PDA

View Full Version : Tranny Temps

Eric91Z
07-24-2008, 06:00 AM
Well, I finally did a little more driving in the Marauder over the last couple of days and noticed something. I currently have the dual Aeroforce gauge setup in the Marauder and I have the ScanGauge II in the daily driver '03 Crown Vic PI.

I keep a close eye on my tranny temps now. Both cars are stock with what they came from the factory with for tranny cooling. Both cars have had tranny flushes within the last year or less (Marauder just back in April).

Now, I drive the CVPI daily and tranny temps around town are usually in the 175-180 degree range unless it is really hot out and I have hte A/C on. In those cases it might start creeping up towards 190 degrees.

The other evening I had the Marauder out and was on a short drive to my favorite watering hole to do a little relaxing fishing. On the 5-10 miles worth of highway drive the tranny temp jumped to 199 degrees and pretty much sat there the whole time. I was running over 65mph, so car was in OD and TC should have been locked (running just over 2000 rpm on the tach). Same thing driving back when I was done and it was a good 10-15 degrees cooler outside by then, but temps still at 199 degrees for the tranny. Then driving around yesterday and noticed it was sitting around 190 or so degrees for in-town driving with no A/C turned on.

So, any thoughts why the Marauder is seeing higher tranny temps than the Crown Vic PI does? This is under normal driving, little to no WOT. Do the PI cars get an extra tranny cooler or something?

If nothing else, it is even more of a reason to get off my bum and install the FRPP tranny cooler I have been sitting on for over a year now...

sailsmen
07-24-2008, 06:29 AM
I had the OEM removed, cut off the PS cooler and mounted it to the sway bar.

I then mounted a trans cooler behind the front grill.

What the OEM is doing is throwing the heat from the A/C, PS and Trans on the radiator. The eng cost more so I protect it first.

We are surounded by water so the traffic is bumper and the humidity is high so the a/c works hard all equals a strain on the radiator.

Zack
07-24-2008, 06:32 AM
Eric, your temps are normal.
The cooler will lower the temps by about 20 degrees or more.

A really hot day will bring the temps back up though.

Eric91Z
07-24-2008, 06:50 AM
Eric, your temps are normal.
The cooler will lower the temps by about 20 degrees or more.

A really hot day will bring the temps back up though.

I was a little concerned about the tranny temps in the Marauder, but was actually more curious about the difference in temps for what should be close to the same tranny 4r70w vs. 4r75w and the Marauder having a smaller TC. Just chalk it up to the difference between two cars?

Eric91Z
07-24-2008, 08:06 AM
OK, so I can't remember from the last time I look at the Marauder. Does the Marauder actually have a separate tranny cooler already or is it part of the radiator? I know we have lines running up there that I will connect to for the FRPP cooler I am going to install on the return line, but can't remember for sure if the Marauder, stock, has a separate cooler or part of the radiator.

Can someone answer that question for me?

Thanks.

Zack
07-24-2008, 08:27 AM
The Trans Cooler and PS cooler are one unit, inbetween the condenser and radiator.
They share different plumbing within the same housing.

Black_Noise
07-24-2008, 05:47 PM
i have the autometer trans temp gauge with the sending unit pulling a reading off the trans pan and i get readings more like your cvpi than ur MM, i usually rub 160-180 on the road going 60-70 mph

Marauderjack
07-25-2008, 03:49 AM
Where does the OBD-II port pick up trans temp??:cool4:

My ScanGauge reads between 190* and 202* in summer heat!!:confused:

Marauderjack:)

Marylandrauder
07-25-2008, 02:03 PM
I would like to know this too, because I have an infrared gun that after a long drive in the summer time I aim it at the bottom of the transmission pan and it reads 165 degrees, maybe it is taking the reading from the torque converter or somewhere else on the transmission.

Marauderjack
07-25-2008, 02:21 PM
BTW.....Mine was 211* today with ambient of about 90*???:cool:

I may have to move the PS/Trans cooler like Sailsmen described or dump 4 quarts every oil change (5K miles)!!:beer:

Marauderjack:burnout: