PDA

View Full Version : Clay barring for newbies?

tetsu
07-15-2002, 11:26 AM
Hi all,

My Marauder is my first really excellent car. I've spent long periods of time at the wash/wax section at the auto parts store and even more time reading the encyclopedic Zaino Bros website.

I'm still waffling on whether to go with Zaino or with Meguiars or Mothers. At my local store, the Mothers has an available clay bar. I definitely want to redo my wax and regardless of brand I go with I want to use a clay bar to get it extra special clean before I put my multiple coats of wax on.

Is there a good website that details clay bar detailing for newbies? Or perhaps someone here might share some personal expertise? I suspect that I wouldnt be the only person interested in this info.

The wax job I did 2 weeks ago has produced or exposed some annoying lines on my trunk.

Johnny

Logan
07-15-2002, 11:29 AM
Sigh... I'll go Zaino my Marauder and post the results... You'll be convinced... There is no other.. :)

tetsu
07-15-2002, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by Logan
Sigh... I'll go Zaino my Marauder and post the results... You'll be convinced... There is no other.. :)

HAHAHA!

Ok, Logan. That was just enough to push me over. I'm going to order the whole Zaino kit including a clay bar.

Will the clay come with some good instructions? I read the FAQ on their website but I still am not 100% clear on how the clay bar works. :(

Is the Zaino window stuff worthwhile also? I was looking for Rain-X but they dont have it at my Autoparts store.

Johnny

Logan
07-15-2002, 12:04 PM
I've never used the Zaino window stuff... How clean can a clean window be anyway? Hmmm... :)

Everything comes with pretty darn explicit instructions, just follow them to the letter and invest in high quality towels as it suggests, don't use crappy old towels.

Jim
07-15-2002, 12:16 PM
Johnny;

IMO, a clay bar is a clay bar... Run your hand over the paint; can you feel any small 'pips' or sharp bumps in the paint? The clay bar will remove 'em. I use the Mothers, because it's available.

Basically, you clean the car, then spray on a 'finishing' spray; it basically functions as a lubricant. Then you just gently rub the bar on the car; you'll actually feel it working (I sound like a dandruff shampoo ad!)

Look at the bar and you'll see stuff in it; pulls it right off the surface of the paint. Useful especially now to get the last of any rail dust off the paint.

As for the Zaino brand, I tend to believe it's high-quality stuff with an amazingly cult-like following; especially considering what a pain it is to order it!

As for the results, I tend to think that may be largely the result of the regime, rather than just the products?

Probably just me.

-Jim

Logan
07-15-2002, 12:17 PM
You're right Jim, it's as much the regimen as it is the product...

But, one can't argue with the results...

Impala SS AutoX
07-15-2002, 10:30 PM
Hello from another one of those "Impala Guys" :)

As for the "wax"....well, I'll put it this way. I use the Zaino on the paint. I use the "leftover" Meguiars on the backs of wheels and such :D. Once you go Zaino, you won't go back. In fact, just got done putting a coat on my "other" car (2002 Subaru WRX SportWagon) tonight.

For the clay bars : get the Zaino, Clay Magic, or Mothers. The Zaino is the best value (most clay for the $$$). The Meguiar's clay is CRAP, once you use it "back to back" with one of the others I listed, you'll throw out the Meguiars.

Gonna be VERY interested to see how the Marauder goes as far as aftermarket support. It's a nice car (my parents drive a 94 and 97 Grand Marquis), I need to go take a test drive :).

Larry Vogel
07-16-2002, 07:14 PM
Zaino? Never heard of it but will try it. I usally just put a glaze on it, forget the wax.