PDA

View Full Version : Close ratio gearset into 4R70W: What to change in the tune?

TedS
08-26-2008, 09:45 PM
I am thinking about having my 4R70W rebuilt with the close-ratio AODE gearset. My car is not a Marauder, but a 2002 Mustang GT 4.6L 2V auto (MHS2). The car is basically stock except for the tune, which I tweaked in SCT Advantage (Pro Racer Package).

I have been reading this board since '03 and I know there is a lot of expertise here. Can anyone tell me what parameters I need to change, to make the car drive well after this mod? So far I know about Auto Trans Gear ratio, and the Upshift and Downshift slopes under each shift in Trans Pressure. Is there anything else?

With the right rear gears and converter, I think the close-ratio gearset will make the car both faster and smoother. Less RPM drop on the 1-2 shift, and less drama from the 3-2 downshift. A slightly taller overdrive promises a little better hwy mileage. But I searched and it doesn't seem to be a popular mod. Have any of the professional tuners on this board done a tune like this for customers before? If you are interested please reply to this thread or send me a pm.
Thanks,
Ted

Zack
08-27-2008, 05:07 AM
First you need to know the internal gear ratios of the AODE.
Then, in the pro racers package, find Gear Ratio, click on it, then enter in the values.
This should get you going!

TedS
09-08-2008, 01:06 AM
Thanks for the response Zack. I knew about that one, and also the Upshift and Downshift "slopes" under Trans Pressure. But has anyone here actually done this mod?? I do believe it will improve driveability, IF we can finesse the PCM program to be "aware" of the new ratios. What else do I need to change? Thanks!