PDA

View Full Version : Photography suggestions

Eric91Z
08-19-2008, 09:14 PM
OK, in my switch in focuses in life (which included putting the Marauder up for sale), one of the things I would like to pursue as a new hobby is photography.

I bought a Canon S5IS last year and it has been a good camera for point and shoot shots on Auto. I have yet to play with any other options the camera has available as my overall photography knowledge is limited to say the least.

I would like to start exploring the abilities of this camera - especially outdoor shots when hiking, camping, or fishing. So any input you can provide on where to start would be appreciated. Any good books or magazines to pick up and read? Anything that would help explain what some camera shooting options are and the effect on the pictures I am trying to take.

So, let's hear what you think.

Eric91Z
08-20-2008, 07:58 AM
Or any good photography websites to cheeck out that are more "How-To" and Educational sites than just forums? And any good photography related forums you guys like?

MM03MOK
08-20-2008, 08:24 AM
Besides printed material, see if your community offers a continuing education/night class/workshop in photography. Hands-on instruction is a great way to learn. That's how I learned in high school.

Before understanding the bells and whistles of the camera, you'll need to understand basic framing and lighting techniques. There are some things you can manipulate afterwards in your computer but some things you must do/remember when taking the photo that can't easily be corrected or changed. An instamatic camera can take a pleasing picture. It's the composition by the photographer that makes a picture great, not the camera (quality issues aside.)

Eric91Z
08-20-2008, 08:45 AM
Besides printed material, see if your community offers a continuing education/night class/workshop in photography. Hands-on instruction is a great way to learn. That's how I learned in high school.

Before understanding the bells and whistles of the camera, you'll need to understand basic framing and lighting techniques. There are some things you can manipulate afterwards in your computer but some things you must do/remember when taking the photo that can't easily be corrected or changed. An instamatic camera can take a pleasing picture. It's the composition by the photographer that makes a picture great, not the camera (quality issues aside.)

Yeah, that is kind of what I was thinking and what I would like to get more in to. I know there is a lot that goes beyond just the camera and that is the stuff I need to learn.

Thanks for the ideas. I will check in to that.

jdando
08-20-2008, 08:56 AM
Hey Eric;

On the web, http://photography-on-the.net/forum/ is a great resource for Canon shooters.

A book that was moderately helpful was Understanding Exposure, by Bryan Peterson. Available at Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0817463003/bookstorenow57-20)

or you local library.

Also try to hook up with your local shooters lots of cities have "strobists" groups.

I think the first step is to read through the manual and get out of the green box mode. Move to some of the "creative" settings; Av, Tv and eventually to M.

Shoot alot, review you pictures and have fun.

oldekid
08-20-2008, 09:06 AM
Eric,
Sign up on one of the online camera forums. Those sites are loaded with tips, examples and information on most every kind of camera out there. One that I like is The Canon Digital Photography Forum. It has a section for the S5IS. It is easy to join, and once you do, you can post your pics for others to critique and give you advice on how to do better.

Go to Pbase, and search for your camera type. You will find hundreds of photos taken with that camera. When you see one that interests you, go to that person's galleries, and you can see all of their pictures that they are hosting on that site. Most will include the exif information, so you can see what settings each shot was taken with.

My wife has the same camera, and she still pretty much keeps it on auto. It drives me nuts, but she just wants to just shoot and not learn. :rolleyes:

There are other forums out there as well. The internet is loaded with photography info.

Good luck and have fun.
:beer:

oldekid
08-20-2008, 09:07 AM
You are one step ahead of me Jeremy. :burnout:

oldekid
08-20-2008, 09:23 AM
Eric,
Here is another site that is kind of cool. It will show you how different speed and aperature settings will affect a shot.

http://www.photonhead.com/simcam/

Eric91Z
08-20-2008, 10:08 AM
Thanks for the input and suggestions, guys. I found this one, too, for S5 users:

http://www.s5users.com/

CRUZTAKER
08-23-2008, 03:05 PM
I just read a few books and caught a few classes local to me presented by the Cleveland Photographic Society.

I caught several FREE classes from Nikon as an owner presented at our local Dodd camera store.

There is likely such a club near you.
8 weeks of Thursday evenings for $140.
They covered all elements, had hands on presentations, and field trips!

oldekid
08-23-2008, 03:10 PM
I caught several FREE classes from Nikon as an owner presented at our local Dodd camera store.You were brainwashed my friend. :beer:

CRUZTAKER
08-23-2008, 03:21 PM
You were brainwashed my friend. :beer:

I believe everything the 5'9 105 lb veluptious brunette said that day.:P

oldekid
08-23-2008, 03:47 PM
I believe everything the 5'9 105 lb veluptious brunette said that day.:PCool, that means there is still some hope for you. :banana: