PDA

View Full Version : Procharger vs. Vortech

freakstatus
07-15-2008, 05:26 PM
I was just curious as to what the differences are between these two kits? Is it just the brand? What are the pros and cons of each one?

I know DR sells the Vortech kits, but does anyone sell the brand new Marauder Procharger kit (is FIT still around)?

Aren Jay
07-15-2008, 05:32 PM
I don't think FIT supports marauders anymore.

However DR may, he is selling other SC's now.

Best Idea is to ask him.

ChiTownMaraud3r
07-15-2008, 05:47 PM
Prochargers are self-lubricated. While vortech I believe is barely working on one that doesn't involve tapping into your engine oil to keep it oiled.

Why does it have to be FIT? Can't you just get an ATI procharger and enough custom piping for it?

Raudermaster
07-15-2008, 08:40 PM
Prochargers are self-lubricated. While vortech I believe is barely working on one that doesn't involve tapping into your engine oil to keep it oiled.

Why does it have to be FIT? Can't you just get an ATI procharger and enough custom piping for it?

Actually, since Vortech owns Paxton (who does a lot of self-lubbing apps.) they are incorporating them into their own blowers now too. For example, my V-3 is a self-lubbed head unit as I told Dennis specifically that's what I wantd. You will be seeing more of their stuff I think in the self contained department.

offroadkarter
07-15-2008, 10:54 PM
I don't think FIT supports marauders anymore.

Greg just left the site, he still sells his kits

magindat
07-16-2008, 05:26 AM
Major differences between DR kits and FIT kits.

1) Procharger = self lubed, vortech = tap oil, Paxton = self lubed

2) Procharger = easier mount, but transmits vibration to block setting off knock sensors. Paxton/vortech = more complicated mounting, but no vibration transfer.

3) DR kit = welded pipes - one way to mount. FIT kit = enough pipes to mount IC under car with scoop or behind bumper.

3) DR kit = bigger intercooler. FIT kit = smaller intercooler - works awesome in 'scoop mode', not as well behind the bumper.

4) DR kit = blow thru MAF - better throttle response, more predicatable power, spot-on tune. FIT kit = suck through MAF. Works well right out of the box when not modifying kit. Pegs if more mods (usually).

The best kit in the world - in my opinion - is a mosh between DR's ways and FIT's ways. I started with FIT for 2 reasons 1) I'd done 2 of them already and 2) Self lubed (DR didn't have that available at the time). I have since worked with Dennis to do a blow-thru MAF (only Blow-Thru Procharges Marauder - so far) and I love it.

One very positive thing I can say is that both gentlemen put out awesome kits and provide terrific service. These days, I give the nod to Dennis because he continues to develop, refine and innovate while the FIT kit has not evolved since, I belive kit number 9. That's no knock against Greg. He simply is involved with other business while Dennis' main business is performance Fords.

There you have it. 3 years of messin with these things in one post...

burt ragio
07-16-2008, 05:49 AM
Out of the ones mentioned which one spins up quicker offering more boost between 0 -4000 rpm ?

magindat
07-16-2008, 05:58 AM
Out of the ones mentioned which one spins up quicker offering more boost between 0 -4000 rpm ?

It's not a turbo. All 'spin up' the same since they are directly driven by the crankshaft.

All CAN boost at 1500-4000 RPM - just depends how deep your foot is in it.

All have relativley close abdiatic efficiency charts, although many argue that Procharger is slightly more efficient. I have watched similar cars get tuned side by side and seen little real-world difference.

freakstatus
07-16-2008, 07:29 AM
Awesome info, thanks!

Blackmobile
07-16-2008, 08:04 AM
The Vortech S trim output is 1000 CFM, where as the T Trim output is 1200 CFM.

Procharger P1SC (the standard unit) output is 1200 CFM, where as the D1SC (Upgraded unit) output is 1400 CFM.

If I'm not mistaken.

Local Boy
07-16-2008, 09:14 AM
:wave: Just a side note...Rich

On your 2nd point..."Transfer vibrations to the block, setting off knosk sensors"

I have no "vibrations", and thus stiil have my knock sensors functioning properly...:D

I would atribute those vibrations to alignment (belt) variances...

I worked really hard to get mine "spot on"...

ALOHA

BTW: I want that "Blow through" version...:D

magindat
07-16-2008, 12:31 PM
The Vortech S trim output is 1000 CFM, where as the T Trim output is 1200 CFM.

Procharger P1SC (the standard unit) output is 1200 CFM, where as the D1SC (Upgraded unit) output is 1400 CFM.

If I'm not mistaken.

At a given RPM, pulley size and ambient temp.

T-Trim basically = D1SC

magindat
07-16-2008, 12:32 PM

On your 2nd point..."Transfer vibrations to the block, setting off knosk sensors"

I have no "vibrations", and thus stiil have my knock sensors functioning properly...:D

ALOHA

Yours would be the FIRST I've heard of. Way to go!!! :bows:

The blow thru really changes the car. You should do it.

Embassy
07-16-2008, 12:37 PM

ALOHA

Ditto. :beer:

Marauderjack
07-16-2008, 02:41 PM
No vibrations here either nor have I ever heard of such a problem!!:confused:

Marauderjack:burnout:

Motorhead350
07-16-2008, 02:58 PM
No problems so far, except about 3 belts going out on me in a month, but this was recently. The first belt lasted about 15,000 miles and the others were not placed in correctly.