PDA

View Full Version : A glimmer of light...

magindat
08-08-2008, 05:54 PM
In an otherwise really crappy month...

Introducing the AVIC-F90BT in a Marauder.

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/showcase/files/3/5/4/8/DSCF6938.jpg

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/showcase/files/3/5/4/8/DSCF6939.jpg

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/showcase/files/3/5/4/8/DSCF6948.jpg

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/showcase/files/3/5/4/8/DSCF6951.jpg

Thanx, John. I needed it!!!!

BTW, this was bought and paid for long ago and before my current financial pain in the arse... please don't judge...

magindat
08-08-2008, 05:56 PM
The old and tired AVIC D-1 is going to Barry (CRUZTAKER) to tinker with.

I hope you get it working well, CHEAP, Barry. Enjoy!

Windsor58
08-08-2008, 06:31 PM
Looks nice! Let us know how you like it.

2,4shofast
08-08-2008, 06:50 PM
Very good choice...Very few head units anymore have green lighting. Looking good!

Windsor58
08-08-2008, 07:25 PM
How did the install go? Did you get any of the options, like satellite radio, or bluetooth? Where did you mount the gps antenna?

magindat
08-08-2008, 07:27 PM
How did the install go? Did you get any of the options, like satellite radio, or bluetooth? Where did you mount the gps antenna?

Antenna goes on the passenger dash, Chip. It's where I put all of them. This thing comes with bluetooth. Eventually I'll add XM. Got a reverse camera with it, but will wait for other changes to do that install.

Already had a D1 in the dash, so this was cake. Think I set a record at under an hour.

justbob
08-08-2008, 07:31 PM
Can i just say that i am jealous.

Drewstang
08-08-2008, 07:52 PM
Does Metra now make a double din kit for our dashes, or is more customization still in order?

illwood
08-08-2008, 09:36 PM
I can't wait to install mine tomorrow.

magindat
08-08-2008, 09:36 PM
Does Metra now make a double din kit for our dashes, or is more customization still in order?

Scoche. Call John. Read Sticky #1 in his forum. Booyah!

Marauderjack
08-09-2008, 03:31 AM
Cool but ???:confused:

HiHo
08-09-2008, 05:17 AM
Looks great!! Plan on doing mine today. Spent last night prepping the harhess.
Quick question... if you are not using a backup camera, do you need to hook up the reverse gear signal wire? It says it tells the nav unit if you are going backwards, but I don't plan on needing navigation while backing up. Not going that far.
Breaking in to the dash today... wish me luck!

CRUZTAKER
08-09-2008, 05:58 AM
The old and tired AVIC D-1 is going to Barry (CRUZTAKER) to tinker with.

I hope you get it working well, CHEAP, Barry. Enjoy!

The new one looks great!

Let me know where to find the surround for that unit.
I assume I will need it to complete the install.

magindat
08-09-2008, 06:18 AM
Cool but ???:confused:

I used a SWIX that required infrared. Remember this was 3 years ago before the plug-in SWIX.

I knew someone would notice that!

magindat
08-09-2008, 06:19 AM
I assume I will need it to complete the install.

You don't, really, but John has 'em.

Makadamian
08-09-2008, 06:25 AM
That is super clean Rich. Now Im having second thoughts on what HU to get.

magindat
08-09-2008, 06:30 AM
That is super clean Rich. Now Im having second thoughts on what HU to get.

Get this or a D3. Both look this clean and 'at home' in the car.

LVMarauder
08-09-2008, 05:53 PM
thats sweet. Does it have different visualizer styles, like windows media?

CWright
08-09-2008, 06:02 PM
Had this unit put in my 03 MM back when it first came out back in June:coolman:. The bluetooth works great. For me it is a little slow booting up but it works great other than that. You will definately enjoy! We used a interface to make the controller on the steering wheel still operate volume control and mode control. Not sure if you planned on hooking that up too. That was an 85.00 part but worth it to me. Good luck!!

HiHo
08-09-2008, 07:01 PM
Quote from magindat on D3 sticky thread...

