PDA

View Full Version : brake problems

screamdennis
08-25-2008, 01:00 AM
hi guys: more of a reader than a writer , i ve read a ton of posting on brake problems and was just wondering if i missed something .
I replaced the rear brakes calipers and pads , also had to replace the rotors . took me a hour and half to get the old ones off , when i got the rotors off the parking brake fell apart . So i replaced everything put it all back together and bleed the brakes , like your suppose to and my brake pedal just sinks to the floor . the car will stop but you have to pump the brake pedal ,so i bleed the brakes again and again still can not get a good pedal. my MM only has 40 k on the clock , any suggestions ? Ive looked into a Maser cylinder and they sell them at schucks starting at $80.0 to 179.00 (close to that ) was hoping the master cylinder wasnt bad , but maybe ? the pedal was mushy even when it was new .
any helpful suggestions would be great thanks:bigcry:

fastblackmerc
08-25-2008, 01:55 AM
How did you bleed the brakes?

screamdennis
08-25-2008, 08:59 AM
i bleed the rr first then the lr , i didnt bleed the fronts they are seperate correct ?

fastblackmerc
08-25-2008, 09:07 AM
Yes the fronts are on a separate circuit.

Sounds like you still have air in the lines.

blackhueys
08-25-2008, 10:48 AM
might need the special ABS tool

Zack
08-25-2008, 11:01 AM
Jack up the entire vehicle.
place pans under each caliper.
Open all bleeder screws
Keep filling the master cylinder, dont let it go dry!
Use about a quart of brake fluid.
Close bleeder screws.
You just flushed your lines and bled them!

LeoVampire
08-25-2008, 11:32 AM
There is an equilizer valve for the brakes. It is supose to shut down either the rear or front brakes to prvent total fliud loss if part of the system has a leak.

You might have set the valve to keep the front brakes from working. Even though you just did the rear brakes you should bleed out all 4 wheels to keep the valve in it's centered possition plus over time brake fluid should be flushed on all 4 wheels anyways.

Always let the calipers gravity bleed first before you start the pressure bleed.

Bleeding all 4 wheels should reset the valve possition if it is not hanging up.

Over time from heating up and cooling down brake fluid builds up moister in the system that is why most steel brake lines rot from the inside out. So bleeding the entire system when it is already opened up is the best way to go. Let it gravity bleed until clean fluid comes out all 4 wheels just make sure you keep the master full of fluid.

BLACKMARAUDER04
08-25-2008, 01:09 PM
If that doesn't work, check the proportioning valve.

LeoVampire
08-25-2008, 01:13 PM
If that doesn't work, check the proportioning valve.

Sorry just didn't use the tech term.