PDA

View Full Version : EGR Delete?

FordNut
08-10-2008, 10:32 AM
I'm totally against doing this, but after going to the trouble to extend the wires and get a EGR tube modified to fit I've discovered that it won't fit. Actually it will fit, but the wipers won't if I leave it on.

The blockoff plate is simple enough to make. I suppose the plug for the header is a standard flange fitting cap.

The tune is a question. Turning off the EGR in the tune is simple enough. However, the MAP sensor is integral with the EGR valve on the Marauder. Is the MAP sensor used in the engine controls? Should I connect to the MAP sensor wires on the IAT2 sensor? If so, which wires?

Zack
08-10-2008, 11:24 AM
Ask James what he did with my car, he had some trouble with it.

MM_BKK
08-10-2008, 06:51 PM
Our cars have IAT2 sensor or are you using a different ECM to get that hooked up?

FordNut
08-10-2008, 07:37 PM
Relocated IAT sensor, connected to PCM IAT input (there's only one), physically it's the same as the Cobra which has IAT and MAP as a single unit.

FordNut
08-13-2008, 08:20 AM
Ask James what he did with my car, he had some trouble with it.

Been trying to get ahold of him for 3 days, no luck.

MM_BKK
08-13-2008, 09:42 AM
Hey Fordnut, is this what you're looking for?

If you look on the pin-out file for C1068, I think you only have to worry about pin 3 & 4 and just connect that to your IAT sensor. I believe pin 5 & 6 would be for the MAP sensor hook up.
If you use the stock Cobra IAT2 sensor, pin 1 & 2 (two left pins as looking in to sensor connection) will be for the MAP and 3 & 4 is for IAT.

Hope this helps.

FordNut
08-13-2008, 12:37 PM
Hey Fordnut, is this what you're looking for?

If you look on the pin-out file for C1068, I think you only have to worry about pin 3 & 4 and just connect that to your IAT sensor. I believe pin 5 & 6 would be for the MAP sensor hook up.
If you use the stock Cobra IAT2 sensor, pin 1 & 2 (two left pins as looking in to sensor connection) will be for the MAP and 3 & 4 is for IAT.

Hope this helps.

Very helpful. Here's what I'm doing:

Old Wiring EGR New Sensor
P2 Bn/Wh Vref P2
P3 LB/Rd MAP Input P1
P6 Gy/Rd Sig Rtn P4
Old Wiring MAF
P1 Gy/Rd Sig Rtn P4
P6 Gy/Ye IAT Input P3

Thanks

Zack
08-13-2008, 12:42 PM
Why bother with all that. The MAP sensor isnt even necessary to tune the car.

MM_BKK
08-13-2008, 12:49 PM
He has to bother with at least half of that just for the IAT sensor.
You're not going to tune the IAT sensor out, are you Zack???

Zack
08-13-2008, 12:51 PM
He has to bother with at least half of that just for the IAT sensor.
You're not going to tune the IAT sensor out, are you Zack???

No he doesnt, where did you come up with that one?
The IAT wires are on the MAF harness, and there is a provision somewhere in the discharge plate for the IAT sensor.

MM_BKK
08-13-2008, 01:10 PM
So you're saying he doesn't have to touch the IAT wires and just leave it on the MAF?

If he installs an IAT sensor on the discharge plate, he has to at least rewire from the MAF to the new located IAT.

If he uses a stock Cobra IAT2 sensor, there's four wires on it. Pin 1 & 2 is for MAP and pin 3 & 4 is IAT. This makes it for a very clean install since it will bolt right up with no modification othan than just wiring.

juno
08-13-2008, 01:19 PM
I did not do anything except block it off and cap the other end. Turned off EGR in the tune. May have been another step in the tune, but i don't recall as i turned off the rear o2's at the same time.

Zack
08-13-2008, 01:22 PM
So you're saying he doesn't have to touch the IAT wires and just leave it on the MAF?

If he installs an IAT sensor on the discharge plate, he has to at least rewire from the MAF to the new located IAT.

If he uses a stock Cobra IAT2 sensor, there's four wires on it. Pin 1 & 2 is for MAP and pin 3 & 4 is IAT. This makes it for a very clean install since it will bolt right up with no modification othan than just wiring.

Im aware the wiring from the MAF needs to be extended to the IAT sensor.

In my KB kit I had last year, there was an IAT sensor supplied with 2 pins that was located in the stock Cobra location. That kit is for a Mach 1, so the sensor supplied was for IAT only, since a stock Mach does not need an IAT2.

Zack
08-13-2008, 01:24 PM
You might think this is crazy, but Ive had cars tuned in the past with EVERYTHING turned off, including O2's!
Once youre sure the MAF transfer function is dead on, there is really no need for O2's.

MM_BKK
08-13-2008, 01:45 PM
Im aware the wiring from the MAF needs to be extended to the IAT sensor.

In my KB kit I had last year, there was an IAT sensor supplied with 2 pins that was located in the stock Cobra location. That kit is for a Mach 1, so the sensor supplied was for IAT only, since a stock Mach does not need an IAT2.

How is that IAT sensor install on your KB set up? Was it a threaded unit or plastic push in model? Does it mount in the same way on your Whipple?

Zack
08-13-2008, 01:48 PM
How is that IAT sensor install on your KB set up? Was it a threaded unit or plastic push in model? Does it mount in the same way on your Whipple?

I cant answer that right now.

I will have to pull my Whipple 3.4 out of the trunk of my 59 Cadillac (where it is being temporarily stored :D) and get back to you on that :up:

MM_BKK
08-13-2008, 01:49 PM
You might think this is crazy, but Ive had cars tuned in the past with EVERYTHING turned off, including O2's!
Once youre sure the MAF transfer function is dead on, there is really no need for O2's.

So you tuned the car to run in open-loop only mode? Then it won't really care what the sensors are doing and it would just go by table values.

Doesn't that REALLY hurt the MPG? Since this will be his DD, I would think he wants a reasonal MPG.

MM_BKK
08-13-2008, 01:53 PM

I will have to pull my Whipple 3.4 out of the trunk of my 59 Cadillac (where it is being temporarily stored :D) and get back to you on that :up:

May be FORDNUT can chime in on how the IAT sensor is mounted on the Whipple.

FordNut
08-13-2008, 02:01 PM
The Whipple uses a '03-'04 Cobra style. It pushes into the discharge plate thru an o-ring and has a flange with 2 screws to secure it. The connector is at a right angle and has 4 pins, as descried earlier the sensor has dual functions. It measures temperature after the blower and boost pressure on the Cobra. It is mounted under the inlet plenum to the blower.

One 2-pin style is threaded and screws into a fitting on the manifold. I believe this is the Lightning style. Another 2-pin style simply uses an o-ring to hold it in place. Dunno what it's for.

FordNut
08-13-2008, 02:05 PM

You don't have one. Since the 3.4 is sold as a Cobra upgrade, you are supposed to remove the sensor from the old intake and install it on the new one. You gotta buy a connector and pigtail for it, too.

frdwrnch
08-13-2008, 02:49 PM
EGR Delete requires substantially different tuning mainly because the PCM uses EGR to assist w/spark knock management. Esentially using exhaust gas to dilute the air charge. Deleting EGR should enable a denser air/fuel mix but may require a little less timing?