"and the magic is revealed....

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/showcase/files/3/5/4/8/ford24.jpg

14 is the speed sensor and 18 is the signal from the steering wheel remote.

The rest are color coded to match your radio harness if you purchase an adapter harness.

For all AVIC models... DO NOT connect any illumination (orange or orange/white) wires. AVICs have an automatic light sensor built in."

Question... with the AVIC F90BT, did you connect the illumination or did your D3 experience above apply?
I got the harness assembled and removed the factory radio this evening. Found that I needed to trim off the upper and lower lips of the opening. Got it to slide in so will tackle the hookups and setting up the steering wheel controls.

Black_Noise
08-09-2008, 07:31 PM
sweet gauges in the pod below

Windsor58
08-09-2008, 09:25 PM
:argue:
Can i just say that i am jealous.

Me too.
You guys are gonna cost me a lot of money!! I PMed John about pricing for one of these with all the bits and pieces...

magindat
08-10-2008, 12:53 AM
Quote from magindat on D3 sticky thread...

"and the magic is revealed....

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/showcase/files/3/5/4/8/ford24.jpg

14 is the speed sensor and 18 is the signal from the steering wheel remote.

The rest are color coded to match your radio harness if you purchase an adapter harness.

For all AVIC models... DO NOT connect any illumination (orange or orange/white) wires. AVICs have an automatic light sensor built in."

Question... with the AVIC F90BT, did you connect the illumination or did your D3 experience above apply?
I got the harness assembled and removed the factory radio this evening. Found that I needed to trim off the upper and lower lips of the opening. Got it to slide in so will tackle the hookups and setting up the steering wheel controls.

Automatic dim ended with D2. All others need dimmer connected.

rayjay
08-10-2008, 08:05 AM
Sweet unit :up: I wish I had the expertise to install one of these.

HiHo
08-10-2008, 11:43 AM
Sweet unit :up: I wish I had the expertise to install one of these.

I wish I had the sense to know that I don't have the expertise to install one of these. This morning, while fit checking it, I scratched the screen... 2 inch scratch on lower right hand side.:mad2::bigcry::depress:

Plus, I have an Ipod photo that I found out doesn't work with it.

Right now I'm trying to figure out what to do with the incredibly large bundle of wires and cables that won't allow the unit to slid all the way in. And I tried to implement the bypass when wiring up the unit and that doen't seen to work. Prob a bad connection.

Still, I am anxious to get it in. The sound is much better than the factory unit. Just need to work these bugs out.

Got to ask John about a replacement screen now I guess. Though I am thinking of leaving the scratch there as a constant reminder that I should always have a professional do these things.

magindat
08-10-2008, 02:20 PM
I wish I had the sense to know that I don't have the expertise to install one of these. This morning, while fit checking it, I scratched the screen... 2 inch scratch on lower right hand side.:mad2::bigcry::depress:

Plus, I have an Ipod photo that I found out doesn't work with it.

Right now I'm trying to figure out what to do with the incredibly large bundle of wires and cables that won't allow the unit to slid all the way in. And I tried to implement the bypass when wiring up the unit and that doen't seen to work. Prob a bad connection.

Still, I am anxious to get it in. The sound is much better than the factory unit. Just need to work these bugs out.

Got to ask John about a replacement screen now I guess. Though I am thinking of leaving the scratch there as a constant reminder that I should always have a professional do these things.

Cut off half the tray. A dremel works great. I use a roto-zip bit on a 90* cordless drill. Then you'll have the room between that air duct and the place you cut the tray. Also remove the EATC module and you'll be able to reach up from under the radio and guide the wires down. There's a ridiculous amount of room behind the EATC.

offroadkarter
08-11-2008, 11:51 AM
Wow that looks awesome! Great install, as always

burt ragio
08-11-2008, 04:55 PM
If that unit isn't the cats meow. I just might have to start saving for one.

Todd
08-12-2008, 08:12 AM
It looks great bro....

I just wish Pioneer wouldnt keep going smaller and smaller screens on their non-Z line of radios.