PDA

View Full Version : Fuzzy front speakers

offroadkarter
08-26-2008, 11:59 AM
What would cause my pioneer 4 ways to become unclear and fuzzy? its more noticeable at higher volumes but you can hear it at most levels. Its not like a Psssss its more that the song comes out unclear. My infinitys in the rear dont do this.

Ive been told high volume + under powered = blown out speakers, true?

BAD MERC
08-26-2008, 12:03 PM
Could very well be. Also, the door speakers are subject to rain water and the dirt that accumulates under the weatherstripping. Maybe the voice coils have that crap in them creating the rubbing sound you're getting.

offroadkarter
08-26-2008, 12:09 PM
Maybe the voice coils have that crap in them creating the rubbing sound you're getting.

Not really a rubbing sound, just unclear.

Im gonna pull em out Thursday to look at em.

Pops
08-26-2008, 02:02 PM
Sounds like they are blown out to me. To much volume and not enough amp!

offroadkarter
08-26-2008, 02:30 PM

sweet :(

BigCars4Ever
08-26-2008, 05:42 PM
I had the same thing happen to my front infinitys. It was the sound insullating foam pressing against the cone just lightly. It made them sound like a dixie cup and string telephone. Once I removed the foam they sounded great. The drivers door seems to have less space for the speaker than the passenger door. Just an observation.

offroadkarter
08-26-2008, 05:45 PM
I had the same thing happen to my front infinitys. It was the sound insullating foam pressing against the cone just lightly. It made them sound like a dixie cup and string telephone. Once I removed the foam they sounded great. The drivers door seems to have less space for the speaker than the passenger door. Just an observation.

Ill look into that, thanks.

Windsor58
08-26-2008, 07:15 PM
Does anyone make something like a plastic cup to protect the back of the speakers? Or would that mess up the sound?

2,4shofast
08-26-2008, 07:26 PM
There are a few manufactures that make foam baffles that will eliminate the water and dirt issue. I have used them many times on stereo projects. They dont work as well for larger speakers such as 6X9's that require a lot of power due to the lack of airspace. They wont be quite as loud but it will tighten up the speaker response and give you a much cleaner sound and keep the sound in the cabin and not resonating against the door skin. I normally use XTC products and you can find them almost anywhere for any size speaker.

offroadkarter
08-26-2008, 09:00 PM
crutchfield sells those cheap actually, was considering getting some but, no point now!

GreekGod
08-27-2008, 04:34 AM

AKA destruction by clipping (the amplifier).

I have observed that the door speakers are very well protected from the elements.

offroadkarter
08-27-2008, 07:47 PM
Actually i just tested this again at the car show tonite, i borrowed Crabby125's Ipod, put on some kanye west and put it to volume 15, and ran it to the front, then FL and FR, it was clear. It was alittle distorty from the base/terble being 5/5 and its a basey song, but on 5-10 it was plenty clear.

I think its either A the clearity of these certain songs when i hear it, B a vibration or C. maybe they got crap on em. I will pull them out and visually inspect and test them.