PDA

View Full Version : C6 2nd Gear problem, Fairfax shop/expert??

Thomas C Potter
08-28-2008, 08:00 PM
My 8000 mile C6 will now not go into 2nd gear. I can shift it from 1st to 3rd, works fine. Will I damage anything by driving it this way for another 500 miles (need to get to Hershey!) Anyone know of an excellent trans shop / individual in Fairfax area, that can look at this before I replace?? Thnx

thePunisher
08-29-2008, 09:16 AM
My 8000 mile C6 will now not go into 2nd gear. I can shift it from 1st to 3rd, works fine. Will I damage anything by driving it this way for another 500 miles (need to get to Hershey!) Anyone know of an excellent trans shop / individual in Fairfax area, that can look at this before I replace?? Thnx

either the 2nd gear band broke or the servo is not working.

Stranger in the Black Sedan
08-29-2008, 09:25 AM
Will I damage anything by driving it this way for another 500 miles

Why would you even want to keep driving it this way? What happens if you do end up doing further $$$ damage by chancing it. Never worth it.

I know a dealer tech in Alexandria that is a good guy and does some work on the side. He usually has more side work than he can even handle, but I can certainly ask him if he'd want to take on another job.

Thomas C Potter
08-29-2008, 01:34 PM
Yes, Mr RH, ask him to call me. I would like for someone knowledgable to look at this, and I highly prefer to not leave it at a shop.

I drove another Ford FMX trans for 50k with similar symptons.

TP 703 620-2243

thePunisher
08-29-2008, 02:36 PM
if the band is broken it can be changed with the trans in the car.....the servo can be changed this way also.

69marquis conv
08-29-2008, 04:41 PM
Could it be a faulty modulator valve? Cheap enough to try.

thePunisher
08-29-2008, 04:49 PM
Could it be a faulty modulator valve? Cheap enough to try.

no...a modulator would not show a gear specific symptom. no doubt the intermediate band is not applying... i build race spec c6 trannies....and when 2nd gear goes...the band is burned, broken or the servo wont hold pressure.....

thePunisher
09-02-2008, 11:21 AM
have you checked the band yet?

Breadfan
09-02-2008, 04:25 PM
Try EB3 Motorsports in Chantilly, they are a speed shop and they do work and tuning on older muscle cars as well so they probably have a tech who konws C6s. You could try Excessive too they do Ford's, Fox's and late models but I'm sure they know C6's, they're in manassas

whd507
09-02-2008, 05:09 PM
I had one of the levers that holds the band snap, and do this. its a simple deal to drop the pan, and drop the valve body. I think you can see the band with the valve body in place.

High-C
09-03-2008, 10:29 AM
*nevermind*

whd507
09-07-2008, 11:33 AM
if you ever want to build a bulletproof C-6, get a 68-69 lincoln/T-bird case (429/460) or 66-67 T-bird case (390-428) it has bigger transmission cooler line passages (3/8) and the snap ring grooves are moved back into the housings. they use the same number of clutch/steels, but with a thicker end spacer. if you use normal duty spacers, you can add two clutch/steels per clutch pack. the 429/460 case has a unique pattern, but uses the unused bolthole on these engines and isnt straight across along the top. they did this to fit the A/C system in the 66-69 lincoln/T-bird cars.

the 66 T-bird case was a "green dot" trans with a different valve body, I do not know if there are internal differences in the housing themselves. I dont think so.

thePunisher
09-07-2008, 11:42 AM
if you ever want to build a bulletproof C-6, get a 68-69 lincoln/T-bird case (429/460) or 66-67 T-bird case (390-428) it has bigger transmission cooler line passages (3/8) and the snap ring grooves are moved back into the housings. they use the same number of clutch/steels, but with a thicker end spacer. if you use normal duty spacers, you can add two clutch/steels per clutch pack. the 429/460 case has a unique pattern, but uses the unused bolthole on these engines and isnt straight across along the top. they did this to fit the A/C system in the 66-69 lincoln/T-bird cars.

the 66 T-bird case was a "green dot" trans with a different valve body, I do not know if there are internal differences in the housing themselves. I dont think so.

the cases really arent the issue with the c6 trannies. the internals are what should get the attention. use a rigid band and drill holes in the direct drum to keep fluid on the band at all times. use a billet r-code servo. an "e" servo lever with the stiff spring. i can get 6 clutches in forward drum and 7 in the direct drum. thats almost double the clutch capacity. use a manual valve body cus the c6 needs pressure!!! and i run tractor oil in my trannies. not tranny fluid. Case HY-Tran...... has no friction modifiers in it and has much better lubricity. this is just the tip of the iceberg for modding the c6.

BTw...he fixed his tranny. it was the band adjustment. we spoke on the phone.

Thomas C Potter
09-10-2008, 02:46 PM
Thnx to Joe thePunisher. The adjustment stud was terribly loose. Not much surface area for the lock nut to contact.

thePunisher
09-10-2008, 02:56 PM
Thnx to Joe thePunisher. The adjustment stud was terribly loose. Not much surface area for the lock nut to contact.

ummm...cough, cough...the names paul! ;):burnout::beer:

Thomas C Potter
09-11-2008, 09:16 AM
Sorry, PAUL, your brother Joe is damn good also. Thnx again.