster mufflers. So what's the best 1 to get? Reinhart tune, Lidio tune, Diablo Predator tune, Superchips, Hypertech, etc.? Thanks ahead of time for everyone's help.:)

Check out THIS (http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forums/search.php) link.....

I am SURE you will find the answer you are looking for.

:up:

KillJoy

freakstatus
07-10-2008, 08:47 AM
Yes, I can also provide you with a tune.
In fairness to the other vendors, I have to charge you for it.

My price would be $40 for an electronic tune via email.

Curious, would he still need to buy a handheld device (Xcal etc) or is there a way to upload the tune without one?

Zack
07-10-2008, 08:52 AM
Curious, would he still need to buy a handheld device (Xcal etc) or is there a way to upload the tune without one?

He would need to buy a tuner.

I can buy from SCT and sell them for much lower than everyone else, but again, Im not a business and dont want to go down that road.

KillJoy
07-10-2008, 08:52 AM

Uhhh.... how would he send a Tuner via email?

:dunno:

Of course a Handheld Tuner would be needed....

KillJoy

DOOM
07-10-2008, 09:01 AM
You will be happy with either lidio or dr's tune. Im using lidio's tune as well as mostly all of the MARYLAND C.A.M guys. You cant go wrong with either one.

MarauderVOL
07-10-2008, 09:24 AM
After looking at previous threads and all of your recent answers I just placed my order with Dennis. Thanks everyone for all of your answers and help. I must say I love this car and this site rocks.

Bluerauder
07-10-2008, 10:06 AM
You will be happy with either lidio or dr's tune. Im using lidio's tune as well as mostly all of the MARYLAND C.A.M guys. You cant go wrong with either one.
I am a Virginia CAM guy and I have the SCT Live Wire and DR's tune and I am happy with it. :D The fact that I won it in the MV5 raffle makes me even happier. :up:

freakstatus
07-10-2008, 01:07 PM
Uhhh.... how would he send a Tuner via email?

:dunno:

Of course a Handheld Tuner would be needed....

KillJoy

Sorry, I should have further clarified....I thought if there was a cable that could connect a laptop directly to the cars OBD port you technically bypass the use of the actual device (and save a couple hundred bucks).

mherman18
07-11-2008, 09:02 AM
How much does Lido's or DR's tune bump up the horsepower and like the fellow said wouldn't a dyno tune be better. I want a tune just don't know what route to go.

freakstatus
07-11-2008, 10:28 AM
How much does Lido's or DR's tune bump up the horsepower and like the fellow said wouldn't a dyno tune be better. I want a tune just don't know what route to go.

Lidios should be good for about 20 at the wheels. I'm not sure about DR's.

Bradley G
07-11-2008, 02:20 PM
That's a heafty claim, not saying yours didn't gain that.
The best part of Lidios tune is the manners the transmission behave by.
I had a situation with my first DR tune, under heavy accelleration, lifted my foot off the the gas pedal and the car shifted like I had my foot to the floor.
I felt like I lost control of the car momentarily,

Lidios should be good for about 20 at the wheels. I'm not sure about DR's.

jonroe
07-11-2008, 03:25 PM
See this for Lidio's data.

http://www.alternativeauto.com/prodserv/marauder_tune.html

Jon

Aren Jay
07-15-2008, 07:08 PM
For most of us data means next to nothing. A bunch of line in a chart....

A search will find explainations of the tunes and how the tuners will set stuff up for you.

It really depends on you, how you drive and what you want.

cougar9150
07-15-2008, 07:54 PM
I bought a used Predator which was fine if thats all I was going to do. It doesn't allow the the user to access all the menu's/features that are advertised on a MM. Such as I just got a gear swap done, and now I have to pay for a tune to swap gear ratio's, I can't access the menu for the MM. I will be getting a tune via email from Scott Beer for it until we can setup some dyno time. When I have the funds I will be switching to an SCT tuner and sticking with Scott.

doyounochef
10-04-2008, 11:21 PM
I though that Zack had a shop mmmmmmm I am lost

HBTMD
10-04-2008, 11:53 PM
Looks like there are several reputable tuners listed on this site.

