PDA

View Full Version : Scraping noise

I Tried
07-15-2008, 06:16 AM
I have a 2003 300A I get a scraping noise form the bellhousing area on acceleration. Car has to be in gear forward or reverse. Will not do it in N or park.

I pulled the transmission and pulled the torque converter and the flexplate and the tin shield and nothing is rubbing.

It sounds like the flex plate would be hitting something.

Can anybody help?

Tim

Zack
07-15-2008, 06:34 AM
How bout a converter heat shield rattling?

I Tried
07-15-2008, 08:00 AM
It is rotational and changes when I power brake the car. It is something rubbing.

Jolly Roger
07-15-2008, 08:58 AM
Could be the starter drive trying to engage the flywheel because the retaining mechanism has gone bad.

I Tried
07-15-2008, 09:53 AM
It will only do it in gear. I would think the starter would do it all the time

I just ordered a used transmission. I am going to install that for now so I can get the car back on the road and send out the converter and have it checked. If that is ok I will go into the transmission to find out what happend.

The car is paid for and not going anywhere so having a extra transmission is nice.:D

Tim

larryo340
07-15-2008, 02:14 PM
Could be the starter drive trying to engage the flywheel because the retaining mechanism has gone bad.
^^^^^^^+1
Or even a crack in the flyweel?

It will only do it in gear. I would think the starter would do it all the time
Tim

May only happen under a load.

imorb1994
07-15-2008, 07:18 PM
^^^^^^^+1
Or even a crack in the flyweel?

May only happen under a load.

Just to clarify and for my peace of mind its a Flexplate(automatic trans) not a flywheel(manual trans) :rolleyes:

Stranger in the Black Sedan
07-16-2008, 08:46 AM
parts guides list flex plates as flywheels sometimes, that's acceptable terminology

larryo340
07-16-2008, 09:42 AM
Just to clarify and for my peace of mind its a Flexplate(automatic trans) not a flywheel(manual trans) :rolleyes:

"Description: The flywheel for most automatic transmissions/transaxles is simply a stamped-steel disc with a ring gear located at the outer edge for engagement with the starter’s pinion gear. With this type of flywheel, the torque converter has no ring gear. Some cars use a more modest flywheel known as a flexplate, which is all that’s needed because the torque converter itself has a ring gear located on its outer edge"

To me it's a flywheel as long as it's got teeth on it:
http://www.maxchevy.com/tech/2007/ii_11-clutch/10-010.jpg
My old Mopar had a flex plate, no teeth :http://jacksautoparts.com/catalog/transmission/flexplate.jpg

Most of us will know which one you are talking about with either word.

KillJoy
07-16-2008, 09:44 AM
In that case... The MM has a Flywheel.

:rolleyes:

KillJoy

larryo340
07-16-2008, 09:52 AM
In that case... The MM has a Flywheel.

:rolleyes:

KillJoy

:lol:

I'm not trying to be a sticker for terminolgy, just showing either word is acceptable ;).

I Tried
07-17-2008, 06:53 AM
Converter is on its way to be checked and the used trans is in the car and it is back on the road.

This car is my wife's daily driver in summer. I got a call this morning asking if I could get another 3500 stall converter for this transmission.:D

She said it is not near as fun to drive.:banana2:

I love my wife!!!! :beatnik:

Tim

JACook
07-25-2008, 10:15 AM
To me it's a flywheel as long as it's got teeth on it:

A flywheel's primary job is rotational inertia. All other functions are secondary.
A flywheel, with or without a ring gear or clutch, is still a flywheel.

A flexplate's primary job is to attach a torque converter to the crankshaft, and
compensate for minor misalignment between the two. A flexplate, with or without
a ring gear is still a flexplate. A flexplate, with or without a ring gear, has very
little rotational inertia (until you bolt a torque converter to it).

Is a Mopar torque converter a flywheel 'cause it's got a ring gear on it? :rolleyes:

larryo340
07-25-2008, 01:37 PM
The part of my post which you so kindly left out

Most of us will know which one you are talking about with either word.

This entire post which you never acknowledged

I'm not trying to be a sticker for terminolgy, just showing either word is acceptable ;).

Your entire response to this small part of my post:

To me it's a flywheel as long as it's got teeth on it.

A flywheel's primary job is rotational inertia. All other functions are secondary.
A flywheel, with or without a ring gear or clutch, is still a flywheel.

A flexplate's primary job is to attach a torque converter to the crankshaft, and
compensate for minor misalignment between the two. A flexplate, with or without
a ring gear is still a flexplate. A flexplate, with or without a ring gear, has very
little rotational inertia (until you bolt a torque converter to it).

Is a Mopar torque converter a flywheel 'cause it's got a ring gear on it? :rolleyes:

If you want to "Quote" me don't just pick out one sentence out of a statement to change the context of what I said use the entire "Quote" !!!

I'll repeat:

By the way,
Do you drive on parkways, and park on driveways ?? :P

I AM just kidding with you... life's too short :beer:

imorb1994
07-25-2008, 06:06 PM
Everybody just chill they are just words. flywheel, flexplate who really cares im sure everybody has their own opinon on what their car contains.

In my line of work Allison automatic truck transmissions 1000,2000,3000,5000 series have Flexplates and torque converters.

on ther other hand eaton, fuller, spicer all have their own version of an automated manual transmission with cluthes with flywheels. kind hard for a 16" clutch disc to hold something like the above pictured items.
I know that this info i just put forth has no use to anybody but thats where i have my info from.

Ps. i tried to find pictures of what i call each in the truck world and a no go. Next time i have one of each out on the floor at work i'll shoot some pics