PDA

View Full Version : Burnouts in what gear???

vkirkend
08-15-2008, 06:17 AM
When doing burnouts what gear should they be done in to lessen the strain on the transmission. Low gear, Drive? I know that the T/C is disabled....

Blackmobile
08-15-2008, 06:40 AM
2nd Gear....That way it will start in 2nd and stay there to help prevent hitting the rev limiter.:D

Bradley G
08-15-2008, 08:42 AM
I guess it depends on how long and to what extent?
Are you planning a BillyGman style roast the tires to the cords?
If you leave it in 1st you will be speed limited and probably hit the rev limiter.
I leave it in drive.:burnout:

OneBADLsE
08-15-2008, 09:06 AM
Leave it in drive with the overdrive OFF!

Limit your burnout to around 50 MPH i'd say to avoid TC lockup (or depending on your tune)

Vortech347
08-15-2008, 10:02 AM
My last MM couldn't dream of doing a burnout starting in 2nd gear.

Lock that baby in 1st, and just keep em going till you know they're ready. Besides 1st gear in MM's go to like 48-52mph. The 2nd gear in my stang goes to about that same speed.

Blackmobile
08-15-2008, 10:51 AM
My last MM couldn't dream of doing a burnout starting in 2nd gear.

It helps to have a line lock too. But it's still possible in 2nd. If you do it in first you'll be bouncing off the rev limiter. As soon as your tires get up to speed you'll hit it and then RPM's will go down, but then it will go back up again, you guessed it , back to the limiter. But in second you'll have better control of the rpm's, and then it will look like this:

http://www.mercurymarauder.net/showcase/files/3/9/6/9/Moroso02-082.JPG

MM_BKK
08-15-2008, 12:26 PM
I would just lock it in 1st and let the gears to the work. When in manual 1st, you have the low-reverse band applied to help out the mechanical one way clutch this way you're not straining the tranny. I usually then just keep my rpm at about 4500-5000 and don't shift to 2nd. That should be more than enough to get the tires warm and sticky.

Vortech347
08-15-2008, 01:22 PM
Also the only reason to make a burnout like that is if you are running an actual slick. And then just a little bit of smoke for a drag radial. Street tires all it takes is a little squeal to clean the tires off and thats it.

Smoke shows are fun but thats all they are after you get to a point. Just wait till you get a little bit of smoke then roll out of it. To hot and they'll be greasy and you'll do worse. I never do a brake stand on street tires. Slicks and drag radials yes...

Black you've got forced induction and a much higher stall TQ converter. But for an N/A 300rwhp merc there's really no point in using 2nd.

Blackmobile
08-15-2008, 03:12 PM
Also the only reason to make a burnout like that is if you are running an actual slick. And then just a little bit of smoke for a drag radial. Street tires all it takes is a little squeal to clean the tires off and thats it.

Smoke shows are fun but thats all they are after you get to a point. Just wait till you get a little bit of smoke then roll out of it. To hot and they'll be greasy and you'll do worse. I never do a brake stand on street tires. Slicks and drag radials yes...

Black you've got forced induction and a much higher stall TQ converter. But for an N/A 300rwhp merc there's really no point in using 2nd.

This picture was taken after the Tranny work but BEFORE the blower. That was when I did a 13.5 NA. :burnout:

I haven't raced SC yet. Had a little problem.:bigcry:

sailsmen
08-15-2008, 03:28 PM
2nd Gear....That way it will start in 2nd and stay there to help prevent hitting the rev limiter.:D

You may burn up your OD doing it in second.

ImpalaSlayer
08-15-2008, 03:40 PM
i always just put it in drive with od off.

Blackened300a
08-15-2008, 03:42 PM
I drop it in first, When Im in drive, it shifts into second and bogs me down.

CRUZTAKER
08-15-2008, 03:44 PM
i always just put it in drive with od off.

I do the same.

OD off, I just let it shift through and lay into it when it hit three. :dunno:

chucky
08-16-2008, 04:50 AM
a modified car with line loc and slicks 2nd gear is how its done
as someone said above without those things it serves no purpose

DEFYANT
08-16-2008, 07:53 AM
I leave it in drive, OD off.

Be ready for the tires to get real slick. Back when I did my video, I had the tires smokin, holding steady, then like someone through oil under the wheels, they got real slick causing the rpm to spike.

And dont hold it for 60 seconds buring off your drag radials while your transmission is shift up and down. Very bad.

sailsmen
08-16-2008, 08:59 AM
Don't feather the throttle in and out or you can cause a lean condition and pop-goes-the weasel!

Motorhead350
08-16-2008, 09:54 PM
Reverse works too!

I've done some stupid mistakes, but doing it in reverse didn't hurt anything. :o

O's Fan Rich
08-17-2008, 05:06 AM
Reverse works too!

I've done some stupid mistakes, but doing it in reverse didn't hurt anything. :o

Oh thank god... he's thinking birth control!

Motorhead350
08-17-2008, 05:43 PM
Condoms are cheaper than babys!