I have been very happy with Dennis Reinhart. He provides an excellent tune at a great price as well as over the phone personnel support as well as prompt support on this site should you have any questions at all.

When you call Dennis Reinhart you actually get to speak to Dennis Reinhart.

I like that and will go out of my way to purchase from him whenever possible.

As they say "Quality, Service and Price. Pick any two." With Reinhart you actually get all three. Reinhart Rocks!!! :rock:

Bimmerm3
04-02-2011, 03:12 AM
How much are these handheld tunes ?

fastblackmerc
04-02-2011, 03:56 AM

Call either Lidio or DR for prices on a TUNER and a tune.

SC Cheesehead
04-02-2011, 05:53 AM

Call either Lidio or DR for prices on a TUNER and a tune.

+1

Very easy, plug 'n play.

Dennis Reinhart
04-02-2011, 11:56 AM
how much are these handheld tunes ?

379.95 free shipping free upgrades

MercNasty
04-02-2011, 12:04 PM
Im happy with my diablo predator for now. got it off ebay for $180

Dennis Reinhart
04-02-2011, 12:35 PM
Im happy with my diablo predator for now. got it off ebay for $180

Thats all that is important is that you are happy.

jstevens
04-02-2011, 01:11 PM
Thats all that is important is that you are happy.

Did it come preloaded with an experienced MM tune? Will they tweak the tune for no charge?

SC Cheesehead
04-02-2011, 01:32 PM
Did it come preloaded with an experienced MM tune? Will they tweak the tune for no charge?

Doubtful; that's why you buy from a guy like Dennis. Service after the sale.

Mr. Man
04-02-2011, 02:04 PM
I was reading (perhaps incorrectly) on SCT's web site that if you purchase their tuner from anyone it comes with a tune and the capability to change gear ratios etc.. SCT made it sound like they provide a tune for your specific make car. SCT also said that the tuner can hold up to 3 custom tunes. Now the question, do Reinhart and Lido's tunes take up a custom slot or do they tweak SCT original tune and leave the 3 slots open for taking your car to a dyno shop or something else?:confused:

LANDY
04-02-2011, 03:15 PM
I was reading (perhaps incorrectly) on SCT's web site that if you purchase their tuner from anyone it comes with a tune and the capability to change gear ratios etc.. SCT made it sound like they provide a tune for your specific make car. SCT also said that the tuner can hold up to 3 custom tunes. Now the question, do Reinhart and Lido's tunes take up a custom slot or do they tweak SCT original tune and leave the 3 slots open for taking your car to a dyno shop or something else?:confused:
They do take up slots usually two one for 3.55 and one for 4.10 gears.
Still leaves you one slot for a custom dynotune.

Dennis Reinhart
04-02-2011, 03:18 PM

This is a generic tune, I would go with a expericed SCT dealer that is familar with the application, Lidio as well as my self have been doing it since the car was made, I sold the first tune ever made for this car on this site.

Mr. Man
04-02-2011, 04:53 PM
This is a generic tune, I would go with a experienced SCT dealer that is familiar with the application, Lidio as well as my self have been doing it since the car was made, I sold the first tune ever made for this car on this site.
So your tune will fill one of the custom tune slots or do you replace the generic and there are still 3 slots left?

Dennis Reinhart
04-02-2011, 05:02 PM
So your tune will fill one of the custom tune slots or do you replace the generic and there are still 3 slots left?

Yes that way you can compare it to what you have.

CWright
04-02-2011, 07:03 PM
Dennis just upgraded mine as well for no charge. Got it tuned by him originally in 2008 all bone stock. S/C came in 09 with a new tune. If you ever get ready to go with upgrade he'd be the one I'd recommend. He's always taken good care of me.