PDA

View Full Version : S/C Install Update

ChuckB
09-02-2003, 08:44 AM
Thought i'd drop a line to all and update on the Vortec kit from Dennis. Kit arrived Saturday (thanks Dennis for the extra effort in getting it here - really appreciated by me)

My install is going pretty much as the description Zack (thanks again Zack for all your helps) provided in his initial detail so i'll spare all the repeat of accounts. So far the compressor is in, the air filter / MAF relocated, heat exchanger and reservior mounted. it's begining to look pretty darn nice under the hood.

Some slight modifications are needed but to be honest i'm enjoying making this fit exact. But for the overwelming large part the fit / finish of this kit is very good.

i'm estimating the install will take 30 - 40 hrs. for the average guy with some experience. so far i've got about 20 - 25 hrs. invested.

Seeing the 438 hp for Zack's car has really encourage me to get on with it so am hoping to finish by this weekend - it's like that ketsup commercial - anticipation......and new tires.....

mtnh
09-02-2003, 09:13 AM
Chuck, do you expect that the car will pass CA emissions? I don't see why not, but am just curious.

Thanks,

Mike

ChuckB
09-02-2003, 03:50 PM
Mike,

the completely stupid CARB rules for any modification in Ca. require an exemption # for any added part to the motor or emissions systems. for the manufacturers it's a long and expensive process. our "niche" market it's very unlikely - do to cost reasons and return on investment that any manufacturer can or will do this.

this is completely seperate from the "sniffer" part of the test. the "sniffer" should pass no problem but the "visual" EO# will not pass.

i bought the kit knowing this full well and when the time the smog comes around i will do what every other Ca. rodder does, swap the stuffs back.

i'm already planning for this. i've got a second motor (from Ebay) and am planning it's build - can you say stroker and more. The Reinhardt kit will find it's way on to that motor make a bit more boost and we'll see what the out come is. the original motor will only be used for those time when a smog is necessary.

Zack
09-02-2003, 05:23 PM
Congratulations Chuck and Im glad to help. Ive had calls from people in many states so far interseted in the kit. Im happy to talk to anyone about it 708-476-2647
Anyway, I was driving my car for the first time since the dyno tune in Rock Island. I took it by the Ford dealer where everyone stood in awe of its beauty. Then I broke out the dyno report, thats when jaws started to drop to the floor!!
Then I stopped by my old high school where my Auto instructor and 40 students, gawked at my car for a half hour during school hours!! The 200 foot burnout without the help of the brake was the real treat of the day for them! The power this car has on tap is absolutely ridiculous. I cant describe it any other way. Chuck, you are in for a treat.

Marauderer
09-04-2003, 06:44 AM
Is/was your car stock before adding the SC? If so, will you be able to take it to the track so that we can see what the kit will do to a stock car?

Thanks a million,

ChuckB
09-04-2003, 11:00 AM
Hi Marauder,

a few months after i got the MM it took it to the track (Sacramento, Ca) and made some passed. Mostly high 14's with 60 foot time you need a calendar for.

And of coarse after i finish installing the s/c and gears (4.10) i'll take it back.

it will be interesting to see what differences are to be found. but the added torque and HP after talking with Dennis and Zack can be best enjoyed from the seat of the pants. i think it's refered to as the Waa Hoo factor.....

i'm hoping to find the time to finish this weekend. It's difficult at best to steal hours in the week to wrench on the MM.

Dennis Reinhart
09-04-2003, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by Marauderer
Is/was your car stock before adding the SC? If so, will you be able to take it to the track so that we can see what the kit will do to a stock car?

Thanks a million,

This has already been done and documented

Marauderer
09-04-2003, 04:50 PM
Where is the link? What were the numbers?

cyclone03
09-04-2003, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by SergntMac
Gawd, I love your precision timing here...Delicious. You seem to come out of the woodwork just right. My Vortech catalogue has CARB numbers on all products, K?

Mac as far as CA is concerned CARB EO numbers only apply to kits
manufactured and sold as a complete kit,with no changes.So unless the kit for the Marauder has been certified by CA with an EO number it,technically, is not a CARB legal kit.
For example an EO legal 2000 Cobra kit cannot be used as EO legal on a 1998 Cobra even if it fits,unless the Same EO number applies.

The inspection stations check this stuff out there.They bump the EO number against a list,if the numbers don't match you don't pass.

The system sucks because even if you pass the sniffer you fail visual.

No flame just some info from a guy that lived this junk in CA.

cyclone03
09-04-2003, 07:33 PM
Just out of curiosity I would also like to see 1/4 mile times on a Vortex blown Marauder with the ONLY mod the blower,and tuning of course.

This would then be Apples to Apples.

Marauder57
09-04-2003, 08:24 PM
This is getting a little specific here....when you say just a Vortech Blower...do you mean just the blower nothing else? No intercooler? I think most kits are more than just a blower and tuning....and personally I don't know any kit that I would just "Do" the kit and "The Kit and Tuning" alone....I think it has been pretty well documented here on the board......to upgrade the MM with a SC....a wise move would be some other upgrades...in due time if not relatively soon after the SC. With respect to longevity of the vehicle and fine tuning the engine etc..... IMHO... :D

SergntMac
09-05-2003, 03:06 AM
I don't understand all the statements of well documented. I've never seen anything but numbers on a car with 4.30's, headers, TC, driveshaft, 17" tires, then I think 15" if memory serves, etc.

The MM project Reinhart recently completed was fully tested in bone stock trim, and those results are still posted in his forum here. Do a little research and you'll see them in a moment. As for your desire to see a bone stock MM with just a S/C kit, and only a S/C kit performance numbers, that hasn't been accomplished yet, and I believe you know that, so, what's behind your question?

Even in this build, ChuckB is not technically bone stock, his early numbers from the 1320 were gained with a K&N filter system and FlowMaster mufflers, so, your quest continues on, eh?

Let the man build his car, pepper him with the nonsense later.

What did you to do get your exemption from Logan's play nice or don't play at all rule? Is their anyone or anything that you won't jump on? The question still stands unanswered and I must say it is honest, is not loaded or baiting in any way. All I have ever seen is times with other mods, never on a stock car and I have been following it pretty closely.
You make presumptions on my intent, but you are allowed that by this medium. I have no exemption from the play nice rule, neither do you. I call it the way I read it, nothing more.

Originally posted by cyclone03
Mac as far as CA is concerned CARB EO numbers only apply to kits manufactured and sold as a complete kit,with no changes. So unless the kit for the Marauder has been certified by CA with an EO number it,technically, is not a CARB legal kit. For example an EO legal 2000 Cobra kit cannot be used as EO legal on a 1998 Cobra even if it fits, unless the Same EO number applies. The inspection stations check this stuff out there.They bump the EO number against a list,if the numbers don't match you don't pass.
I don't know the ins and outs of dealing with CARB numbers, Lance, but this seem a very narrow doorway to pass through. Ugh! To think that I could add a Vortech kit to my car, but opt for improved hoses and clamps, and I won't pass the inspection? My word...Can I suppose NONE of the many blower kits for the MM are CARB legal?

Dennis Reinhart
09-05-2003, 04:38 AM
OK I have for the first time edited the post, let me say this Vortech is working right no on a Carb certification # and you can some times use the Carb # off of another Super Charger compressor and apply it to another application, but that's up to the authorities in CA, as soon as I know something I will let the club know. So that answers that.

Now if you are specifically asking has any one tested a 03 Marauder with just a blower and no other Mods the answer is NO. But I don't consider spark plugs and a thermostat a modification, its an after market OEM replacement part designed to improve the cars performance. Along with the stage 1 package.
No one with any knowledge about S/C will install a blower with out changing and re'gaping the spark plugs.

I have been doing research and testing this car longer than any one I know. I have made improvements almost every month on this car, first was stage 1 chip plugs stat and gears, then came stage 2, UDP 3000 stall and the exhaust, then stage 3 the SC kit, why would you spend the money for an SC kit without 4:10 gears or change the plugs? the stall converter is an option. so I my self don't see the point to that question, has any one tested a stock Marauder,

If you called me on the phone I would tell you these parts should be added, but that is your choice, I am only here to help I wont allow this to turn into an arguing match, if you have specific questions just pick the phone up and call what's so difficult about that.

I am currently working on a LED information center for our car along with the stainless steel Line brake upgrade kit and a low oil pressure safety system and advisory. Now I believe the proof is here on this site, my kit is out you should be able to make your own comparison, as to the others and base your decision on that.

Dennis A Reinhart

Logan
09-05-2003, 04:41 AM
Now >I'M< confused. No one gets exemptions from my wrath, even the illustrious Sarge. If anything, I've nuked more of his posts in their entirety than anyone else here... But then again, you wouldn't have ever seen them, so you wouldn't know. :)

As for this thread, restart it playing nicely.